OT: There has to be a law...

Renfield

• Members

Seriously. This has to cross a few lines, ethical at least if not legal.

Sorry in advance for the length of this, I need to vent. :mad:

I got pulled aside today and "talked too" by my boss, our VP. He wanted to talk about a few issues with me, most are known only to me and him and will stay that way, but one in particular really bothered me. We are a manufacturer and have a sister company that is a large retail store in the same industry. We make a lot of things for them you could say.

Well, one day, on a day off of mine, I went into this store and bought something, I bought a guitar. It was a big promotional guitar, it will likely go up significantly in value, I hope any way. I play bass, I am a bass player. But yes, shocking but true, I own more guitars than I do basses. I do play guitar, I've been in bands, recorded CD's, toured. But I truly am a bassist at heart despite that fact.

Well, it seems the manager of the store found it unusual that I, the bass player would be in there buying such an expensive guitar. Now before you jump to conclusions, let it be known that for this promotion you had to be there in person, in line to buy it. No guitars are reserved, no deals are made, they cost what they cost, take a number and get in line. The fact that I work at the sister company in no way gave me an advantage, I was there 5 hours early getting in line, I sat there all day and they know it. I also paid full retail price, cash in hand, with a smile. I did not even ask about a deal. Well, it's pointless really, I don't get a discount there regardless. :rolleyes:

So I bought my Gibson Robot Guitar just like everyone else, the fair way. I hope that it one day matures into something worth while, because I talked my son's mother, who I have been separated from for 8 years, (who is not wealthy, we make about the same, which is "barely getting by") into splitting 50/50 with me on a gut feeling I had about the investment potential for this guitar. We scraped together the money to buy one together, with the intention of sticking it in the closet, unopened save being checked for quality (perfect) for at least the next 10-15 years, our son is 7. If my gut is right and this pans out, our son will go to University instead of college. :thu: Something neither of us had the chance to do, and we want to do good for him.

So anyway, the manager thought it odd that I'd be in there buying something like that, so he called my boss to ask what is up with it. He didn't know, nobody knew. I chose to keep it to myself as best could be had because it is known that I live on a tight budget, I don't have a lot of money, so why buy that? I felt it was my own thing, a big risk, I had to get a loan for it, we both did, but I went for it all the same. What I buy and where is my business, but really, who cares?

Apparently my boss was "troubled by my odd behaviour" over the matter, was troubled that I didn't speak to him first, to get his ok on it. Umm... I need your permission? Or at least make you aware of what I buy in a public retail store? On my day off? With my hard earned money? :eek:

Other {censored} went down too that I won't get in too. Suffice to say I think there has been irrepairable damage done to my career today, and the vast majority of the things I was accused of, I could disprove through documents, not hear-say and assumptions. I'm already starting to see signs of being leaned on towards the door, and it was only 2 hours left in the day when it all went down. I think I need to find a new job before this one is just taken away from me by one guy that I crossed the wrong way once too many times by standing up for the quality of things. I had our customers happiness and our brand integrity in mind and it's about to cost me my job. :cry:

• Members

If you figure it out, kindly keep it to yourself please. Last thing I need is it getting leaked back that I said what I have. Sometimes you just need to get {censored} off your chest you know? Not healthy to keep things bottled up, and you guys are all I have some times. :cool:

• Members

Well ethically speaking I don't see an issue. But for us to understand, what was it that they accused you of doing? Ethics are huge in my line of work and I honestly don't see what anyone could bring up about it. Your finances and personal life are no ones business. Your work shouldn't be monitoring your personal life at all. Unless you bring discredit upon your place of employment or got some kind of insider "buy this cause it's going to be worth a lot in a few years", then there is no ethics violations or anything that could be construed as unethical.

Dan

• Members

The manager at the store where you bought the guitar had no business calling your boss, and your boss had no business taking you to task for your purchase. I'd tell off the store manager, politely tell your boss it's none of his business, and start looking for a new job.

I'd also contact your HR Department and get their take on your bosses' interest in your personal life.

• Members

Gibson hyped the guitar sufficiently and publicly on their own, I just decided I wanted one, so I got it. Funny thing, while in line, there was 4 different people on the fence about them, would buy if impressed enough. Sitting there for so long, I sold every last one of them on them. I made the store 4 sales that day confirmed, plus my own. All at full price I may reiterate, even mine.

My boss even said that technically I did nothing wrong, but was just troubled by this unusual behaviour. Unusual to me is calling ones boss to ask why they are spending scads of dough in your store. Solely because any other time I have been in there since he's known me (not long), it's to buy a bass.

• Members

Gibson hyped the guitar sufficiently and publicly on their own, I just decided I wanted one, so I got it. Funny thing, while in line, there was 4 different people on the fence about them, would buy if impressed enough. Sitting there for so long, I sold every last one of them on them. I made the store 4 sales that day confirmed, plus my own. All at full price I may reiterate, even mine.

My boss even said that technically I did nothing wrong, but was just troubled by this unusual behaviour. Unusual to me is calling ones boss to ask why they are spending scads of dough in your store. Solely because any other time I have been in there since he's known me (not long), it's to buy a bass.

What did he say was unusual? I would definitely contact your HR dept and a Lawyer to see what they have to say.

Dan

• Members

The manager at the store where you bought the guitar had no business calling your boss, and your boss had no business taking you to task for your purchase. I'd tell off the store manager, politely tell your boss it's none of his business, and start looking for a new job.

I'd also contact your HR Department and get their take on your bosses' interest in your personal life.

+1

That's pretty {censored}ing lame. I'd have told my boss where to shove it. I don't take regular BS, let alone something on this severity as accusing me of things wrongfully.

As a side note do you really think it's going to be worth that much in a few years? That's crazy. (I don't know anything about guitar appreciation, just saying the idea it could inflate so much is unbelievable)

• Members

Pisser is, this is the second time I've felt violated by their actions. The first time, my old departments manager called the same said store to have them access something for him that he can't access from there... my personal credit history/report! :eek: Why is that anybodies business but my own? :mad:

• Members

Actually you know what? I would document all of this while it's fresh on your mind, and use it against them if they ever try to wrongfully fire you. Bring up the "H" word next time he does something like this and say you don't appreciate it.

• Members

Pisser is, this is the second time I've felt violated by their actions. The first time, my old departments manager called the same said store to have them access something for him that he can't access from there... my personal credit history/report!
:eek:
Why is that anybodies business but my own?
:mad:

That is illegal. Contact a lawyer. You have to give consent for them to access your credit report. {censored} even in the military you have to give them permission. I know, because I had to in order to compete for the job I have currently.

Dan

• Members

That is illegal. Contact a lawyer. You have to give consent for them to access your credit report. {censored} even in the military you have to give them permission. I know, because I had to in order to compete for the job I have currently.

Dan

Canadian laws differ. It's illegal here in Alberta too, but maybe not in Ontario.

Also, I'm pretty sure I know who you work for. I don't know which location this was at, so I'll just say I won't shop at any of the GTA stores (if I'm ever around there) in the chain. That's bad business.

Archived