Vonage.

Thrashterpiece

• Members

Anyone here use it? Think about getting it? I just got mine hooked up today and so far so good. As long as the price stays where its at then I think Im done with regular phone companies for good.

If anyone else is about to get it let me know. I can refer you and we can both get two months free. If not, no worries. I wont spam this stuff.

Discuss...

• Members

I'm in Toms River. Been playing for 30 years, started when I was 9 so I'm old but not that old ;).

Unfortunately I broke my ankle sky diving in the beginning of the month (I think the cast comes off tomorrow) so it'll be a few weeks but I'll come back and PM ya to see if you're up for a jam.

Mike

• Members

I thought about switching but Verizon matched their price for me and I stuck with them. One of my friends got it a couple months ago, lasted about a week and they switched back to landline. He said the customer service was horrendous and that it didn't work half the time. I don't know the particulars but there is a lot on the net about bad CS about Vonage.

Dan

• Members

lasted about a week and they switched back to landline. He said the customer service was horrendous and that it didn't work half the time.

yeah, out sourced foreign 1st teer support / customer care... all service providers out source and it's usually a bad first impression IMO.

I will honestly say, if "Vonage" as a whole doesn't work... that's my team fixing it. I can't go into details... but we get {censored} fixed and we get it done yesterday! I've seen 6 layers of management including the CEO in my department white board / laptop / conference bridges with the real scary smart people that are building this stuff.

That said, if someONE is having an issue it's covered by the Customer Care people. The top teer of that line of tech has access to my team (I don't talk to customers at all!)... and those high end customer tech people are pretty quick (I know most of them personally).

THAT said, if one guy doesn't work.... 90% of the time it's his broadband company or his PC hammering a router with junk (spyware / worm / virus).

Unless it was a number porting issue which can take forever if the old provider doesn't want to let go for some reason (# tied to DSL line, billing, etc) or if it's a non "big player" provider as in not a Verizon or MCI, etc.

you cannot please everyone all the time, that's part of life. we are young in a brand new area of technology... and interfacing with the archaic past of telecom.

Mike:

I started @ 12 in 1980... looks like we're both riding the edge of our 40s :poke:

• Members

Yeah I don't have a position either way. I would have switched by Verizon matched the 25 bucks unlimited everything for a minimum of two years so I'm not switching anytime soon. I've never heard complaints from people who's vonage works it;s mainly CS that I hear about.

Dan

yeah, out sourced foreign 1st teer support / customer care... all service providers out source and it's usually a bad first impression IMO.

I will honestly say, if "Vonage" as a whole doesn't work... that's my team fixing it. I can't go into details... but we get {censored} fixed and we get it done yesterday! I've seen 6 layers of management including the CEO in my department white board / laptop / conference bridges with the real scary smart people that are building this stuff.

That said, if someONE is having an issue it's covered by the Customer Care people. The top teer of that line of tech has access to my team (I don't talk to customers at all!)... and those high end customer tech people are pretty quick (I know most of them personally).

THAT said, if one guy doesn't work.... 90% of the time it's his broadband company or his PC hammering a router with junk (spyware / worm / virus).

Unless it was a number porting issue which can take forever if the old provider doesn't want to let go for some reason (# tied to DSL line, billing, etc) or if it's a non "big player" provider as in not a Verizon or MCI, etc.

you cannot please everyone all the time, that's part of life. we are young in a brand new area of technology... and interfacing with the archaic past of telecom.

Mike:

I started @ 12 in 1980... looks like we're both riding the edge of our 40s :poke:

• Members

I should look into this Vonage business. Right now I'm paying $24 a month (after taxes & fees - it's about $15 before) for a local-only landline. I haven't had any problems, but if I could save some cash I'd be up for switching.

• Members

I should look into this Vonage business. Right now I'm paying $24 a month (after taxes & fees - it's about $15 before) for a local-only landline. I haven't had any problems, but if I could save some cash I'd be up for switching.

We don't do "local only". What we do in unlimited nationwide with some unlimited international.

It'd be a little more than you pay now.

• Members

Ah, I see. The savings would come into play for people who normally have a big long distance plan on their phone, no?

yeah pretty much, or even basic local + long distance plans... I think I pay about 1/3 my old regular type plans cost but now I have 2 lines instead of 1 even.

Archived