Lookey What I Got!

Scary Bill

• Members

I want a geddy...

I played a GL side by side with a VM jazz at GC. The GL is worth every penny! It played very nice. I had a deeper sound with more "sparkle", too.

The only major issue I have with the VM Jazz is the strings. They have some strange warble to them. I put an old nickle round on it, and the problem cleared. No big deal, though. I can expect things like this for $279.

• Moderators

ooh! The aluminum does look nice. I thought they might look gawdy but you're right, Kindness...it would look nice!

It better, it took me a looooooooooooong time to make. :mad:

I love it . One of my favorite creations. I haven't seen that bass in a while though... :cry:

Scary Bill - Your bass playing dude should hook up with my drumming dude:

IMG_6815.jpg

• Members

He looks like he knows what he's doing. Probably better than I am on drums. If I ever need a metal P/G I will look you up first.:wave:

I like seeing kids involved with music, for Christmas I got my son Ukulele. He really enjoys playing it. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to finally pick up bass!:cry:

• Members

Those VMJ's are a killer value - a fairly nice quality instrument for a great price... I would highly recommend a set of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups, CTS pots, and a series/parallel switch for that - the difference is night and day... Although I almost never use the switch, and play mine in series nearly all of the time - so to save some $$$ and work, you *could* wire it straight up series... I also changed out my PG for a red tort one, and applied a clear laquer finish on my fretboard(ala Geddy Lee Jazzes) - and am real happy with the outcome... In the end, I've got less than $250(I bought mine used, but practically new) into a great looking, sounding, and playing bass that totally kicks ass in a band setting - I'm sure you'll love yours...

- georgestrings

• Members

That's really nice, but the blue bass needs an aluminum pickguard:

IMG_9252.jpg

That PG is the coolest!!! One of those would look outstanding on my P Bass Special(gloss black, with a J pup at the bridge position) - and talk about sheilding effect!!! Although I don't usually bother with aftermarket bridges, that choice looks real good on that bass - I thought you did a fine job on it the 1st time I saw it...

- georgestrings

• Members

BTW, the weak link on those VMJs is the pots and the jack - for less than $10 you *could* change out the volume pot, wire the pups in series, and bypass the tone pot - going straight to the new jack - and see an immense improvement in tone and output...

- georgestrings

I can see what you mean about the pots. One of mine is stiff (hard to turn:cop:) They also are a little jumpy. I will probably replace the pots later, but I don't see the jack being an issue. My blue P is a Squier Affinity, the cheapie jack in it has never gave me any trouble(the pots were replaced, though) and as long as it isn't noisy I can't see how it can affect tone. A clean connection is a clean connection. The series/parallel switch is a maybe.

So far I even like the PUs, too. If I did change PUs it would be to replace the MECs in the Warwick, as I don't like them for a fretless.

Archived