Road Cases

Givati

• Members

I almost think you'd break even by making them yourself. So unless you want to do it for experience or just for fun, I'd probably just buy them.

Believe me...I'm all for the DIY stuff too. I know Stew Mac has hardware, but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere for cheaper.

I think I'd agree with ya, but the case is for my sons peg fridge. Those are pretty expensive. One on ebay went for $600. He came home yesterday upset cause he already put a small tear in the tolex. I've heard stories about the "weakness" of pegs tolex. I know a real drawback is having the tools to do it. I might pay a small fortune buying tools. Quite the conundrum. :confused:

• Members

Really?

Have you done it? Or know someone how has? sounds interesting.

No...but Avatar as well as a few other companies do it.

Otherwise, at the very least for tools, you'll need a table saw and a Dado blade. You would need to make rabbit joints so everything fit together nice and tight...otherwise it wouldn't be very strong. I suppose you could get by with a skil saw to cut all of the cuts and a router to make the rabbit joints...but it's certainly easier said than done if you have no woodworking skills.

• Members

Otherwise, at the very least for tools, you'll need a table saw and a Dado blade. You would need to make rabbit joints so everything fit together nice and tight...otherwise it wouldn't be very strong. I suppose you could get by with a skil saw to cut all of the cuts and a router to make the rabbit joints...but it's certainly easier said than done if you have no woodworking skills.

Fortunately I have a neighbor who is a tool freak. He's also very helpful. I am sure I could employ his help. Heck, maybe I have a new future in case building. :lol:

• Members

After dragging the feet of my Ampeg SVT-VR head pulling it in and out of the equipment trailer, I looked at road cases and determined that they are all too heavy (and expensive!) Good ones can add anywhere from 25-45lbs. of weight to a head that already weighs 85 lbs.

I cut 4 x 1.5" holes in a board from Home Depot (for the legs to go through) and bought a Tuki soft cover for the head. I then attached bungee cords and casters to the bottom of the board. The bungee cords pull up and around the Tuki cover and supplement Tuki's velcro strap.

Voila! Rolling 5 lb. "soft case". :-)

• Members

I know you can apply it with a brush, but I imagine it wouldn't turn out as good as being sprayed on.

Line X can only be sprayed on by a dealer...you can't brush it on. Herculiner and Rhino Liner are brush ons...

Line X is the best. It's the thickest coating and has a lifetime warranty. They will fix it no matter what you do...no questions asked.

Herculiner is so thin that you need a few extra cans of it just to cover your truck bed enough so you can't see through the liner!

Granted this is all for trucks...not cabs, but I'm fairly certain the same stuff applies.

Archived