Alien vs. Predator: Reqiuem Review Thread

RSBro

• Members

Went and saw this last night and I was downright psyched. It is LEAPS and bounds better than "AvP", and arguably w/in the first 5 minutes it makes the first one unwatchable.

The story takes a little bit to get going, but it's a cool setting IMO. I won't give away much, but all the blood and killing and action the first one was missing, this makes up for it in spades. Definitely takes you back to Aliens and Predator more than anything, as a flat out, bad ass, let's blow everything up that's in sight affair. The casting was pretty iffy, but the Aliens and the Predator made up for it. And there's a pretty cool twist at the end that ties pretty much back to "Alien", which I had to explain to my bro and sis, but once they got it thought it was pretty sweet too. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. ;)

More than likely will go see it again, and the DVD is a keeper. :)

• Members

I'm still scarred from the first one.... I was SOOOO goddamned excited to see that piece of {censored}.
:cry:

I'm glad the second is an improvement though, I'll probably still go see it because I'm an idiot.

Believe me, I know. As a lifelong A & P fan, the PG-13 on pt. 1 just gave away that it was going to be a suckfest, and it was.

This has an R rating for damn good reasons! :thu:

• Members

Believe me, I know. As a lifelong A & P fan, the PG-13 on pt. 1 just gave away that it was going to be a suckfest, and it was.

This has an R rating for damn good reasons!
:thu:

Eeeeexcellent.

Yeah I've always absolutely LOVED AvP. I like both series independandtly, had AvP comics as a kiddo, and preordered tickets to the first movie like a month in advance and convinced ALL my friends to go and ahhh...

• Members

The spillcrew folks tear it up:

http://www.spill.com/movie-review/latest/1

Other reviews have been not-so-glowing as well. I wanted it to be good. Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, RSB. I will probably check it out this weekend. I am just completely bummed out that they keep feeling compelled to bring the Aliens to Earth. To me, part of their mystique was the whole "in space, no one can hear you scream" bit. "In space" not "on Earth". On Earth, everyone can hear you scream because there are billions of people on this rock. :(:D

• Members

I also liked it more than the first, though for different reasons.

For me, the first one tried to tell a story and be a whole movie. With AvPR, the whole plot is really set up within 20 minutes and the rest is just exposition (re: killing {censored}). Which is EXACTLY what the first should have been! Oh yeah, there are humans running around, but really they just break the tension while the Predator isn't hunting.

I also like that it throws all the usual bits out. Little kids? Kill 'em! Pregnant women? Eat 'em! The hot chick who gets closest to naked? Stick her in a wall! I kinda wished they killed that guy, the younger brother too.

To show just how unimportant the humans are, at one point one guy says "We have to protect Kelly." And I distinctly remember thinking "Which one is Kelly?" Only a few of the characters actually get introduced, and most of those get killed anyway!:p

If you want a good movie, no, don't see it. If you want to see Aliens and one bad-ass Predator, plus a Predalien, fight it out, THIS is your movie. Oh yeah, and quite a few very nice death scenes. Sadly, none of the chestburster scenes are remarkable, but after Alien, none of them have been. That was cinematic genius.

• Members

AVP was on cable this weekend, so I watched part of it. What a stupid movie. The predator actually befriends that lady? The original predator would have shot a hole right through her and then ripped her spine out.

I guess there was some killing, blood, and explosions...but I want more from a movie.

I haven't decided if I'll go and see AVP-R yet...

• Members

See, I miss the "magic" of the originals as well, but I am gonna disagree with JJJ a little bit...

I got sick of seeing Sigourney in the movies. She should have been done after Aliens 3. The crew of The Betty were good, solid human characters (I thought). Why couldn't they have built a story around them without using Ripley at all (maybe a reference or two, but not having Sigourney Weaver in the movie). The planet where the original crew of the Nostromo landed had hundreds of Alien eggs, which indicated to me that there were other Aliens in the galaxy somewhere. Not to mention the species has to have a "home planet" somewhere as well. Why not build on that premise? I think anyone who loves the creatures in both these movies like I do can agree that the movie is about the monsters-not the humans, but constantly including the Ripley storyline and/or placing the Aliens on Earth is completely killing the franchise. Time to get the storylines for these movies in some capable hands.

I just think that they could have made it fresh by really getting a decent new human cast that fit the storyline and universe that has been created in these flicks. And remember that Sigourney was pretty much a no-name when Alien came out. ;)

• Members

Ridley Scott has expressed interest in doing a film showing where the Aliens originated, maybe showing the Space Jockey's home world or such. Cameron hasn't put the idea down, either. Unfortunately, Scott at least wants to wait until the AvP franchise is done (soon?) before considering another Alien movie.

• Members

Here's the thing I don't get - why was there a Predalien at all? When an Alien face-grabber-crablike-thing gets a human, the human incubates another regular alien. Why, at the end of the first AVP movie, did the Predator incubate a hybrid? One would think that it would just house a normal Alien, like all other species do. Furthermore, when the Predalien impregnated that woman, she gave birth to five or six normal Aliens, not baby Predaliens. Apparently the Predalien, whose existence hasn't been explained, doesn't need the face-grabber-crablike-things to reproduce, and when it does reproduce, it makes regular Aliens instead of more of itself.

Archived