sans amp vs. fulltone bassdriver

michaelcpoulin

• Members

The Fulltone is good if you want two levels of gain and you dont' need a DI.

The Sansamp works as a DI and can add a little dirt. There's also a wet/dry blend knob, something the Fulltone does not have.

They also both sound different, and gain/drive is a personal taste sort of thing. I'll also add that you'll never really know if it works until you try it in a band situation.

So what's my answer? Honestly, you won't know until you buy and try both extensively and only you can answer this question.

• Members

As Jazz said, they aren't the same pedal. I have a Fulltone in my pedalboard, and I've tried the SansAmp. Both are good, but they serve different purposes. If you don't like the SansAmp, try the Aphex Bass Xciter... I've heard good things about it.

What's up JJJ?

Also check out the MXR M-80 DI. Serves the same functions as the Sansamp, but I prefer the tone from it....especially the OD sound.

• Members

What's up JJJ?

Also check out the MXR M-80 DI. Serves the same functions as the Sansamp, but I prefer the tone from it....especially the OD sound.

Hey Juggz! How's it going? I've been alright... things have changed at work and I now have access to HC again, so I was checking it out today.

And for the MXR, I agree, I think it's a good DI/OD that gets overlooked.

• Members

I have both in my signal chain, with the Sansamp being the last piece.

I play the original music scene in the Northeast (NYC, Philly, CT, etc.), and I was driven to get the Sansamp because most every sound guy up here approaches bass the same way: they walk up with a DI, usually a Whirlwind, and take you direct to the board.

Well, I hate that. Not only do my effects sound like $#!^ through a raw DI, but it totally takes makes my tone sterile and subject to the soundguy's whim. Furthermore, it may or may not be an argument if I ask to take the DI out of the back of my amp's head.

My solution was the Sansamp, which allows the signal coming from my pedal board to be as close to "my tone" as possible. My best case scenario is a good mic on my cab, but at least if I'm forced to go direct, then I've got EQ and tube simulation in there.

As previous posters have said, the Fulltone pedal is not for this purpose, although I do consider it to be the best distortion pedal I've ever heard.

• Members

I have both in my signal chain, with the Sansamp being the last piece.

I play the original music scene in the Northeast (NYC, Philly, CT, etc.), and I was driven to get the Sansamp because most every sound guy up here approaches bass the same way: they walk up with a DI, usually a Whirlwind, and take you direct to the board.

Well, I hate that. Not only do my effects sound like $#!^ through a raw DI, but it totally takes makes my tone sterile and subject to the soundguy's whim. Furthermore, it may or may not be an argument if I ask to take the DI out of the back of my amp's head.

My solution was the Sansamp, which allows the signal coming from my pedal board to be as close to "my tone" as possible. My best case scenario is a good mic on my cab, but at least if I'm forced to go direct, then I've got EQ and tube simulation in there.

As previous posters have said, the Fulltone pedal is not for this purpose, although I do consider it to be the best distortion pedal I've ever heard.

Yeah I want to get myself a Phil Jones DI one day for the same reasons...

Archived