OT: OK.....so what do you all think about this???

Funkee1

• Members

I generally tend to stay away from controversial threads, but....

Will Smith defends alleged Anti- Semitic remark!

LOS ANGELES - Will Smith is angry over celebrity gossip Web site articles that he said misinterpreted a recent remark he made in a Scottish newspaper about Adolf Hitler.

In a story published Saturday in the Daily Record, Smith was quoted saying: "Even Hitler didn't wake up going, 'let me do the most evil thing I can do today.' I think he woke up in the morning and using a twisted, backwards logic, he set out to do what he thought was 'good.'"

The quote was preceded by the writer's observation: "Remarkably, Will believes everyone is basically good."

Over the weekend, dozens of celebrity gossip Web sites posted articles about the comment, many saying that Smith believed that Hitler was a "good" person.

"It is an awful and disgusting lie," Smith said in a statement Monday provided by his publicist. "It speaks to the dangerous power of an ignorant person with a pen. I am incensed and infuriated to have to respond to such ludicrous misinterpretation."

"Adolf Hitler was a vile, heinous vicious killer responsible for one of the greatest acts of evil committed on this planet," read the statement.

Now, I not only agree with his righteous indignation, I also agree with the original statement. This is just like the statement that got Bill Maher fired. Folks, lighten up!

• Members

The media is always going to look too far into anything any celebrity says.

I agree with Smith on all counts. And the "...everyone is basically good" comment is the basic foundation to Thomistic philosophy, which was emphatically Aristotelian. This stuff is taught in the most basic philosophy courses.

In this case, Hitler believed he was doing what was right. It doesn't matter that he was a verifiable nut-job. He believed he was doing what was best for mankind... which makes his intentions "basically good".

• Members

I agree with you guys. Why should we believe anything the media says. Even if what is said backs our dislike of someone like let say Bush for instance, or even Hillary.

I am hyper sensitive to anti-Semitic statements because of my background. I am not offended by Smith's statements. Although, personally I believe Hitler, knew he was committing murder with the Final Solution (separate issue all together I suppose).

• Members

How is this controversial? Did you really think a lot of us would call to have him beat with a cane or something?

Something said was purposely misinterpreted, the writers are {censored}ing idiots, and it's been that way for years.

• Members

How is this controversial? Did you really think a lot of us would call to have him beat with a cane or something?

Something said was purposely misinterpreted, the writers are {censored}ing idiots, and it's been that way for years.

I didn't figure anyone HERE would be offended, and moreover, thought most of you would agree with Will and myself.

However, it is a touchy subject............

Archived