Should I get a power amp?

mattgaipa87

• Members

Hey guys. I'm getting ready to get a new cab set up and I was wondering on some thoughts. Right now I currently have a GK 1001rb2 with various rack gear like a bbe sonic maximizer and so on. I'm looking into getting Avatar cabs due to how light they are, price(way cheaper!) and the good reviews they get on this very website. I play a 5 string in drop a tuning (I play kinda death/thrash type metal) and I would like to run a 410+212 system. Avatar claims that the 410 is 1,000 rms and the 212 is 500 rms I believe(notice how I didn't say peak).

My worry is that even if I have a 4 ohm set-up, the amp is only rated to about 700 watts power. With the need of loud volume due the the music I play and having two guitarist, should I be investing in a power amp to accompany this? Also what are some good recommendations? I have never had to buy a power amp for bass before, so I'm not sure what I should look for. Keep in mind I don't want to spend a lot of money, but I don't want cheap junk either. I don't need overkill, but I definitely want my speakers to be preforming smoothly.

• Members

Welcome to the forum.:thu:

I dont think you will need another power amp, providing those two cabs are 8 ohm you will feel the earth rumble nicely with the GK head and those Avatar cabs.

That is going to be quite a rig of doom you will have.:cool:

• Members

Yeah, just get 8 ohm cabs. You don't have to be able to max the cabs power wise. A little headroom is always nice. 1001 is a loud head. I run mine thru 410 and 115, plenty of lows lots growling mids and plenty loud.

I would try the amp with 2 cabs before you worry about not having enough power. At 1/2 power I can drown out a loud drummer and 160W fender 212 amp. And besides these amps sound better when pushed a little.

• Members

I figured it would be enough, but I just wanted the thoughts. I think it will be a pretty sick set up. I always like the 115+410 set up, but avatar doesn't have a 115 for sale on there site and a 212 might do something a little different for me anyways. I'm willing to give it a try. I figured that head would handle it.

• Moderators

You don't have to be able to max the cabs power wise.

Sure he will. The thermal ratings of those cabs have nothing to do with their power handling in practice. They simply will not take more than a couple hundred watts in the bass without farting out. However, at the level it will be LOUD.

I'm not picking you Scary Bill here, I'm trying to illustrate that those numbers are next to meaningless and are simply a red herring when setting up a rig.

• Members

So what do you recommend then?

Get the cabs. and run the amp. I bet you will be shocked at how loud it will go.

and kindness is right. I ran a 240W head through a avatar 410 and I could have blown up that cab if I cranked it all the way.

Granted those were Trace tube watts........

But it was loud as hell. You shouldn't need more than what you have.

• Moderators

Get the cabs. and run the amp. I bet you will be shocked at how loud it will go.

and kindness is right. I ran a 240W head through a avatar 410 and I could have blown up that cab if I cranked it all the way.

Granted those were Trace tube watts........

But it was loud as hell. You shouldn't need more than what you have.

+1

Archived