What is your dream bass?

cl0r0x70

• Members

I'm putting this message out there to the board. What if you had up to $10,000 to spend, and you could only spend it on one bass? If you didn't buy a bass with it, it would go away. . . what bass would you buy?

I'm not just asking out of hand; I face a similar question in my real life. That's all the details I'm going to give.

Now, before all of you respond with "What are you looking for?" and "Depends on what sound you like". . . that's not what I'm asking. I've owned a variety of basses over the years, and have achieved what I think of as "my sound." I've acquired and traded tons of gear in sacrifice to the tone gods. I've been playing 20 years, so I'm aware that a lot of tone lies in the fingers.

I'm looking to stretch outside my own box. I'm looking to be inspired by you, the bass community. I'm not going to restrict you with what I like; what do YOU like?

What is your dream bass? I don't care if it's a mundane $600 budget bass that you think gets that perfect lo-fi sound or a $10,000 Carl Thompson that you adored because you finally got that Stanley Clark tone you've been looking for. If you've played it, and it's your ultimate bass, then please respond. Also, tell me what you thought made this bass so special.

I'm partial to 5 string basses, but don't let that limit your replies (although it may limit what I seek out for myself.)

Thanks in advance for your answers.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only boutique bass I ever played that I thought was actually worth the money was a 5 string fretless Ritter I played at NAMM a few years ago. I would have coughed up the 6 Gs for it if I had that kind of dough. The fingerboard was flawless, and it sounded like a million bucks.

I'd also consider a Knuckle....

• Members

The only boutique bass I ever played that I thought was actually worth the money was a 5 string fretless Ritter I played at NAMM a few years ago. I would have coughed up the 6 Gs for it if I had that kind of dough. The fingerboard was flawless, and it sounded like a million bucks.

I'd also consider a Knuckle....

+1 on the Ritter

I'd love to have one of them and hopefully will in the future. :)

• Members

I have no dream bass. I like to keep adding to my tonal palette, so having a be-all-end-all would be disgusting to me. :p

My standard starts with a standard.

My Standard MIM Fender Jazz. It's the only bass I wouldn't sell off or do away with.

My Peavey Foundation 5 is quickly becoming a bass of that nature, as well. :)

Something that I lust over, though? A Rickenbacker. I really want to at least try one. I really want an upright, as well. :)

EDIT:

What makes my Jazz special? Its tone. The fact that it weighs like 15lbs. The fact that it was my first "good" bass, even though it's still thought of as a POS due to its build origin. I get a feel and tone from this bass that I use as my personal standard for everything else. :) It impacted me in a big way.

• Moderators

I'm surprised there is so much Ritter love, but it is top on my list of basses I'd like to play, with Skip's Knuckle basses a close second. Of the basses I've played, I'd strongly consider a Jerzy Drozd. My personal GAS at the moment is a Rob Allen Mouse.

• Members

just dreaming...

a 5 strings Torzal Twist Bass (

), with fanned frets, with a zero fret, build with the asistence of Pete Hanewinckel

i like the MM+J config so i could go with Nordstrand MM5.3 (phantom coil) with a 5J humbunker, with a few switch just for fun.

i dont know wish woods and preamp, but pete is there...

the idea is a nice (woody) looking bass. super confortable to play, with enough option and sounds to keep me happy

Archived