What does the Rush starman symbol mean?

2tall

• Members

sm1317_450.jpeg

I'm sure their has been many debates about this subject, and maybe even here, although I do not remember one.

I thought for a long time that the red pentagram inside the circle had somthing to do with witchcraft, and the symbol itself is one that some witches use.

The naked man "opposing" or "fearing" the symbol, I thought meant they may have been witches or somthing. Even some of their lyrics support an anti-biblical point of view. Example: THE WEAPON from the Signals cd...

"He's not afraid of your judgment

He knows of horrors worse than your Hell

He's a little bit afraid of dying

But he's a lot more afraid of your lying

And the things that he fears are a weapon to be held against him...

Can any part of life be larger than life?

Even love must be limited by time

And those who push us down that they might climb

Is any killer worth more than his crime?

Like a steely blade in a silken sheath

We don't see what they're made of

They shout about love, but when push comes to shove

They live for the things they're afraid of

And the knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them..."

Recently I have been doing some research on the Freemasons and their influence in our culture, and indeed many cultures worldwide.

The 5 pointed pentagram is just one of the symbols used in their buildings and structures.

The man's feet are also interesting because they are roughly ata 45 degree angle to one another. There is a ritual that the freemasons perform where the feet are in this position.

I also have learned the a 5 pointed star goes back to ancient heiroglyphics, and the Egyptians used it to represent the star Sirius, which is the brightest star in our sky.

What say you?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The 5 pointed pentagram actually has its roots representing fertility and the goddess, Venus..... The shape comes from the fact that the planet (goddess) Venus' celestial flight-path around the visible sky (in conjunctions with Mercury) actually "draws" out the shape of the pentagram in the sky over a course of years ( I think 11 or 12, I cant remember), hence the symbol's origin------ A discussion of how it represents "evil" ("shatains" for those who know the history), is a long and debatable story that I dont feel like getting into.........

• Members

The 5 pointed pentagram actually has its roots representing fertility and the goddess, Venus..... The shape comes from the fact that the planet (goddess) Venus' celestial flight-path around the visible sky (in conjunction with Mercury) actually "draws" out the shape of the pentagram in the sky over a course of years ( I think 11 or 12, I cant remember), hence the symbol's origin------ A discussion of how it represents "evil" ("shatains" for those who know the history), is a long and debatable story that I dont feel like getting into.........

All taken from "The DaVinci Code" I'm assuming. If so, then all that is suspect. :cop:

Thought the poster was talking more about why did Rush use it for their album, not what a pentagram represented....if so, sorry.

• Members

All taken from "The DaVinci Code" I'm assuming. If so, then all that is suspect.
:cop:

Thats just knowledge...As far as Dan Brown is concerned, I dont think every fact that Dan Brown used to write about was suspect: A lot of it is but I guess its up to the reader and the reader's knowledge of history ( if thats the case, everything about history one reads is suspect) to sift through what is gold and what is pyrite........

• Members

Thats just knowledge...As far as Dan Brown is concerned, I dont think every fact that Dan Brown used to write about was suspect: A lot of it is but I guess its up to the reader and the reader's knowledge of history ( if thats the case,
everything
about history one reads is suspect) to sift through what is gold and what is pyrite........

True...but all this is suspect coming from someone that keeps changing their name here on HCBF. :poke:

OH, and doesn't even play the bass anymore in a band! :mad: Though you're good on keyboards....so that makes up for it. :cool:

• Members

The dude sorta reminds me of Howard Roarke:

fountainhead.jpg

Or it could be the mandatory naked man on a progressive rock cover (See Yes' Going for the One).

Neil is on the Ayn Rand bandwagon for sure. Do a little background on his writings and how they go along with Rands thinking/writing.

• Members

The 5 pointed pentagram actually has its roots representing fertility and the goddess, Venus..... The shape comes from the fact that the planet (goddess) Venus' celestial flight-path around the visible sky (in conjunctions with Mercury) actually "draws" out the shape of the pentagram in the sky over a course of years ( I think 11 or 12, I cant remember), hence the symbol's origin------ A discussion of how it represents "evil" ("shatains" for those who know the history), is a long and debatable story that I dont feel like getting into.........

I'm new to all this astrology stuff, but it seems fascinating (to an extent) to me.

Was Venus the same as Isis?

Who was Columbia...I know she stands on government building all over the US.

Theres got to be somthing to all this stuff, I just dont know what.

• Members

Yeah, really...reading WAY too much into it. I'm sure it's more of "hey, this looks kinda cool, let's put it on our album cover".

Yeah, I think there is more to it than just looking cool. Thats WAY over-rated.

This symbol among others is prevalent in our world, but it has been around for thousands of years.

The 5 pointed star is on many of our government buildings, along with other symbols.

These symbols have origins and meanings from ancient times.:cool:

• Members

sm1317_450.jpeg

I'm sure their has been many debates about this subject, and maybe even here, although I do not remember one.

I thought for a long time that the red pentagram inside the circle had somthing to do with witchcraft, and the symbol itself is one that some witches use.

The naked man "opposing" or "fearing" the symbol, I thought meant they may have been witches or somthing. Even some of their lyrics support an anti-biblical point of view. Example: THE WEAPON from the Signals cd...

Recently I have been doing some research on the Freemasons and their influence in our culture, and indeed many cultures worldwide.

The 5 pointed pentagram is just one of the symbols used in their buildings and structures.

The man's feet are also interesting because they are roughly ata 45 degree angle to one another. There is a ritual that the freemasons perform where the feet are in this position.

I also have learned the a 5 pointed star goes back to ancient heiroglyphics, and the Egyptians used it to represent the star Sirius, which is the brightest star in our sky.

What say you?

Actually, that is not a Pentagram. It's just a 5 pointed star with a circle around it. A Pentagram would have intersecting lines running though the middle of it. Granted, the man in front could be obscuring some of those lines but there are places where they should be visable and they aren't.

Also, more accurately, that would be a PentACLE not a PentaGRAM. The Pentacle has the tip of the star facing up which represents spirituality and higher plains. The Pentagram has the tip of the star facing down and repersents more Earthly attributes.

• Members

I didn't read the Da Vinci code but its true that there is a mod 5 between the orbits of the Earth and Venus.

As a consequence, in a geocentric representation of the solar system, Venus's circumvolutions draw the 5 ends of a pentagram.

venusPenta.jpg

Reminds me of the "Spirograph" toy I had when I was a kid! :thu:

Archived