Anyone Watch that Special on Ralph Nader on PBS Last Nite

T. Alan Smith

• Members

The thing that bugs me about Nader is that he's always pushing for more and more government regulations. I've never understood how that's a good thing. He correctly criticizes the US for letting corporations have too much power, but then he turns around and pushes for more government involvement in our lives.

Both of those ideas seem to be contrary to the foundational principles of this nation. Only the Libertarians are anywhere close to what America is all about. I'm all for leaving everyone alone. The role of the government is to provide a standing army for national protection, a judicial system to arbitrate disputes and rights violations, plus some basic public services. That's it.

Yeah...I'll be looking at them as well.

• Members

Yup...it's the
corportate
media that's brainwashing the masses here.

I guess this is the only thing said so far that I don't really agree with. Manipulation, yes! For sure. But not brainwashed. I am only manipulated because I allow it. Do those in power (Corp. Goverment, etc.) share some of the blame? Damn right they do. But, how much more the masses? I agree, corporations, government, special intrest groups, etc. are master markerters. Hence, that's why that libertarian sounded so off to me. Bottom line though, I am to blame for not thinking, listening, engageing.

What say you?

• Members
The thing that bugs me about Nader is that he's always pushing for more and more government regulations. I've never understood how that's a good thing. He correctly criticizes the US for letting corporations have too much power, but then he turns around and pushes for more government involvement in our lives.

Both of those ideas seem to be contrary to the foundational principles of this nation. Only the Libertarians are anywhere close to what America is all about. I'm all for leaving everyone alone. The role of the government is to provide a standing army for national protection, a judicial system to arbitrate disputes and rights violations, plus some basic public services. That's it.

Very, very well said!!
I'm voting for you. :thu:

• CMS Author

But still a
rich
nutjob!
:thu::D

Fo' sho'. Many years ago I was in Bermuda, and while on a little tour I spotted this huge hotel complex up on a hill. Simply gorgeous. It wasn't a hotel....it was one of Perot's mansions. Considering that at the time (around 1990) a 350 sq ft "honeymooner bungalow" was about $400,000, I can only imagine what that spread was worth.

• CMS Author

The solution is NOT a 3rd party. It's fixing the two parties that exist. Establishing a viable 3rd party isn't even feasible in this country. It would take a near revolt. Sorry, but Americans aren't gonna do that. You know it. I know it. Hell, the democrats had the biggest registration campaign ever for the last prez election. How many actually got out to vote? It was pathetic. If you can't even get people to drive to the polling place and punch some chad, how will you get enough to create and support a thrid party?

The only 'real' answer to that is to have someone that a LOT of people can really get excited about. We don't have anyone remotely like this in the race, or in the sidelines. As I wrote before, they all suck.

• Members

The solution is NOT a 3rd party. It's fixing the two parties that exist. Establishing a viable 3rd party isn't even feasible in this country. It would take a near revolt. Sorry, but Americans aren't gonna do that. You know it. I know it. Hell, the democrats had the biggest registration campaign ever for the last prez election. How many actually got out to vote? It was pathetic. If you can't even get people to drive to the polling place and punch some chad, how will you get enough to create and support a thrid party?

Your pretty much right. I'm just more optimistic/hopeful. After all, this country was built on attitudes quite opposite yours. I don't feel right sitting with my head in my hands thinking "it can't be done."

• Members

The only 'real' answer to that is to have someone that a LOT of people can really get excited about. We don't have anyone remotely like this in the race, or in the sidelines. As I wrote before, they all suck.

I see your point.
So what yer sayin though is that we are all SOL, right?
In other words, Eat, Drink, and be Merry playing yer bass, for tomorrow we die.

No, I am compelled to vote. And I wont vote for someone that is the same ole same oLE. (even though I have in the past :))
So, who do I vote for? A nut case!:thu:

• CMS Author

I see your point.

So what yer sayin though is that we are all SOL, right?

In other words, Eat, Drink, and be Merry playing yer bass, for tomorrow we die.

No, I am compelled to vote. And I wont vote for someone that is the same ole same oLE. (even though I have in the past
:)
)

So, who do I vote for? A nut case!
:thu:

The first step in correcting a problem is admitting you have one. That's what I'm doing here....identifying and acknowledging what is really going on. Sorry, but Ron Paul running as a Republican, or as a Libertarian, ain't gonna cut it. If he's the best we got, we gotta keep looking. That's not a negative viewpoint, it's a realistic assessment of where we are.

• Members
Your pretty much right. I'm just more optimistic/hopeful. After all, this country was built on attitudes quite opposite yours. I don't feel right sitting with my head in my hands thinking "it can't be done."

I'm with you there man. However, to be truthful, my hope is streached a bit thin.:cry:

• Moderators

In a political system such as ours, stability is reached only in a two party system. You can have a third party appear and in a time of flux replace an existing party, but at the end of the flux you will be back to a two party system and no better or worse off than today.

• Members

Nice historical piece on Ralph Nader. I learned a few things I didn't know.

PBS has some interesting shows, i.e. Nova (the science stuff not the bug stuff) and my all time favorite..............Frontline.

PD

Yeah, frontline is our fave too. The Mig/Sabre show(Nova, I believe) was way cool last nite.

• Members

Yeah, frontline is our fave too. The Mig/Sabre show(Nova, I believe) was way cool last nite.

Yeah I caught that one. They do a really good job of telling the complete story.

I work at a D-Contractor in the Chicago suburbs and worked with a couple of Sabre drivers who retired several years ago. Heard some very interesting stories on the road at beer call.

PD

Archived