OT: A little computer help, please...

georgestrings

• Members

... My AVG detected a virus a little while ago, and after going through it's paces, I decided to do a system restore to yesterday, to make sure everything is OK - only touble is, when I try to pick a past date for a system restore, it won't let me... Any suggestions??? The OS is XP Pro, if that's any help...

- georgestrings

• Members

... My AVG detected a virus a little while ago, and after going through it's paces, I decided to do a system restore to yesterday, to make sure everything is OK - only touble is, when I try to pick a past date for a system restore, it won't let me... Any suggestions??? The OS is XP Pro, if that's any help...

- georgestrings

It could be that the virus infected your saved state as well, and AVG deleted those files?

At any rate the best thing to do after a viral infection is re-install the O/S from CD.

• Members

Why bother doing a system restore? You have an antivirus for a reason; to clean files. You don't remodel your kitchen everytime you make a mess do you? ;)

Just leave the AV on auto-detect and save yourself some trouble.

• Members

It could be that the virus infected your saved state as well, and AVG deleted those files?

At any rate the best thing to do after a viral infection is re-install the O/S from CD.

The problem with that approach, is that I bought the computer from a used computer place, and don't have the O/S CD... I just talked to the guy I bought it from, and he seems to think that there aren't any problems - and that the reason why I can't restore is because Windows will only allow a system restore a couple of times??? I'll openly admit that I barely know how to use a computer, so I can't dispute what he's saying... After the initial AVG squashing, I AVG scanned it again, and the same virus popped up and was supposedly squashed again - so, I scanned a 3rd time, and it came back showing no virus present... I just panicked when it wouldn't let me do a restore to yesterday... but *maybe* there's nothing to worry about...

- georgestrings

• Members

Why bother doing a system restore? You have an antivirus for a reason; to clean files. You don't remodel your kitchen everytime you make a mess do you?
;)

Just leave the AV on auto-detect and save yourself some trouble.

I was just trying the "better safe than sorry" routine - but as I just posted, I really don't know all that much about computers...

- georgestrings

• Members

The OS is XP Pro, if that's any help...

It's certainly no help to you... :lol:

Run full scans with AV. See what happens. If it can't delete or quarantine the virus, call the company who makes your AV software. You paid money for it (I assume). They should be doing something to help you get rid of the virus.

Just make sure it's all gone. After that, I wouldn't worry about it.

• Members

You'll be fine. If it was thousands of virii corrupting all sorts of stuff all around your system, I'd say go for it. If it was just a couple simple ones that were in all likelihood hidden in some small internet install, it would be a huge waste of your time.

Archived