Anyone like Fusion?

Groove Tool

• Members

No {censored}. Fusion is a big, vast, varying catagory of music, so I tend to believe that if you like one aspect of it, you are a Fusion fan. SpaceGhost, I see your point but would have to know what bands you would label Style and what you would label Substance. No big deal if you don't like it, Onkel Bob. Doesn't stop me from liking it, right? So cool.

• Members

No {censored}. Fusion is a big, vast, varying catagory of music, so I tend to believe that if you like one aspect of it, you are a Fusion fan. SpaceGhost, I see your point but would have to know what bands you would label Style and what you would label Substance. No big deal if you don't like it, Onkel Bob. Doesn't stop me from liking it, right? So cool.

Don't put words into my mouth. I said I like fusion. Just not Return to Forever. Something about their sound bugs the hell out of me. Probably Stanley Clarke really...

• Members

I see your point but would have to know what bands you would label Style and what you would label Substance.

It honestly comes down to the musicians. John Mclaughlin, for instance. He can play some really really thoughtful and beautiful solos or wail out 10million notes with no substance.

Al Di Meola, in my opinion, is the worst offender. Running up and down scales doesn't bring much to the table... besides how fast you can run up and down scales.

Obviously this is my own opinion, but I think the volume of notes has carried over in the wrong way into newer Jazz/Fusion/whatever you call it. Dudes like Stanley Clarke or McLaughlin were picking up on Coltrane's sheets of sound, not really notes for notes sake. Theres a specif emotion being conveyed behind these notes and I just don't feel it from many bands or musicians.

• Members

Miles Davis - Bitches Brew

Weather Report - Pick an album from them

Jaco - His solo album

Chic Corea - My Spanish Heart

Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow (was just playing this the other day)

Herbie Hancock - Pick an album...probably from early 70's

Zappa - He did quite a bit fusion stuff too, but no one record leaps to mind

• Members

Some fusion is way over my head, but I dig a lot it. I more prefer the stuff from that period after fusion, but before Smooth Jazz, when Lee Ritenour, George Benson, George Duke, et al. were releasing records.

Edit: Those guys re still releasing records, but I mean when they were young lions instead of elder Statesmen!

• Members

Ya, that is the cool thing about Fusion. The title is very vague, so allot falls under the umbrella. I don't like all of it either, but like quite a few niches. Not really into the shredders of Rock, Metal, or Fusion. I have heard some great Al Di Meola (The Infinite Desire), but don't like it all. I'd call Yes and ELP Prog Rock, but they are still a fusion. Saw Steve Morse with Rod M. and Gerry (?) Peeks doing Cruise Missile on tour back in the day. Excellent show. I would consider them Fusion. I guess if I am right, there are more Fusion fans than I realized.

I have a friend that started his own pirate radio station, KTHC, 15+ years ago that played nothing but Fusion. He got busted and his equipment hauled off. Damn shame because I would be into it. Other than that, no exposure what so ever. If it wasn't for audiophileimports.com I wouldn't have a Fusion CD collection. I just think it is a damn shame that the pipeline isn't filled with more variety.

Archived