Anyone like Fusion?

Groove Tool

• Members

I hear ya, Postludium. I just haven't met anyone else other than my circle of friends that has heard of Gentle Hearts. The guitar player in my band took lessons from Greg Howe recently via the internet. He said Greg was really easy going and taught him allot. IMO, he is a shredder that I really like.

• Members

JLP IS Fusion personified in my book, Thumper... a violin player of all things. And he has written and performed some incredible work IMO.

Hell Yes, NIACIN. I had a feeling you were into Billy Sheehan when I saw your avatar, Mytola. Killer 3-Piece. I have an album he did with TALAS (I think?...it's in the pile somewhere) and thought he was something cool from the get-go.

• Members

I love fusion!
In the early 70's its was what took me away from rock and toward jazz. Jeff Beck and RTF were my faves until I came upon Brand X (the years with Collins). I kind of call it musicians music. Not many regular folks like fusion. Too intense for em I think..

• Members

I have a friend that started his own pirate radio station, KTHC, 15+ years ago that played nothing but Fusion. He got busted and his equipment hauled off. Damn shame because I would be into it. Other than that, no exposure what so ever. If it wasn't for audiophileimports.com I wouldn't have a Fusion CD collection. I just think it is a damn shame that the pipeline isn't filled with more variety.

Seriously pick up some Jonas Hellborg. He's studied the hell out of indian music and has made this great cross of Rock, Jazz, and Indian music.

Jonas gets mad props because he can rock the hell out of the bass, rip through changes, and play in some wicked time signature... never phoning it in. Check out:

Good People in Times of Evil

Octave of the Holy Innocents (Buckethead like you've never heard him before)

Ars Moriendi (italian frame drummer and Jonas on acoustic bass guitar)

The Word (the late great Tony Williams on drums, Jonas on acoustic bass guitar, and a string section... sublime).

• Members

Depends on the fusion. For one thing, and I may make enemies, I hate Return to Forever. I like other stuff.

Return To Forever seems to vary a lot to me. Romantic Warrior is my #1 favorite album. No Mystery is pretty good. But some of their "soft fusion" stuff with vocals just doesn't do a thing for me.

• Members
I love fusion!

In the early 70's its was what took me away from rock and toward jazz. Jeff Beck and RTF were my faves until I came upon Brand X (the years with Collins). I kind of call it musicians music. Not many regular folks like fusion. Too intense for em I think..

Mmmm hmmm... I like the way you think. :thu:
Intense. That's a good word. Intense Fusion.

excellent thread

• Members

I would like to get into fusion. What I've heard of it I like a lot. Up until now I didn't know what to check out so I'm gonna be checkin out the ones that have already been mentioned. I play guitar and bass but I am music major and play Bari Sax in my Jazz Band at college so it's kinda sad that I don't know who to listen to. Up until now I only knew Weather Report and Chick Corea as we have played some of their pieces.

• Members

I would like to get into fusion. What I've heard of it I like a lot. Up until now I didn't know what to check out so I'm gonna be checkin out the ones that have already been mentioned. I play guitar and bass but I am music major and play Bari Sax in my Jazz Band at college so it's kinda sad that I don't know who to listen to. Up until now I only knew Weather Report and Chick Corea as we have played some of their pieces.

Hit up Miles Davis' electric period, (Bitches Brew, In a Silent Way, Live Evil, On the Corner, etc) to hear where it came from. Then listen to the bands the players from Miles' group went on to form:

(Abbreviated)

John Mclaughlin => Mahavishnu Orchestra => Shakti => the crap he does now.

Chic Corea => Return Forever

Jack DeJohnette => Joe Farrell's "Moon Germs"

Billy Cobham => Mahavishnu => George Duke & Billy Cobham

I think these groups were hitting the Fusion of Jazz and Rock that Miles was getting at but then it, imo, went to {censored}. You can't tell me any of these guys (not the ones I listed) could hold their own in a rock band. The Fusing of world music and various other genres (Electronica) I can kind of see. My beef is that the stuff I'm hearing after these guys sounds like friggen elevator music.

Just one man's (over opinionated) thoughts...

• Members

I get it. I am an RTF fan but get why someone wouldn't. It ain't for everyone. I just don't get why it isn't more popular.

Just like all great music in our culture, it isn't that popular. I honestly think it's because musicians have more developed ears for music and not everyone is a musician. Great jazz, fusion, and classical is too complex for the typical radio listener. I happen to love Return to Forever. Just like all Chick Corea projects the rhythm's and instrumentation are always exciting. I talked my roomate into buying one of their records and he ended up not liking it much. Soooo new record for me!

• Members

I have several Jonas Hellborg cd's and dig them, SpaceGhost. Good call though. As far as reaching into the Fusion Library, I would guess the place to start would be Audiophileimports.com because you can browse for a players name and sometimes they have mp3's posted so you can listen. You can check out the styles.

Archived