I am so confused and seeking gear/band advice

Joshtruction

• Members

I have been playing bass since about 97. In that time I always got treated with no respect at all as far as a musician. Seems like bands around here just don't want to hear it from the bass player. Finally after 10 years of being treated like crap I gave up, sold all my gear dirt cheap on the spot, and started playing guitar. I always messed around with the guitar at home, but never really played in a band.

Now I play metal. I made the transition easy but my band has found a major problem. We can't find a single bass player. In a year we had one kid come by and jam and he made it clear he was busy with his other bands before he even came by so we knew it was nothing more than a jam session. This has me to the point where I want to start playing bass in the band. 2 problems sit in front of me. 1 I am having such a great time playing the guitar. It's a nice change of pace and keeps me highly motivated. 2 I sold my gear.

As far as everything I just said what do you guys think? Pick up my bass again? The kicker in this situation is my friends are in a signed band. They want to boot their bass player. I am about 99% sure they are going to come to me and want me to play bass for them. Thats just another added bonus to going back to bass.

Now if I do switch back I am unsure what to do as far as gear. I used to run a peavey alpha bass tube preamp into a QSC power amp, with a sonic crapsimiser thrown in. I pushed all that through an ampeg 810 cab, or my 410hln. I got so frustrated and mad when I left my last band I went and pawned all that with my ernie ball bass for 850 bucks to buy a guitar amp. The tone of that rig never really made me happy anyways.

What I do have left over gear wise is my back up head, and back up bass. I have a traynor mono blok 3 head, and a lady luck 5 string bass. The bass is beat to crap, and the head is not at all what I want. I am pretty sure if I get back into the game I am going to try out some vader bass cabinets (also note the second band I am thinking of trying out for has an endorsement deal with them and gets a decent discount which will come into play later this thread). I have had great luck with thier guitar cabs. In fact they are some of the best cabs I have ever had the chance to play/own. What I need to worry about is getting one of them, and a head. I am not too sure what to look for in a bass head really.

I am looking for something that will really add some serious bottom end to a B tuned modern metal band. My eyes have been looking at ampeg SVT4 pro heads, and fender bassman 300's. Problem with the bassman 300 is the size. From the reviews I have read online it sounds like the right amp to me. I'd like something thick that I can get a decent over driven sound with. I am also very open to preamp/power amp combo's too.

Now the kicker on the gear side. I'd need to sell my guitar rig to fund my new bass rig aka loosing battle. I have a peavey 6505 head, crown live in road case for the head (both are like new) genz benz gflex 2x12 cab, and an skb case for the cab. The Vader cab I am looking at alone cost 650. Not sure how deep the discounts get for it either IF I were to join that band.

So all of that being said (sorry for the long read, got lots on my mind) what do you guys think?

• Members

If I were a guitar player in a band that might be asked to be a bass player in another band I'd be woodshedding on the bass I have and wait until I am hired as a bass player before buying or selling any gear.

well I am also saying move to bass in the band I am i now since we can't find a bass player.

• Members

Yes I still have the traynor and the bass. I dislike both of them. I dislike the amp a whole lot more than the bass though. I am going to stick with the abss for a while, I just need to do some work to it. The head just does not make me smile at all... it IS nice and reliable though.

• Members

Yes I still have the traynor and the bass. I dislike both of them. I dislike the amp a whole lot more than the bass though. I am going to stick with the abss for a while, I just need to do some work to it. The head just does not make me smile at all... it IS nice and reliable though.

Well if you're looking for an excuse to spend some cash, that's cool. Go with the Ampeg.

If you're going to end up with an endorsement deal anyway, they're going to tell you what they want you to play and your purchase would be moot.

• Members

if i were you, i'd check out Gallien-Krueger..... best bang for the buck these days, IMO...

if you want an ampeg, try to get one on ebay, an older one.... they recently moved their production to Vietnam..... it sucks, their material never sucked worse.... i think they still make some of their amps in the US... but if you're going with ampeg, be sure to check that out...

but, if its not the CL or the VL Ampegs, i'd recommend the Fender Bassman 300 over Ampeg any day of the week....

but those old Ampegs are the total sex :love: :love: :love:

Archived