115 or 410 on top?

jefft

• Members

I have an SWR Black Beauty with a 115 and an SWR Goliath iii cab with 410 and a horn. Does it matter which is stacked on top to get the best sound on stage? I've always assumed the 410 frequences on the floor would get buried, but I also know I don't know squat about this stuff.

• Members

I know that a lot of people put weights on subwoofers (and it works on mine) for a better response... So by that logic I would think the 15 should be on bottom if the cab can handle the weight.

But that's just black magic talking, I don't know what the actual sound science is behind a real answer.

• Members

Try it both ways and see which you like better.

Either one should be able to handle the weight of the other.

edit: Venue can also determine which you prefer. You might like the way it sounds with the 15 on the bottom in one club... and another club may favor the 15 on top. You never know.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rules. People seem to put the larger speakers on the bottom without knowing why they do it. In one case, a 15 is "generally" more bass heavy than 10's. So putting it on the bottom will allow that bass to carry through the floor better. But lower frequencies also drop faster than higher frequencies. So putting it on the top may push the air farther into the audience.

At the end of the day, I doubt you are going to take acoustical and architectural measurements of each club you play in to determine the best configuration. After all, it's a whole lot easier to play one way... swap them around... and see which sounds best.

• Members

Welcome to the Forum!
:wave:

I run 2x10 and 1x15 cabs, and I've tried both options. I like the 2x10 on top, so I can hear the bass more clearly. YMMV.

I used to run a 410 on top of a 115, that was the reasoning behind the 410 being on top - and it worked out that way for me, after trying it both ways...

- georgestrings

Archived