The Death of High Fidelity

Goofball Jones

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

In every blind sound test albums and tapes beat CD's and MP3's for sound because of the harmonics that are present that mimic live sound. I think fidelity died a while back.

Don't confuse what sounds good with fidelity. Fidelity is accuracy, and reel-to-reel tapes and CDs are much more accurate than LPs. LPs may sound good, but they are not a higher fidelity medium.

• Members
I wonder if the folks in this thread could tell the difference between a 256k encoded MP3, a CD, a cassette and an LP all played through the same system.

The test would have to be double-blind of course.

;)

I think it would depend on the system it was played back through. A cheap boom box will not not show the same limitations as a $5000 sound system(or even $200)

A better sound system will bring inadequacies to surface quick, but to some it won't matter. My wife can't tell the difference between an SX P fretless and a Warwick:eek: Different strokes I guess.

• Members
I think it would depend on the system it was played back through. A cheap boom box will not not show the same limitations as a $5000 sound system(or even $200)

A better sound system will bring inadequacies to surface quick, but to some it won't matter. My wife can't tell the difference between an SX P fretless and a Warwick:eek: Different strokes I guess.

I think reality should be a part of the test. My assumption is that no one in this thread has a $5000 sound system that they use to regularly listen to music on so using such a system is a waste.

As far as your wife not telling the difference between an SX and a Warwick, I'd venture to say that no one at a bar can tell the difference either.
;)

• Members
I think reality should be a part of the test. My assumption is that no one in this thread has a $5000 sound system that they use to regularly listen to music on so using such a system is a waste.

As far as your wife not telling the difference between an SX and a Warwick, I'd venture to say that no one at a bar can tell the difference either.

;)

I do agree here, I was just stating this for arguments sake.

Every speaker setup I have is decent enough to tell low quality vs. high quality music format. I have lot of Klipsh audio(not the best, but very good) for my main entertainment center and my computer. I don't like to listen to {censored}ty speakers. I have always liked bass, and I want to hear it.

I can hear that something is missing on MP3's @ 128kb/s and less. 192kb/s is much better. I know someone that had an awesome system from the 70's. The LP's sounded great, even compared to the CD's that were digitally remastered. That system would be about $10,000 now, thats asuming you kind find this kind of quality now. He tried to replace the record player and could not find anything as well built.

I also agree that no one in a bar cares what kind of bass you play, unless there are other bass players in the room. And even if they notice, it's going to be the playing and not the "tone".

• Members

Well, mostly I was just joking around.
But also I was kinda saying that if you are happy listening to music on your stereo, then do it. Otherwise save up and buy different stuff.

This was also playing along with bnyswonger's comment. I took his comment as being a joke (:cop:) and was poking fun at you(:poke:). If I offended you, I will withdraw my comments as this just was a friendly conversation.:p

• Members
Well, mostly I was just joking around.

But also I was kinda saying that if you are happy listening to music on your stereo, then do it. Otherwise save up and buy different stuff.

This was also playing along with bnyswonger's comment. I took his comment as being a joke (
:cop:
) and was poking fun at you(:poke:). If I offended you, I will withdraw my comments as this just was a friendly conversation.
:p

No offense. I just didn't get it. I'm a little slow.
:)

• Members

I don't think that you are slow! I am from time to time unclear, though.

So, how do we go about this "Mythbusting".:idea: We could listen to different rips of the same song( different quality's), but I still think that the average person won't hear what I hear( and probably others on HCBF). I don't mean this as a boast, either. I am just really picky:mad: It pisses me of to listen to FM radio sometimes, just because of the over compression and what not.

I guess my long-winded point is: Most people don't notice, care, or have the necessary equipment to distinguish between really accurate reproduction and an OK reproduction.:lol:

This is the reason sound quality is down. The average person doesn't care.

• Members

To answer your question, Jeff - I've had nice systems in the past - can't really afford one now. I have some pedestrian yamaha 3 ways and a harmon kardon reciever in the family room. The ex wound up with the nice JBL L100s.

When I want to listen to something closely, I take it down to my studio and listen through the monitors.

I feel very comfortable in being able differentiate between an MP3 file and a CD through any relatively accurate system if you played them both back to back.

CDs and LPs are a little tougher, a lot depends on how the record was mastered and the playback equipment. ;)

• Moderators

I feel very comfortable in being able differentiate between an MP3 file and a CD through any relatively accurate system if you played them both back to back.

CDs and LPs are a little tougher, a lot depends on how the record was mastered and the playback equipment.
;)

I'm with you 100%.

edit: I'm referring to what people commonly use as MP3s. I haven't spent any time listening to the highest rate conversions.

• Members

For the record:

I'm a fan of "hot" signals with wide dynamic range.

However, as a parent and condo dweller, it's MUCH more practical to set the volume at a level that is appropriate and not have to worry about "surprises" when the dynamics catch you off guard.

I can't count the number of times I've been watching movies at a level where the dialogue is barely audible and the action sequences rattle the windows.

If all of my music was like that, I'd enjoy it much less...

• Members

Can I tell the difference between an LP and a CD? I can sometimes. For instance I can tell the difference between my LP version of "Physical Graffiti" and the recent "remastered" CD version of it.

Going in blind on a recent song or album I'm not familiar with though, no...I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between a CD and an LP. A CD and an mp3 though? I'd like to say I could, but who knows. All depends on the encoding of the mp3 etc etc.

• Moderators

The easiest distinction between a lower res MP3 and a CD is the "slurring" of the cymbals and lyrics. Scary Bill mentioned the difference between 128 and 192 kb/s. The 192 is very listenable to me although I still notice some slight cluttering. It doesn't impact my listening experience.

• Members

The easiest distinction between a lower res MP3 and a CD is the "slurring" of the cymbals and lyrics. Scary Bill mentioned the difference between 128 and 192 kb/s. The 192 is very listenable to me although I still notice some slight cluttering. It doesn't impact my listening experience.

I don't doubt this. I encode all of my MP3's at 192kbps and higher and find the quality just fine for me regardless of where I play them...home...office...portable player...van.

• Members

Don't confuse what sounds good with fidelity. Fidelity is accuracy, and reel-to-reel tapes and CDs are much more accurate than LPs. LPs may sound good, but they are not a higher fidelity medium.

Well, be that as it may, then what good is it if it has higher fidelity but sounds worse?

• Moderators
Well, be that as it may, then what good is it if it has higher fidelity but sounds worse?

:confused:

It's more accurate.

Ever see the Matrix? Morpheus offers Neo a red pill and a blue pill. The blue pill will keep him in the matrix, unaware of reality. The red pill will reveal the truth.

High fidelity is all about audio truth. A high fidelity system's goal is to let you hear how the recording actually sounds. Bad recordings will sound bad. Good recordings will sound good. Superb recordings will sound superb. That's what good it is. It's a red pill attitude.

Archived