The Death of High Fidelity

Goofball Jones

• Members

There is an article over at Rolling Stone about "In the age of MP3s, sound quality is worse than ever".

It's an interesting article...talking about sound compression and how producers are gearing music now to play through little computer speakers and what-not while we're losing fidelity.

I know it's been talked about before, but this article is pretty comprehensive.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well to look at it from the "wrong" side here, if you know 75+% of your listeners are going to be hearing the mix through hundredths of an inch earbud drivers, you tailor it to suit those needs and compress the hell out of it to accomplish the best sound possible.

I missed out on vinyl, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing? I listen to most of my music in my truck, and have a pretty nice setup in there so my music sounds pretty good actually. I rarely listen to music at home consciously, and actually pay attention, as sad as that sounds.

• Members

It's interesting though that for music, most consumers are ok with listening to it through tinny earphones or computer speakers or what-not...yet when it comes to home-theater they go all out with the 5.1 or now 7.1 digital dolby SRS THX.

Sure, you can play your CD's through it and even get 5.1 surround audio....but who wants to just listen when you have that big 52" plasma you paid an arm and a leg for!

But seriously, back in my day we would buy and album, then go home and listen to it all the way through while reading the liner notes. That's all we really had besides just 4 channels on the TV. Now it's more just background noise and I'll admit that's how I listen to stuff now....while surfing the net or doing something else around the house. It's been a long time since I just sat down and listened to something.

• Members

It's interesting though that for music, most consumers are ok with listening to it through tinny earphones or computer speakers or what-not...yet when it comes to home-theater they go all out with the 5.1 or now 7.1 digital dolby SRS THX.

Sure, you can play your CD's through it and even get 5.1 surround audio....but who wants to just listen when you have that big 52" plasma you paid an arm and a leg for!

But seriously, back in my day we would buy and album, then go home and listen to it all the way through while reading the liner notes. That's all we really had besides just 4 channels on the TV. Now it's more just background noise and I'll admit that's how I listen to stuff now....while surfing the net or doing something else around the house. It's been a long time since I just sat down and
listened
to something.

True. I spend LOTS of time in my truck which is why I invest so much in car stereo. I have a decent set of speakers for my PC, but could probably do a lot better w/ an upgraded soundcard and some powered studio monitors or something.

• Moderators

If anyone has ever done any mastering, the final mix is not only tested on the studio monitors, but in a car, on a small radio and in some headphones. Music shouldn't be tailored just for cheap earbuds. Since the idea is that people give up quality, why would you tailor a mix to that lack of quality? A quality mix that sounds good over the monitors, car speakers and headphones is going to be the better mix always. I sure don't want to hear a song mixed special for earbuds on XM as I'm cruising down the road in my vehicle.

• Members

It's a shame really, and I'm kind of insulted... You expect us to pay $12-$20 a CD (more than they've ever been), yet put out {censored}tier quality than before? That makes sense.

When I download mp3's or rip my CD's, I always use LAME VBR 0, which is the highest quality of mp3 compression. For anything instrumental/orchestral only, I'll use lossless... I have over a terabyte of space for a reason, it pisses me off knowing that I'm quality-whoring for nothing.

I didn't buy $350 computer speakers and a $180 sound card for nothing... Ugh. Maybe mp3-player manufacturers should add some hardware filtering into their products with user options, then all this would go away.

• Members

It's devolution or evolution. Before AOR, popular music was mixed to sound good through a car's dash-mounted AM radio. Phil Spector's "Wall of Sound", anyone?

Exactly.

High-fidelity was never TRULY a mass-market phenomenon.

Most were happy with cassette and 8-track in the days of Hi-fi, and the digital realm has done more to increase access than we can even imagine.

Hi-fi is still out there for those who desire it...

• Members

Most were happy with cassette and 8-track in the days of Hi-fi

You couldn't exactly take your record player + tube amp + column speakers on the road with you. :freak:

Something had to be portable.

And 8-track really wasn't that bad. It actually had a lot of potential. But the point to them was portability. And no matter how good the medium was, no automotive audio system could give the 8-track justice.

• Members

If anyone has ever done any mastering, the final mix is not only tested on the studio monitors, but in a car, on a small radio and in some headphones. Music shouldn't be tailored just for cheap earbuds. Since the idea is that people give up quality, why would you tailor a mix to that lack of quality? A quality mix that sounds good over the monitors, car speakers and headphones is going to be the better mix always. I sure don't want to hear a song mixed special for earbuds on XM as I'm cruising down the road in my vehicle.

This is so true. I was mastering our EP and I had to go and listen on all the "outlets" I had available before I was "happy" with it.

• Members

But seriously, back in my day we would buy and album, then go home
and take a bunch of bong hits
and listen to it all the way through while reading the liner notes. That's all we really had besides just 4 channels on the TV. Now it's more just background noise and I'll admit that's how I listen to stuff now....while surfing the net or doing something else around the house. It's been a long time since I just sat down and
listened
to something.

There, fixed it for ya. :wave:

• Moderators

This is so true. I was mastering our EP and I had to go and listen on all the "outlets" I had available before I was "happy" with it.

I did that, too. Then, after the CD was finished, I took it to a local music store to get a few on the shelf. He played it through a cheap-assed PA system with way too much treble, and, guess what? It didn't sound all that good.

But waddaya gonna do?

• Members

I've actually bought as much vinyl as I have CD's in the past year, and I'm 19. :eek:

The production techniques used on modern pop/metal/punk/etc. are one of the reasons that I don't listen to much of it-as the author of that RS article said, it makes music more of an aural assault than a listening experience. I enjoy listening to jazz because those production techniques aren't employed to produce it, and so it's more pleasant to listen to (and more fulfilling to me from a musical standpoint, but that's outside the scope of this discussion.)

As Thud said, a good mix will have been tested on all sorts of monitoring sources before being released-not every home listener will have a set of Genelecs as their stereo speakers. :D

I don't think that most pop music has ever been the model of fidelity (although there are exceptions), and so I'm not too worried-however, it would be nice if the whole brick-wall limiting thing went away, as the sound it produces is not a musical one. As a future producer/engineer, I'll be doing my best to combat it. :cool:

• Moderators
I did that, too. Then, after the CD was finished, I took it to a local music store to get a few on the shelf. He played it through a cheap-assed PA system with way too much treble, and, guess what? It didn't sound all that good.

But waddaya gonna do?

Just because you have a good mix doesn't mean that someone isn't going to put it through a crap system. A crappy system or operator can make Yes 90125 sound like garbage.

Archived