New Bass Day.

Death Hands

• Members

cool. the only reason i didnt buy a Peavey BXP 5 stringer earlier this year was because it had a pretty muddy B string... awesome bass though...

I went in hoping that they'd have the BXP I saw in the shop a couple of weeks ago, but they didn't, and I probably got a better deal on this than I would have with the tigereye whatever on the BXP. As for muddy, it really has a lot to do with the setup you're playing through and the way you eq that setup, I think. I've heard you say that you boost lows a lot, so you're gonna get some mud, especially with a low B. :)

I really think that this was a steal for the money.

• Members

I went in hoping that they'd have the BXP I saw in the shop a couple of weeks ago, but they didn't, and I probably got a better deal on this than I would have with the tigereye whatever on the BXP. As for muddy, it really has a lot to do with the setup you're playing through and the way you eq that setup, I think. I've heard you say that you boost lows a lot, so you're gonna get some mud, especially with a low B.
:)

I really think that this was a steal for the money.

that bas does not have a muddy B... it really sounds good!

it wasnt for the setup... it's just muddy, i dont know why... i played a couple of others (5 strings) that day in the store and they all sounded as they should.... the 4 string version of that bass must rock though.... but i'm more into 5 stringers so when i go again for a 5'er it has to have a really tight B-string... i kinda have my eye on the Schecters, but i'm not sure its what i want, although they totally kill....

• Members

that bas does not have a muddy B... it really sounds good!

it wasnt for the setup... it's just muddy, i dont know why... i played a couple of others (5 strings) that day in the store and they all sounded as they should.... the 4 string version of that bass must rock though.... but i'm more into 5 stringers so when i go again for a 5'er it has to have a really tight B-string... i kinda have my eye on the Schecters, but i'm not sure its what i want, although they totally kill....

Mine or the BXPs? I've never played a BXP fiver. Maybe the one you sampled had crap strings or something?

Yeah, Schecters are nice. I don't know about saying that they've got really tight low Bs, though. The ones I've played have been slinky in a good way. Comfortably lax would be a way to describe them. This is my first fiver, specifically because of the price and overall quality. It was cheap, and it's built like a tank, which is always a plus.

• Members

Mine or the BXPs? I've never played a BXP fiver. Maybe the one you sampled had crap strings or something?

Yeah, Schecters are nice. I don't know about saying that they've got really tight low Bs, though. The ones I've played have been slinky in a good way. Comfortably lax would be a way to describe them. This is my first fiver, specifically because of the price and overall quality. It was cheap, and it's built like a tank, which is always a plus.

no, i mean, your B string sounds like it should, its a great sounding bass... i was talking about the B string on the BXP's (and it wasnt because it had dead strings)...

... the Schecters generally had some of the tightest B strings ive ever played...

... i already have a 5'er... my next buy is probably gonna be a 10-string Dean Edge... those are simply amazing...

• Members

no, i mean, your B string sounds like it should, its a great sounding bass... i was talking about the B string on the BXP's (and it wasnt because it had dead strings)...

... the Schecters generally had some of the tightest B strings ive ever played...

... i already have a 5'er... my next buy is probably gonna be a 10-string Dean Edge... those are simply amazing...

Ah, yeah. It is a meannnn bass. The Peavey combo I played it through didn't do it any justice. It really has a lot of grunt to it. :)

Yeah, as I said, I have zero experience with the BXP fivers.

Hey, man, if that's your thing, you go for it. I really dug all of the ones I played. :)

I'd like to mess with several Dean models, but I can't find any locally for review. That'd be awesome, though. :thu:

• Members

Ah, yeah. It is a meannnn bass. The Peavey combo I played it through didn't do it any justice. It really has a lot of grunt to it.

Yeah, as I said, I have zero experience with the BXP fivers.

Hey, man, if that's your thing, you go for it. I really dug all of the ones I played.

I'd like to mess with several Dean models, but I can't find any locally for review. That'd be awesome, though.
:thu:

Dean is one of those brands you can trust... one of the few brands you can trust, actually, these days... their quality is almost consistently very good...

... i have a friend who is absolutely sold on Dean guitars...

but those BXP fivers are excellent... if i played in a jazz or blues band or something, i'd have no problems at all buying it... i just need a very tight and focused B string on my next 5'er... mine is a good B string, but it is still floppier then i'd like it to be... it sounds excellent when i put new strings in it, but i cant afford to change strings often so...

• Members

Dean is one of those brands you can trust... one of the few brands you can trust, actually, these days... their quality is almost consistently very good...

... i have a friend who is absolutely sold on Dean guitars...

but those BXP fivers are excellent... if i played in a jazz or blues band or something, i'd have no problems at all buying it... i just need a very tight and focused B string on my next 5'er... mine is a good B string, but it is still floppier then i'd like it to be... it sounds excellent when i put new strings in it, but i cant afford to change strings often so...

Yeah, Dean stuff is nice, it's just not a local staple around here. :)

I don't doubt their quality, at all, but the BXP line is REALLY beginner grade, if you ask me, so maybe it's not made for you in your seemingly advanced state of musicality. :p I have to change strings fairly often myself. I normally try to invest in a good, longlasting set. :)

• Members

Yeah, Dean stuff is nice, it's just not a local staple around here.

I don't doubt their quality, at all, but the BXP line is REALLY beginner grade, if you ask me, so maybe it's not made for you in your seemingly advanced state of musicality.
:p
I have to change strings fairly often myself. I normally try to invest in a good, longlasting set.

i'm kind of a gear nut but im not an advanced musician by any means :lol:

yeah... the BXP is on the begginer level, but i gotta admit a good part of what caught my heart on them was the look... the i played was just really really beautiful... the finish, everything... except for the knobs....

yeah, about the string thing, i'm probably get some Elixirs now... i'm not a fan of their tone (my favs are DR Hi-Beams 45-125) but they definitly do last longer...

• Members

Nice score Death Hands!

I am curious... Is that a passive bass?

It sounds a lot like my Cirrus BXP 4. It has an 18v pre onboard though.

I don't necessarily think BXP is Peavey's beginner series.

You definitely wouldn't say that if you laid hands on my Cirrus BXP.

Matter of fact, I only has GAS for one more bass (currently :lol:)

This one: (Peavey Zodiac BXP)

Zodiac4BXPSB-large.jpg

• Members

Thank you. :)

It's passive, yes. I've been trying to find out the electronics setup on it, without luck.

The BXPs I'm referencing are the Millennium series. :) Different beasts, different beasts.

I've never really had GAS for anything Peavey. The two basses I own, this one included of course, are grand, but I've never really GASed for a Peavey bass. The Zodiacs look GREAT for the price. :) If they've got anything on this beast, they're worth every penny. :thu:

• Members

Yeah, I really liked Elixirs myself. It was a nice change, considering the fact that I was killing sets of strings left and right previously. I love the tone they gave my jazz. Good luck with them.

dude, i know exactly what you mean... im kind of afraid to try them on my bass 'cose their really really expensive, especially the 5 string sets... and they sound really really different on different basses...

but the other day i played a 24 jazz bass with Elixir strings, and it sounded Godly!

one of these basses (awesome basses by the way, but their neck is too slim for my hands):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-QuiltTop-Jazz-Bass-24?sku=515038

but since i find their tone to be quite dark, and my bass has already a very very dark tone, which is kind of the opposite of what i'm aiming for) i'm sortta reluctant...

• Members

dude, i know exactly what you mean... im kind of afraid to try them on my bass 'cose their really really expensive, especially the 5 string sets... and they sound really really different on different basses...

but the other day i played a 24 jazz bass with Elixir strings, and it sounded Godly!

one of these basses (awesome basses by the way, but their neck is too slim for my hands):

but since i find their tone to be quite dark, and my bass has already a very very dark tone, which is kind of the opposite of what i'm aiming for) i'm sortta reluctant...

Well, wear them on your bass, and if they don't work for you, resell them to someone you know, or keep them as a backup set. I let mine rest for about three months and tossed them back on my Jazz after that hiatus and was still impressed with the tone. :)

The Jazz 24 I played was iffy. It felt flimsy to me. It sounded pretty level to my ear, though. I play with my eqs flat, for the most part.

Elixirs have a solid punch and a fairly bright tone. As for basses, it sounds like you'd be better off with something like a Schecter, or maybe a Jazz with a maple fretboard(maybe a P bass neck, since you like them bigger). :)

• Members

As for basses, it sounds like you'd be better off with something like a Schecter, or maybe a Jazz with a maple fretboard(maybe a P bass neck, since you like them bigger).

i'm really pampered by my 5 stringers' neck... i love it... one of the coolest necks i've played with... really comfortable and slim for a 5'er...

if it's a 5 stringer, i prefer the Jazz neck, if it's a 4 stringer, i prefer a P type neck :wave:

• Members

i'm really pampered by my 5 stringers' neck... i love it... one of the coolest necks i've played with... really comfortable and slim for a 5'er...

if it's a 5 stringer, i prefer the Jazz neck, if it's a 4 stringer, i prefer a P type neck
:wave:

So, you like a closer spaced, thinner neck on your fivers, and a chunkier, more spread out neck on your fours?

A little different, but whatever floats your boat. If the five you've got is so great, I'd work on getting another and then doing little mods to make it different in the way that you need. :)

• Members

So, you like a closer spaced, thinner neck on your fivers, and a chunkier, more spread out neck on your fours?

A little different, but whatever floats your boat. If the five you've got is so great, I'd work on getting another and then doing little mods to make it different in the way that you need.

about the neck, yes, because i like the feel of the fivers' neck and that kinda neck on the 4 gives me that fivers' feel...

about the bass, i'm going to as soon as i can... but i really gotta find something different...

it's a discontinued version though... really really hard to find... (BB605)...

i think i'll make the modifications on this same bass.... maybe some SD pickups... and maybe i'll change the frequency to around 500K for that brighter treblier sound i need...

• Members

about the neck, yes, because i like the feel of the fivers' neck and that kinda neck on the 4 gives me that fivers' feel...

about the bass, i'm going to as soon as i can... but i really gotta find something different...

it's a discontinued version though... really really hard to find... (BB605)...

i think i'll make the modifications on this same bass.... maybe some SD pickups... and maybe i'll change the frequency to around 500K for that brighter treblier sound i need...

Well, if you need something different, don't mod what you're going from. :p I have no idea what sort of bass that is, though. Just play around in your budget and find something that speaks to you. Worry about comfort a bit later.

• Members

I found a nice, white/maple Foundation 4 string at GC this past Labor Day weekend, priced at $199, but got a deal from my favorite salesguy there and took it plus their $40 RoadRunner gig bag for $190+tax. It is in excellent shape. I feel like I got a great steal because . . .

It is such a sweet, solid bass. Not a terribly scuplted body, but really feels very good overall, and not too heavy considering the relative bulk of the body. Very nice, playable neck; 1.5" nut width I believe. Sounds full and great in the mix; responsive EQ. Stays in tune Damn Well. Mine has the Super Ferrite pickups. Has only a stamped bridge, but looks sturdier than a fender bridge. I've read that poplar was used for bodies on these.

I have been told mine is an eighties model, but I haven't inquired about the serial number myself. Has different headstock markings and serial number layout/location from the one in the OP, and headstock curves are a bit more rounded. Has patent number and Crafted in U.S.A. on back of headstock, followed by SN. Photos someday maybe.

Again, this instrument was a very pleasant surprise. I like peavey basses I've tried, and have an active Millenium BXP which is generally a finer instrument than this (I just never clicked with it, though), but this Foundation just feels so dang good. It's been my main practice and performing bass since I got it; I haven't played it exclusively, but it's sorta been my go-to bass for a while; it's been that much fun to play!

One of my best deals ever in a bass, I think. Although I did get a $99 Fullerton active Ventura, and the $29 regular Ventura also this year. Those were some great deals too!

• Members

Yeah Poltergeist, what bass(es) do you actually play now?
:confused:

now i play a Yamaha BB605...

... i used to have two more borrowed (a Carvin 5 stringer and an Aria 4 stringer), but not anymore...

... this next year will be my bass aquisition year if everything goes the way it should :cool:

• Members

I found a nice, white/maple Foundation 4 string at GC this past Labor Day weekend, priced at $199, but got a deal from my favorite salesguy there and took it plus their $40 RoadRunner gig bag for $190+tax. It is in excellent shape. I feel like I got a great steal because . . .

It is
such
a sweet, solid bass. Not a terribly scuplted body, but really feels very good overall, and not too heavy considering the relative bulk of the body. Very nice, playable neck; 1.5" nut width I believe. Sounds full and great in the mix; responsive EQ. Stays in tune Damn Well. Mine has the Super Ferrite pickups. Has only a stamped bridge, but looks sturdier than a fender bridge. I've read that poplar was used for bodies on these.

I have been told mine is an eighties model, but I haven't inquired about the serial number myself. Has different headstock markings and serial number layout/location from the one in the OP, and headstock curves are a bit more rounded. Has patent number and Crafted in U.S.A. on back of headstock, followed by SN. Photos someday maybe.

Again, this instrument was a very pleasant surprise. I like peavey basses I've tried, and have an active Millenium BXP which is generally a finer instrument than this (I just never clicked with it, though), but this Foundation just feels so dang good. It's been my main practice and performing bass since I got it; I haven't played it exclusively, but it's sorta been my go-to bass for a while; it's been that much fun to play!

One of my best deals ever in a bass, I think. Although I did get a $99 Fullerton active Ventura, and the $29 regular Ventura also this year. Those were some great deals too!

How would I find out about the pickups, or inquire about the serial? I don't see any info on the Peavey website at all...

Yeah, the feel of my fiver is AWESOME. I'm really impressed with it, especially since I tried so many about a month ago to no avail. It may become my main bass, over six others. :p

The tone of this thing is to die for, especially through my rig. It's awesome, and I've been able to coax many many many awesome and useable tones from it. :)

Archived