Teachers ...how do you deal with students...

Jim-Bass

• Members

...who literally pluck the string (ie., curve their finger and pull the string out) instead of stroking it. I have 2 (early beginners) at the moment who just can't seem to get it....I keep my cool .....one of them will have to cut his nails when he gets there...I can't remember it being so difficult. It wasn't something I had to work on so I'm not sure how to get them on track, despite demonstrating it over and over....'let your fingers do the walking!'.....it's like trying to teach someone to drive and they can't hold the wheel

• Members

Try being very clear and concise. Tell them(and show) to use the fleshy part of the finger to pull the sting parallel to the body of the bass and then allow the string to roll off.

If that doesn't work hit them over the head with the damn bass, because they are unteachable:idea:

• Members

Oh, and if you told me to "Let my fingers do the walking.", I don't think I would know how to pluck either:poke:

As hard as it seems just keep being patiant. I think they'll get. Some people have a little more talent than others, and they take more time to get up to speed.:thu:

• Members

Keep fingers straight, and just pull your hand up and have the finger drag over the strings. I mean, when they get the hang of what they're suppose to do, they'll get it.

What I do is more of a finger-drag...with follow through (at least I try) to where the finger drags up over the string and actually bumps the next string above it (physically above it, not musically).

Caress the string almost...don't pluck it.

• Members

Consider temporarily altering their right hand position so that it's nearly impossible to curl the fingers under the strings. By this I mean have them put their palm so far away from the strings that the only way the can play the strings is with pads of their fingers. When they learn how that feels, and how good it sounds, then let them go back to the correct hand position, but tell them to concentrate on playing with the pads of the fingers, not the nails.

Archived