Spector GAS

Undead Sycip

• Members

Okay first of all let me preempt the obvious parody Sphincter GAS :p

Who's got Spectors?

I likes em . They groooooowl. One of my fave bass tones are the lines from Better Than Ezra's Deluxe album. Are the mid priced Classic or Custom series worthy of the Spector name? Do they have the same growl or do I have to look to the Euro line as a minimum to get the same vibe?

• Members

Okay first of all let me preempt the obvious parody Sphincter GAS
:p

Who's got Spectors?

I likes em . They groooooowl. One of my fave bass tones are the lines from Better Than Ezra's Deluxe album. Are the mid priced Classic or Custom series worthy of the Spector name? Do they have the same growl or do I have to look to the Euro line as a minimum to get the same vibe?

The Euro's are killer..anything below that doesn't have the same feel IMO. Of course Bassgeek will argue that:D. The Rebop are nice but the NT Euro's are incredible.

Dan

• Members

I had a Rex Brown sig (Euro), it was a bit of a bitch and needed setting up by a tech. But it was an extremely nice bass for the money, so well finished and made.

You should play one first though, since they have their own vibe, much like warwicks.

• Members

Who's got Spectors?

I have a Czech Rebop 5 string fretless, with a bolt on neck. Great bass. I have played some neck-thrus that I didnt care for as much. I highly recommend playing some before buying to find out if you like them...

• Members

Who's got Spectors?

Don't have one, but I agree with BTE's bass tone. I've seen them live a couple times and those Spectors through his Eden rig is tone to die for!:love:

• Members

:wave:

Rebop with some upgraded pups. It's got kind of a weird tone, hyfi but really, really warm -- that's the only way that I can describe it. Love the tone though!

I put Barts in mine to replace the EMG HZ's. The tone is fan{censored}ingtastic.

• Members

I got em....and if its growl you want, they've got it. Lots of it. Kind of a happy medium between good Fender Jazz bass growl and really insane Warwick growl. (I like both of these examples, but the Spector is the best of both IMO)

I prefer the Euros, both the Rebops and the XLs, but the Legend series from Korea are really nice too. Anything lower than that doesn't do much for me. However, if you look carefully you can get great deals on used Euro basses. I have two and the most expensive one was a little over $600. For the level of bass we are talking about, that is insane. The older models also have better preamps, IMO, than the Spector Tonepump pre, which most folks don't care for. Some have an Aguilar system, mine both have the EMG BTS system and I love it. They NT Euros are a definite step up from the Rebop and Korean models, you might find it worth looking around to find one you can afford.

• Members

I have an MIK Q5 Pro that I like - although I go back and forth between it and my MIK Ibby SR405 as to which one I like best... The Spector is pretty nice, though - and AFAIK that's one of their lower end models...It has a nice neck, and is well put together - tone wise, it has more midrange presence than the 405 does - but with nice clarity...Mine has EMG-HZ pups in it, and they're not bad... I'm no Spector fanboy, but for the price($175 cash) - I couldn't turn it down... It's got a few dings, and I've had to smooth out the back of the neck a bit - but it's still a nice bass with a little character for not much money...

- georgestrings

• Members

I have a Spector, bought it used. I love it but I honestly, I don't even know what model it is. (yes, 'tis sad) Is there anyway for me to find out what model it is? I got it for $550 used on eBay, it's neck-thru, 22 frets, rainbow-black shiny paint job (really cool looking by the way), two EMG-HZ humbuckers, and treble and bass knobs on the bass.

• Members

I have a Spector, bought it used. I love it but I honestly, I don't even know what model it is. (yes, 'tis sad) Is there anyway for me to find out what model it is? I got it for $550 used on eBay, it's neck-thru, 22 frets, rainbow-black shiny paint job (really cool looking by the way), two EMG-HZ humbuckers, and treble and bass knobs on the bass.

Spector has put out a million different models throughout the years. There used to be a page on their website that listed them. I can't seem to find it though.

edit: Found it

• Members

Hey Thanks , these NS2000's are really fantastic basses , all carved maple , neck-thru , brass nut , they got it going on
;)

I've only seen the Thunderbird style spector with that finish, but I think I prefer the one you've got.

I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one of them..............damn I like that!

• Members

I like my Legend, but it's losing it's lustre with me. I love the way it plays, just not the way it sounds.

It has a very low output for an active bass. I'm considering upgrading the electronics to some Barts and an Aguilar OBP-3.

C7

Have you considered another EMG pre? My other Spectors smoke with the HZs.

• Members

I like my Legend, but it's losing it's lustre with me. I love the way it plays, just not the way it sounds.

It has a very low output for an active bass. I'm considering upgrading the electronics to some Barts and an Aguilar OBP-3.

C7

Do it. The barts in my rebop improved the sound 100%--full spectrum, rich tone-- not that it was bad before, but now, sheee-it... and I kept the tone pump pre amp in it, too

Archived