A few beginner bass questions

Epidemik

• Members

I got my first bass for christmas Ibanez GSR100L. Im real excited but im afraid it may not be the right bass for me and im pretty sure the amp isnt what i should be using.

1) Left Handed or Right Handed. Which would you recomend and why? (Im left handed but i know a lot of lefties play right handed basses. It seems like itd be more comfortable but i havent had an opportunity to try out a righthanded

bass yet.

1.5) I currently have a GSR100 (Left Handed). Is the GSR 200 a big upgrade. I have a friend with a GSR200, its older i think and moderately used. Would this be a better buy than getting a new GSR100?

2) Amps. Its best to use a bass amp correct? For xmas, i got a Marshal MG10CD but thats for guitar. Im looking for a good cheap practice bass amp under 85 USD.

The ones i was considering:

(In order of my liking, though im not very knowledgeable)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRABT15

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBX108

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBT108

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIBZ10B

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVMAX126

3) zzounds seems like a good place for getting stuff. Anyone have experience with them or can recommend a good retailer?

4) Effects pedals. Are the cool? Do bassists use effects pedals often. IDK doesnt seem like a bass thing but im kinda starting to dig the idea.

Thats all for now.

Thanks for the help.

• Members

I would suggest trying out RH vs LH and deciding that pretty quick. There's a LOT more RH stuff available so if you're going to end up that way, now is the time to find out.

Other than that, take your time. There's no rush to get an awesome bass or amp. There's a lot to learn, hear, try and practice.

• Members

Not a helluva lot of difference between those basses . . . I'd stick with the GSR100 for a while and put your present funds into a decent amp. Before long you'll learn more about basses and about what you like and want. [This may, however, give rise to a particular Syndrome regarding gear acquisition that makes it hard to settle on any one bass guitar among the many choices and deals out there. Same for amplifiers.]

Speaking of which, don't bother with 15 watt amps with tiny speakers . . . you will not be satisfied for long, if at all. Get at least at 30-40 watt combo, if not 65+ watts. Consider a used amp for best value. Search old threads here for "practice amps" or "used amp value" or such. I'm sure others will post specific amp suggestions.

• Members

OK let's get serious here...

You SHOULD buy a MIA Fender P if you play rock with the biggest Ampeg amp or buy a MIA Fender Jazz if you play funk with the biggest Eden amp if you play funk.

Or...

you can be reasonable and learn the instrument first.

You should go to the nearest guitar shop (or ask a friend who has a right-handed bass) and try to figure out what you prefer. You could also find a teacher in your area that could help you decide. Lefties are sometimes harder to find but it's not the end of the world.

For the amp, do you need a big amp because you play with a heavy rock band? Or it's just for playing alone at home? I suggest a used amp considering your budget. You may get a good deal on a bigger amp that will give more satisfaction than a low wattage amp that is going to be pretty useless in a band situation.

My final suggestion : find a teacher or someone that plays a lot and ask him/her to help you out. That's what I did with one of my students. I told him to get a deep breathe, made a good setup in the bass and helped him find his way. Be patient. The greatest gear in the world won't make you the greatest bassist.

Welcome aboard! :wave:

• Members

OK! Epidemik, put your glasses on, and pay attention!

You're gonna get a lot of bad advice in this music thing, but this isn't bad advice ...

If you're truly just beginning, there is no "comfortable" right now. So, if you go testing right & left-hand basses and find one more comfortable, the extra level of comfort is likely to be negligible.

Holding the bass is weird, coordinating your hands is weird, skipping strings is weird. That's weird for anyone starting the bass--right or left-handed.

As a fellow lefty, I say commit yourself to playing a right-handed bass. You'll be comfortable in the same amount of time as would a righty playing a right-handed bass.

Many times I've been in situations where playing lefthanded would have been a mess.

Break a string and there's no time to restring, but the right-handed house bass available.

Found out about a great deal on a fretless bass. Didn't have to ask, "But is it lefthanded?"

It's easier to share with people and loan a bass to someone in a pinch.

It's fun to attend Get-Togethers, and everyone gets to play my whammy bar bass. That's weird enough. Imagine if it was also lefthanded. That'd be the most unholy spectacle of spectacles.

I don't even think about being lefthanded & playing righthanded until a fellow lefty asks this question.

So, stop with this question and let's all get back to work!

• Moderators

Play right handed.

Get a used bass instead of a new one to get more bass for your money and to lose less if you later resell it.

Don't worry much about the amp if you are spending that little. It will be useless for all but the quietest situations. When the time co$es to be heard, you'll need to spend hundreds more (note: not thousands).

Zzounds is fine. So is Music123 and Sweetwater and Musiciansfriend and ...

Don't worry about effects... yet.

• Members

Play right handed.

+1 to Brother Mango

Kindness (as usual) is right on target and that is the best advice if you have the gumption to try it...... I think every lefty here on the forum will tell you that they can walk in any music store with 500 basses but they can only try out 1 or 2 because the store only has a few left-handed instruments.... ....There is no right or wrong here, but - at this stage - try and learn to play right-handed....If you can't, play lefty but don't forget that, if ya so feel the spirit move ya, there is nothing wrong with playing a right-handed instrument upside-down ( Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets comes to mind)

• Members

Play right handed.

Get a used bass instead of a new one to get more bass for your money and to lose less if you later resell it.

Don't worry much about the amp if you are spending that little. It will be useless for all but the quietest situations. When the time co$es to be heard, you'll need to spend hundreds more (note: not thousands).

Zzounds is fine. So is Music123 and Sweetwater and Musiciansfriend and ...

Don't worry about effects... yet.

Yep, yep, yep and yep.

Listen to Kindness. :thu:

• Members

Congratulations first off for stopping by the right place to ask questions and welcome to the forum!

It certainly seems like everyone is in agreement about the right handed remark. I'm a lefty, tried and true. I don't think for the life of me, I could play the bass any thing but right handed. Congratulations on being in your right mind by the way!

Aside from that, the only difference between the 100 and the 200 is that the 200 is "active", ie; you use a 9 volt battery in the bass and even then it's only for the "bass boost" which is from a chip inside the bass that acts as an eq. Ideally, it isn't worth spending the money. However, the pickups from the factory aren't so great. I suggest replacing them, you WILL notice an improvement.

I think you've already answered the question about the bass amp as opposed to guitar amp. If you search around here you'll find out a lot more about it. But yes, use a bass amp.

If you're so inclined, I have a IBZ10B that I've had for about 2 years and it's in excellent condition. I have played it oh, less than 20 times. You can have it, provided you pay for the cost of shipping. Feel free to send me a private message.

SB900LE is right though, after a while you won't be happy with it, cuz if you keep playing, eventually you'll want something better!

• Members

+1 to Brother Mango

Kindness (as usual) is right on target and that is the best advice if you have the gumption to try it...... I think every lefty here on the forum will tell you that they can walk in any music store with 500 basses but they can only try out 1 or 2 because the store only has a few left-handed instruments.... ....There is no right or wrong here, but - at this stage - try and learn to play right-handed....If you can't, play lefty but don't forget that, if ya so feel the spirit move ya, there is nothing wrong with playing a right-handed instrument upside-down ( Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets comes to mind)

Correction: "... can only try 1, 2 or zero ..."

DRF, good Lord, the truly most unholy spectacles of spectacles would be a righthanded whammy bar bass that's being played upside down by a lefty. :cry::eek:

:cop: Let's not even pollute our minds with such imagery.

• Members

Wow.

Thanks for all the replies. This forum is awesome :thu:

So, i'll get to try the right handed gsr200 today or tomorrow but im pretty sure ill go for it. Just holding my hands in that position feels more comfortable (air bassing).

Still not sure about the amp, ill probably go for the peavey or the crate ause they got the best reviews but im also poking around looking for something used.

How cautions do i need to be when buying used amps. Like if I get a good deal on an amp off ebay or something, is there a good chance its gonna be broken in some way?

• Members

dont worry about anything else right now then to find which hand are you more comfortable playing with...

... and then, dont worry about effects and stuff, just spend your money on a good bass and just get the cheapest amp you can find, and start saving up for your next (and real) amp :D

...when you have more experience, you'll want more and better gear... this happens to all of us... and you'll most likely feel an urge to start experimenting with pedals and stuff....

.... everything in it's time.........

.... ohh! and welcome!

• Members

I've always had good luck with buying used gear, but I prefer to buy it when I can try it out...so usually from a store. Pretty much all of gear (basses, amps, guitars, pedals...) was used...

If you buy from a place where you can't try, like Ebay, be cautious. Ask as many questions as you can, and if you're confused...ask us!

• Members

I got my first bass for christmas Ibanez GSR100L. Im real excited but im afraid it may not be the right bass for me and im pretty sure the amp isnt what i should be using.

1) Left Handed or Right Handed. Which would you recomend and why? (Im left handed but i know a lot of lefties play right handed basses. It seems like itd be more comfortable but i havent had an opportunity to try out a righthanded

bass yet.

1.5) I currently have a GSR100 (Left Handed). Is the GSR 200 a big upgrade. I have a friend with a GSR200, its older i think and moderately used. Would this be a better buy than getting a new GSR100?

2) Amps. Its best to use a bass amp correct? For xmas, i got a
Marshal MG10CD
but thats for guitar. Im looking for a good cheap practice bass amp under 85 USD.

The ones i was considering:

(In order of my liking, though im not very knowledgeable)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CRABT15

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBX108

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHBT108

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAIBZ10B

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVMAX126

3) zzounds seems like a good place for getting stuff. Anyone have experience with them or can recommend a good retailer?

4) Effects pedals. Are the cool? Do bassists use effects pedals often. IDK doesnt seem like a bass thing but im kinda starting to dig the idea.

Thats all for now.

Thanks for the help.

Dude don't listen to the people here that hate on lefties. I had the choice of playing right or left handed and was told to play right handed... I chose lefty and am glad I did. Whenever I try to play right handed it feels weird as hell, but lefty felt comfortable from the start. I am sure that my playing is better because of that choice alone. I have no problems finding basses, I shop on www.rondomusic.com for all my bass needs. :D

About the bass - your bass is fine. Until you are 100% serious about being a bassist and you have a decent knowledge about basses you should hold off on buying a new one. A GSR100 is a perfectly good starter bass. If you want a practice amp I suggest looking on craigslist.com for a used amp, it will save you big time and you'll net a better amp.

Just my 2 cents. :idea:

• Members

I am left handed but play right handed my advice would be to learn righty you'll be ok either way but playing lefty has to many draw backs. as for an amp any of those will work BUT very quickly you will want something bigger trust me on that I would look at used stuff and try to find something in the50-100 watt area just because it can be louder doesn't mean it has to be if your worried about the naibors. and when the time comes that you want to start playing with someone else you won't have to get a new rig right away. And welcome to HCBF:wave:

Archived