Anyone Watch that Special on Ralph Nader on PBS Last Nite

T. Alan Smith

• Members

Very interesting.

I'm glad I did the right thing in 2000 and 2004. This country desperately needs a government OF the people FOR the people...NOT of corporations for corporations. I realize a successful 3rd party will take time, but it's about simply doing what's right for our country. I'm trying to see the bigger picture. :)

• Members

Didn't see the special. But I'm all for a third party, and often say that if people voted their heart, we very well might have one. Too many people feel if they vote 3rd party, they've thrown away their vote. My point is there are enough people like this to make a 3rd party a viable option. Seems the biggest hump is coallescing what that party should be. Libertarians seem in the lead for it right now, but how do you get them organized and strong?

Frankly, the US is big enough that we could have 4 or 5 viable parties in theory. But this is unlikely in any near future. And more parties doesn't necessarily mean better politics.

• CMS Author

Very interesting.

I'm glad I did the right thing in 2000 and 2004. This country desperately needs a government OF the people FOR the people...NOT of corporations for corporations. I realize a successful 3rd party will take time, but it's about simply doing what's right for our country. I'm trying to see the bigger picture.
:)

I'd love to join in discussion, if I knew WTF you're talking about.

;)

• Members

I'd love to join in discussion, if I knew WTF you're talking about.

;)

It was just a documentary on his life and his legacy. I guess what I'm saying is that I believe government should be made up of people like him instead of career politicians. It also drives me mad how the public allows corporate media to control how we think.

I bring it up here, because I'd like to learn more.

• Members

It was just a documentary on his life and his legacy. I guess what I'm saying is that I believe government should be made up of people like him instead of career politicians. It also drives me mad how the public allows corporate media to control how we think.

Inf1.gif

• Members

Amen and Amen Brother! I am seriously voting 3rd party this time around. This is what's crazy though.

I was listening to the Libertarian canidate for Prez a few weeks ago. She sounded a bit off. I mean, the things she was saying sounded "contrary" to what the norm is. So much in fact that I cringed a little when hearing what she was saying. But after I pondered what she said for awhile it all started making sense. What it taught me was this: I have been so conditioned to think a certain way, when upon hearing the "right" way it first sounds "wrong". That was a scary wake up call for me.

• CMS Author

I agree completely about career politicians. IMO public office should be a once-and-done. It should pay well, because there needs to be some incentive to get good people in. You do your term as governor, Senator, Pres, whatever, and then you're out of running for any other office, for good. There should be an incentive bonus based solely on the ability to fullfill campaign promises.

People who allow media to control their thinking....by not investigating things, or even simply being a bit cynical...are hopeless anyway. Someone's gonna lead 'em down the garden path; it's only a question of who.

• Members

So what is it that keeps folks/us from voting 3rd party anyway?

IMHO I think it is fear. Not fear of the unknown, but fear of the other major party (not ours) getting into power. And we all know that both parties suck in many of the same ways.

• Members

So what is it that keeps folks/us from voting 3rd party anyway?

IMHO I think it is fear. Not fear of the unknown, but fear of the other major party (not ours) getting into power. And we all know that both parties suck in many of the same ways.

Honestly, I believe the media tends to portray 3rd party candidtates a semi-nut jobs. You have to overcome that with an expensive ad blitz before you can get a critical mass to make you eligable to be in the debates, etc. H. Ross Perot had enough clout and money to do it, not many others can.

• CMS Author

Honestly, I believe the media tends to portray 3rd party candidtates a semi-nut jobs. You have to overcome that with an expensive ad blitz before you can get a critical mass to make you eligable to be in the debates, etc. H. Ross Perot had enough clout and money to do it, not many others can.

Yeah, and then he went and did the, "Silicon chips and potato chips" speech, thereby reinstating his position as a nutjob.

• Members

Yup...it's the corportate media that's brainwashing the masses here.

As for fear of the unknown. We're far too complacent. The spirit our forefathers had is all but gone, quite sadly...and all too obvious when you see the masses go for the freaks in the same 2 parties here.

• Members

Amen and Amen Brother! I am seriously voting 3rd party this time around. This is what's crazy though.

I was listening to the Libertarian canidate for Prez a few weeks ago. She sounded a bit off. I mean, the things she was saying sounded "contrary" to what the norm is. So much in fact that I cringed a little when hearing what she was saying. But after I pondered what she said for awhile it all started making sense. What it taught me was this: I have been so conditioned to think a certain way, when upon hearing the "right" way it first sounds "wrong". That was a scary wake up call for me.

I hear ya! :wave:

• Members

The thing that bugs me about Nader is that he's always pushing for more and more government regulations. I've never understood how that's a good thing. He correctly criticizes the US for letting corporations have too much power, but then he turns around and pushes for more government involvement in our lives.

Both of those ideas seem to be contrary to the foundational principles of this nation. Only the Libertarians are anywhere close to what America is all about. I'm all for leaving everyone alone. The role of the government is to provide a standing army for national protection, a judicial system to arbitrate disputes and rights violations, plus some basic public services. That's it.

• Members

The thing that bugs me about Nader is that he's always pushing for more and more government regulations. I've never understood how that's a good thing. He correctly criticizes the US for letting corporations have too much power, but then he turns around and pushes for more government involvement in our lives.

Both of those ideas seem to be contrary to the foundational principles of this nation. Only the Libertarians are anywhere close to what America is all about. I'm all for leaving everyone alone. The role of the government is to provide a standing army for national protection, a judicial system to arbitrate disputes and rights violations, plus some basic public services. That's it.

It's just my opinion (therefore fact), but Nader is a nutjob X 2.

Archived