OT: Stairwell syndrome strikes again!!!

Funkee1

• Members

I almost lost it at Wal- Mart last night.

A great man once said "You always come up with the best retorts in the stairway, coming home from the fight". I can't remember who, but that explains the thread title.

I was 3 customers deep, as were my co- workers, when this jaerk (combination Jackass and jerk) butts in to ask me about the Wiis.

I told him we're out. He asks when we will get more. I said I don't know, then went about my business.

Next, I hear him ask one of my co- workers the same question. He says "Well, Mark already told you we don't have any".

The guy says "Well he just walked away from me!" "Then turns to me and says "That was pretty rude of you, dude! It's you job to answer questions".

I turned on him and said "I'm being rude??? You interrupt me while I am with a customer to ask a stupid question, which I answered, by the way, and I'm being rude????"

Then I caught myself and walked away, before giving him the ass- whoopin he deserved. It ain't worth losing my job over..........:rolleyes:

But............

It occurred to me that what I should have done was yell:

"May I have everyone's attention please?????? Thank you. It seems that this man is more important than any of of you, so we are all now going to drop whatever we are doing and focus on him. It doesn't matter if you were here first. Pleasing him is all that matters. Is that ok with everyone???"

Damn!! I should have done that.

• Members

Prob'ly enough to get fired for too......

At least reprimanded.

You have to let stuff roll off your back. Try being super nice when customers get mad or are stupid. The more angry they get, the more nice you get. Usually annoys the hell out of people.

• Members

Seriously, I would never last a day at Walmart. I'd either beat up a fool, or go crazy there.

+1

Working retail at the places I did was hard enough; I think I'd stab someone before the week ended if I worked at walmart.

It's always fun to be sassy and let the customer know they're being an ass :D:thu:

• Members

Perhaps I am a wus (or maybe it is just being Canadian) but it would never even occur to me to butt in front of others to ask a stupid question......they have just as much right to service in a timely fashion as I do.

As for idiot boy, don't let some total schmuck set the tone for your day or your life. Why get wound up? Sure, he deserves to be made to look like a fool, but it would probably cost you your job, and in the end do you think someone that is that self centered and arrogant would even GET what you were saying?

Stress, it is said, is resisting the urge to choke the living {censored} out of someone who really deserves it. I feel your pain, but no good can come from a negative reaction. Be the bigger and better man: treat the next schmuck with total condesention while pretending they are a total retard and you are just trying to help them. If nothing else you will give your co workers and any customers who 'get it' a good laugh!

Cheers!

• Members
Perhaps I am a wus (or maybe it is just being Canadian) but it would never even occur to me to butt in front of others to ask a stupid question......they have just as much right to service in a timely fashion as I do.

As for idiot boy, don't let some total schmuck set the tone for your day or your life. Why get wound up? Sure, he deserves to be made to look like a fool, but it would probably cost you your job, and in the end do you think someone that is that self centered and arrogant would even GET what you were saying?

Stress, it is said, is resisting the urge to choke the living {censored} out of someone who really deserves it. I feel your pain, but no good can come from a negative reaction. Be the bigger and better man: treat the next schmuck with total condesention while pretending they are a total retard and you are just trying to help them. If nothing else you will give your co workers and any customers who 'get it' a good laugh!

Cheers!

That's what I ended up doing, and the next customer I had was stellar!!!This guy didn't ruin my night!!!Sidenote: A really hot Cougar/MILF asked, and I quote: "What do I have to do to get a Nintendo Wii???"I walked away from that one too, but for very different reasons.......;).....and you don't even wanna know the responses I thought of!:D

• Members

At least reprimanded.

You have to let stuff roll off your back. Try being super nice when customers get mad or are stupid. The more angry they get, the more nice you get. Usually annoys the hell out of people.

+1. The ruder people get, the nicer I respond. Boy, does it piss them off. :D

• Members

Doesn't the holidays just seem to bring out the best in people:rolleyes:

It always seems that the jerks come out about now, its probably due to the stress of the season.

Your job is not worth stooping to some a-hole's level just to get revenge. Although it would be hilarious to see someone get whats deserved:evil:

• Members

Or... you could have...

1) Asked his phone number, explaining that you would call him as soon as one was available. You would even be willing to set it aside for him if he can't make it in right away.

2) Made fliers posting that you had one for sale, cheap, and put his phone number on it.

3) Forget about it.

• Members

Or... you could have...

1) Asked his phone number, explaining that you would call him as soon as one was available. You would even be willing to set it aside for him if he can't make it in right away.

2) Made fliers posting that you had one for sale, cheap, and put his phone number on it.

3) Forget about it.

4) Stab him in the face with a soldering iron.

Does your wife sew? BLAM! Get her to sew that!

• Members

+1

When I worked retail I found that killing them with kindness was always the best option. The more obnoxious the customer would get, the more grotesquely sweet I would act. Drove them crazy to the point that they'd usually catch on and end up laughing at themselves for acting like an asshole and being called out on it.

• Members

At least reprimanded.

You actually told the customer that his question was stupid?!?

Whether it was or not is irrelevant.

Mark, that guy pays your salary (and your boss'), like it or not. If I were your boss, I would've layed into your ass had you done that and I knew about it.

You're working in retail. It comes with the territory as it does with many jobs.

I would NEVER be condescending to one of my customers (be it students at that college where I teach or corporate clients that I conduct training for). Working at Walmart is no different.

Smile. Take care of the customer as best you can. It's what you're being paid to do.

:)

• Members

What I love about my job (I work as a cashier at a grocery store) is that, when I get a bitchy customer, I don't have to be polite, because, short of swearing at or hitting the customer, there's not much I can do to get fired. It'd probably take them a month to replace me :D I should actually test out the limits tomorrow or Friday - I open on Christmas Eve, and we get lineups outside the door before we open, so I don't think they'd fire me for ANYTHING right now. Might also be a good way to milk them for a raise!

Archived