need advice on what type of pedals to get

Bassist101

• Members

Well I've actually been playing bass for nearly 8 years... and surprisingly enough the only pedal I have ever used was a wah pedal... I know you must be wondering wtf.. but anyway. I play on a Peavy amp, I play in a band where we play stuff from Metallica to GnR to Black Label Society..... I need to get myself some pedals, I would mostly be looking for a flange, distortion, compressor etc can anybody give me some pointers on what type of gear I should get for this type of style... I don't want a new sound of today I want somethign different than that like an 80's, early 90's sound.. etc etc I play on an '90 peavy

• Members

If you want 80s then you need a chorus.

BOSS CEB3 is safe bet and it sounds very 80ish. EHX Small Clone is another good one (Kurt Cobain used one).

BOSS also makes a nice flanger. The BF3. Someone tested one in Talkbass and found that using the guitar input makes it sound better than using the bass input :lol:

Distortion is more a taste thing IMO. The opinions vary. I use a Dave Hall Amps Vt1 tube OD.

I know nothing about compressors and never use one.

• Members

Cool, thanks, i'll check out that chorus and the Boss BF-3.... I was looking for the BF-2 wich Jason Newsted used.. and I'm buying a Morley Wah vintage that he also used during for whom the bell tolls

he??

that was Cliff Burton

Cliff used a Morley Power Wah Boost, an a 70's Sovtek Big Muff for that one

and the BF-2 sounds alot better then the BF-3, IMO :poke: (i want one, i was to buy one the other day, but im saving for a new amp so i couldnt)

• Members

Oh didn't know burton used the morley wah as well.. I know that newsted used it for the song "for whom the bell tolls" he was using it when I seen them live and in one of their vids as well

jason used to play it live, but Cliff recorded the song... and the whole Ride The Lightning album (which is the album that song is in) ;)

• Members

he??

that was Cliff Burton

Cliff used a Morley Power Wah Boost, an a 70's Sovtek Big Muff for that one

and the BF-2 sounds alot better then the BF-3, IMO :poke: (i want one, i was to buy one the other day, but im saving for a new amp so i couldnt)

The BF2 was my first effect, bought waaaaayyyy back when. I haven't found a flanger I like better, the BF3 included. You can set it to be very subtle, quite similar to a chorus sound, or go all out. There are lots of them out there used in Guitar Centers, on Ebay, or often at the local mom n pop. and they are usually $50 or under, a great buy that you will still be using when Metallica is opening for YOU. :wave:

The best stomp box distortion I've heard from an affordable pedal was from an old RAT.

A decent DI is a great thing to have as well - maybe more important than any effect.

• Members

Nice, What type of gear do you use Poltergeist, bass, amp, pedals? if you dont mind me asking

im gonna get in a few days the following gear:

Gallien-Krueger 1001RBII cabinet

Peavey 410 TVX cabinet

right now i'm using a Fender Rumble 100 combo...

i have a Yamaha BB605 active bass...

a couple of crappy distortion pedals....

by about next year, i'll have lots of new gear... im really saving up and investing in gear...

my next bass is probably gonna be a Dean Hammer 10...

Archived