backup basses

FGABassGuy

• Members

im torn...

if im playing in a cover band (so there is no reason for me to ever really record) and im going to have two basses (say one is a backup, or is in a slightly different tuning) does it make sense for the basses to be identical?, ie, same pickups, same strings, same OB preamp, bridge, etc. or is having two of the same bass just stupid?

im raising this because ive never really seen it discussed on here before, and i might be in the market for some custom basses (so i could theoretically control basically every aspect of the design, hardware, electronics, etc.)

if i were playing with a jazz and the jack went {censored}ty or some other reason arose which would cause me to switch to my backup, would it be smart to have another similar jazz waiting or would it be more reasonable to have else? (even if something else just means different pickups or other options.)

discuss....

• Members

I think that it really doesn't matter, so long as you can get you out of that instrument, in a pinch. :p

A bass is a bass is a bass, but I like JJ configs over pretty much everything else, barring the rare badass HH config, so it'd make more sense for me to have two Jazz basses, due to comfort and preference.

• Members

It depends if you like that sound. You could have another jazz but maybe with a different setup so you would have a different sound.

Personally I have two of the same basses (albeit different variations), one is an 80's model and the other is a new one. Both of them are Aria Pro II's. They have similar sounds, but sound different enough to warrant me having two of them.

:)

• Members

i agree. ive found that i like JJ configs the best, so i would mostly be changing the pickups or electronics...say one with barts and one with SDs or Fender Noiseless.

would the pickups make enough of a difference where i would have to tweak my sound on the fly? i dont think so, but I've never really A/B'd pickups in a live band situation. If one of the basses were active and the other was passive would it make a big enough difference for me to have to change things around?

I'm starting to think that it would be smarter to have some different options if i had two Jazz basses, but i dont really know how much difference the pickups would make. I'm just trying to avoid having a rig set up for one bass and then throwing another in there and having it not sound as good.

• Members

im going to have two basses (say one is a backup, or is in a slightly different tuning) does it make sense for the basses to be identical?, ie, same pickups, same strings, same OB preamp, bridge, etc. or is having two of the same bass just stupid?

Yes, it makes sense:

3LPclonesFXd.jpg

Is it stoopid? No.

Accidents happen or Murphy walks in and your 1st bass is out for the gig, having a backup very close to it makes the gig more tolerable.

NASCAR does the same thing with cars.

• Members

Interesting question, and good thoughts on both sides. The reason I have two Reverend 5L's was the idea to use two identical basses for gigs. I think there's something to be said to be able to plug in a different bass on the fly and not throw a totally different tone to the sound guy all of a sudden. OTOH though, sometimes it might be great to have a much different sound or type of bass on hand. Heck the backup to my LeCompte P/J the last couple times I've played out has been my Steinie Spirit with Bart humbuckers!:p I'd probably go for a bass with a different setup lately, rahter than an identical clone. And also, just because you play in a cover band don't think that you'll never be recording. I'm still on a quest for the ideal recording bass and I'm only just playing covers, but I know we'll have to record some kind of demo for a band website and PR kits sooner or later, and a great recording bass will be key.

• Members

When my Modulus is not available, I just think of it as a chance to see what the songs sound like through my Stingray or Warwick.

It can be fun and eye-opening to play on different gear every once in a while.

Are we artists trying to be creative or typists trying to reproduce the exact same performance every night?

• Members

IMO, it's an approach that makes sense, but isn't entirely necessary... My main gigging 4 string is a Jazz, but I use a P Bass Special(P/J) as it's back-up... sure, they don't sound exactly alike, but I don't think they really have to - after all, *if* you're in need of a back-up, a bit of tonal change isn't going to be the end of the world... Also, I find that my tastes change from time to time - for example, I *used* to think that my Ibby SR-405 was "better" sounding than my Spector Q5 Pro - but after playing one set with the Ibby, and the next with the Spector, I'm thinking differently now - the Spector was much clearer sounding in the mix, and really made an overall difference in my band's sound... If the "back-up" basses were exactly alike, I'd never get to try out different tones in a gigging context...

Also, I fill-in for another band that plays a fair amount of classic rock, and for that gig the P Bass Special becomes the main player, and one of my Jazzes works as a back-up - because to my ears the P sound works better for that band...

The way I see it, the world won't stop turning if you have to employ a different sounding bass as a back-up, but by having one you give yourself some variety/options...

- georgestrings

• Members

When my Modulus is not available, I just think of it as a chance to see what the songs sound like through my Stingray or Warwick.

It can be fun and eye-opening to play on different gear every once in a while.

Are we artists trying to be creative or typists trying to reproduce the exact same performance every night?

Agreed...

- georgestrings

• Members

I used 2 different tunings for most gigs. For a while I used 2 completely different basses (Warrior Model III 5 string w/active Seymour Duncan Basslines & either a Fender Jazz or P bass w/ passive pups). I found that there was such a difference in tones & volume that it was almost impossible to adjust on the fly. I finally went back to playing my '77 Jazz and got a Geddy Lee Jazz as my backup. If your concerned about not freaking out tthe Soundman and maintaining your tone throughout the gig, I'd say simular basses is the way to go.

• Members

I should probably brang a backup but I never do, I can change a string in aboot a minute and I carry a soldering iron with me but still it isn't a bad idea...I'm sure 99 (my other jazz) wouldn't mind getting back out to a gig once in a while. When I played guitar in this one band I always brought a backup and 3 sets of strings and had a friend at the ready in the audience to change strings cause I used to break at least a couple strings per 45 minute set...That's why Bass is my main instrument...a guitar just can't take the pain....but the Bass...

...Sometimes the Bass fights back...

m_fc7dd3286805c84873057716bb682023.jpg

• Members

I don't really consider my other basses as "backup" basses. I use the fretted T-40 most of the time, the fretless T-40 for certain things, and I break out the P bass if I feel like changing things up a bit, or the ABG if I'm at my parents' house and I have no other basses with me or I just feel like throwing some love her way.

Archived