iPod microphone/recorder

Optimus Prime

• Members

My mom just asked what I wanted for Christmas. I told her I wanted one of those iPod microphone things used for recording lectures and stuff. I'd mainly use it for recording my music lessons so I could practice stuff over and over, and recording stuff in jazz band so I could practice a song multiple times a night instead of 1 time every other day, and record me playing random stuff and over songs. What brand/model should I tell her about? I was looking at the Belkin TuneTalk, it has omni-directional stereo microphones. The recordings don't have to be extremely high quality, but I want it to be OK without a lot of added noise. Any help would be great.

• Members

The Belkin TuneTalk has a line in, does that mean I could go out of my amp, into the recorder and have damn high-quality recordings?

The biggest limiting factor are the bit and sampling rates that the iPod allows as maximums. I forget the numbers exactly, but it's nothing that would make me want to use it for anything more than spoken word or "memo" applications.

This is as I recall. At one point, I was considering buying an iPod and using it for recording, but I felt I'd get better quality from a standalone field recorder.

Dustin

Edit: After some quick Googling I think the numbers are 8KHz sampling rate on pre-5G and at least 22KHz or 44KHz

http://www.macspeech.com/support/index.php?action=kb&article=19.

• Members

The biggest limiting factor are the bit and sampling rates that the iPod allows as maximums. I forget the numbers exactly, but it's nothing that would make me want to use it for anything more than spoken word or "memo" applications.

This is as I recall. At one point, I was considering buying an iPod and using it for recording, but I felt I'd get better quality from a standalone field recorder.

Dustin

I don't really care if it attached to my iPod. What would you suggest for recording a full band, or two people in a room with basses, or me playing something? The only reason I wanted something that connected to my iPod was because it would be faster than plugging one thing into my computer, copying stuff off it, converting it, then uploading it to my iPod.

• Members

44.1 kHz and 22 kHz, is that bad? I don't know anything about recording stuff.

No, 22 or 44 isn't as bad. CD's are recorded at a 44.1 KHz sampling rate, as are most of the mp3's you'll hear. I'm just not sure at the bitrate of the iPod's recording, which is the other half of the puzzle. Then there are other issues such as noise floors and whatnot.

• Members

No, 22 or 44 isn't as bad. CD's are recorded at a 44.1 KHz sampling rate, as are most of the mp3's you'll hear. I'm just not sure at the bitrate of the iPod's recording, which is the other half of the puzzle. Then there are other issues such as noise floors and whatnot.

Google came up with this

-16bit 8khz

-the bitrate (bit rate) is 1411kps instead of the usual and quite adequate 128 kps of most voice and music recordings. So instead of about one megabyte per minute, the audio file uses about ten megabytes per minute

-(320kbps)

-the real issue when it comes to making recordings with an iPod isn

Archived