I've been playing for awhile, getting bored, where to learn righteous booty funk?

animal69

• Members

Jaco could groove like a mother{censored}er, imo.

Groove is way different from being booty-wigglin' funky.

No doubt that Jaco could groove.

A bassist has gotta be able to groove--whether it's bebop, reggae, zydeco, rock, rhumba, blues, whatever ... Bringin' the funk is another effort.

• Members
This is tangential and maybe an unnecessary distraction; but I have to say it: I don't find Jaco funky at all. The original question asked about "righteous booty funk." Jaco is an erudite interprative effort to be funky. His music doesn't make booties shake.

Now go ahead and throw the rocks and rotten fruit at me; I'm expecting it.

I'll never slag off on anybody over their opinion, all's valid in love and music. ;) But allow me to at least defend my position...or better yet, somebody more qualified than me. Asked to pick their favorite Jaco track, several bass players responded. Here's one:

"...There's also 'Come On, Come Over', for Jaco's wicked, funky, kick-ass 16th-note groove." -Nathan East, Bass Player, Sept. '97.

I wasn't referring to his music in general, as I said he could do it when he wanted, and mentioned this track in particular. The booty shake is in the track, and the funk, with the help of the drummer of course, is in Jaco's part, erudition notwithstanding. :thu:

• Members

....within a repetitive funk part the right rhythm section can build the intensity of a groove to the breaking point by messing with the dynamics and continually pushing and pulling with the time, that's why some of those nasty funk lines that keep repeating seem to get funkier as they go along, it's all in the sensitivity of the players and how they manipulate every note and where it sits, the parts themselves are usually pretty easy to play...to play them right is the key.

"Playing funk is also about attitude. If you're not the baddest mother{censored}er out there....it's not as funky as it could be."

...That is half of it right there.

and +1 to evrythang Brother Mango said.

Archived