Ashdown combo 15" or 12", or different amp?

Optimus Prime

• Members

I'm still not totally satisfied with my new amp. It was mostly OD/distortion that had the problem, but I got the effects to sound better on my new Ashdown combo. I got it to sound a LOT better but I'm still not satisfied enough that I could see myself keeping the amp for the next few years. I just found out that Ashdown does make the same amp with a 12" speaker. Would that help with the muffled/overly bassy problem I'm having with my effects? Because my cheap old Rogue with a 10" speaker sounds tons better. So would a 12" have a better overdriven/distortion-ized(?) tone? Does the 12" version of the Ashdown Electric Blue combo have the LED or the actual VU meter? Becasue the actual meter that I have on mine looks way more badass. Anyway if it sounds the same it's not worth it and I need to find an amp that has some configuration of 10" speakers and that will sound great with OD/distortion in the range of $300-$400. Any ideas? Thanks for any help and Happy New Year.

EDIT:I don't just want to settle with an OK overdriven sound on a $350 amp for the next 3-5 years. I want something that I'm impressed with everytime I kick on the Bass-Drive. If I have to add another $100 to get different amp (another brand?) I will.

EDIT: It would got me $75 to ship it back to MF. And I have about $200 I can POSSIBLY add to the $350 minus the $75. So I guess I can POSSIBLY spend $465 on a new amp. Today I got a letter from MF saying I can get 20% off my next purchase and free shipping. That would bring the Ashdown MAG C210T-300 combo from $550 to $440. But I'm not comfortable buying the same brand because the old one doesn't do what I want it to. And the $200 I have, I was going to spend on a new fuzz pedal. It's $150, I emailed the guy telling him to put me on the waiting list. A working amp is more important than fuzz, but if I blow this guy off then he won't take me seriously when I actually have the money to buy the pedal. A job would make this all go away, but everywhere has signs saying they're not hiring. I don't know what to do. {censored}, I'm screwed.

• Members

Well tbh autobot scum, you arn't going to get a much better than OK sound out of a $450 combo unless you pick something up second hand at a very good price.

I tried a GK neo rig compriseing of a single 12 and a second cab with two 12s, that had alot more mids than my gs112.

You should be able to get a mag 2x10 and a mag 300 amp, for about what your looking to spend I would say.

Is that $350 inc selling your EB?

• Members

ohhhhh I have the 12" version, not the 15. Yeah it has the proper VU meter and I dont have any woofy problems with OD. I didnt realise before yours was the one with the larger speaker. The MAGs arent really comparable either at least not a 2x10 combo with your 1x15.

• Members

Sounds to me that should should buy the fuzz pedal, cut some bass and add some mids on the eq and get a job, autobot scum.

:thu:

Bass is cut, low mids are cut, mids are boosted, high mids are boosted and treble is boosted. Still sounds pretty damn bad.

I've been applying everywhere for the almost 2 years. If I could actually talk to a manager instead of typing a bunch of stuff into a computer I know I could get a job.

• Members

Well, go into the store, shop, factory...etc :blah:

And speak to someone, tell them you really want a job because you want to drive and buy bass gear, tell them you won't be late and will work hard because of these desires.

Do what you say!

Stick it out even if it sucks!

Think of what you can buy, give it a month or two and you can buy yourself Ashdown ABM gear :)

If I were you I would go out tomorrow, print out a bunch of CVs and see what you can find :thu:

You can do it :thu:

• Members

Well, go into the store, shop, factory...etc
:blah:

And speak to someone, tell them you really want a job because you want to drive and buy bass gear, tell them you won't be late and will work hard because of these desires.

Do what you say!

Stick it out even if it sucks!

Think of what you can buy, give it a month or two and you can buy yourself Ashdown ABM gear
:)

If I were you I would go out tomorrow, print out a bunch of CVs and see what you can find

You can do it

I worked for my dad's friend over the summer he has like 35 acres and 2 full-time groundskeepers. I was always on time (7 AM) and didn't miss a day (4 days a week for 3 months straight). I had to stop because of school but everyone there told my boss that I did a great job. With the money I made in 3 months I bought an American J-bass, a Warmoth body, like $500 worth of effects, tickets to a RATM concert, 2 plane tickets and a hotel in NY for like 5 days. He said anytime I had a break from school that I could come back. I was expecting that over winter break and it didn't happen becasue there's no mowing and {censored} that needs done in the middle of winter.

Everywhere I go I ask if they're hiring. And everyone I talk to says they only got the job becasue they know someone or it's a family business. So I ask my parents if they know anyone whocan get me a job. Of course they don't. It's not like I look like a scumbag. I saw a guy working at Burger King with green and pink hair. What the {censored}? I can walk into stores with a collared shirt, nice jeans, washed and brushed normal colored hair and ask for a job and they give it to the multicolored emo mother{censored}er. This city is bull{censored}.

• Members

Ashdown MAG C210T-300 for $440 or Gallien-Krueger Backline 210 combo for $375? And out of this whole thing I'm losing $75 extra becasue I have to ship the old amp back to MF. There's a small music store around here that sells Ashdown and I think they have the 210 combo, so I'm going to go try that out tomorrow. And GC sells GK but I know they don't sell combos. What model should I try that is the closest sounding to the combo?

• Members

Get a nice tie, suit trousers, plain white shirt (make sure they are both ironed and you are well presented), nice smart leather shoes (make sure you polish them, get a hair cut and wear a little aftershave and/or antiperspirant and don't mention that the last place you worked was with a friend of your dads! Don't wear jewelry, but a watch helps because often it displays that you are aware of the importance of time.

Don't give them ANY information they don't ask for, unless you have previous criminal convictions or anything important like that :p

Sugar coat the information they ask for, if they ask about your education for instance and some of your grades suck hard, then just say you tried really hard for them and you improved allot to get them... you aren't applying for a managerial or intellectual position, your just there to get a simple job done... well!

You have to convince them that you are going to earn the money they are paying you and then some, you have to convince the manager that you are going to make him look good :thu:

Ashdown MAG C210T-300 for $440 or Gallien-Krueger Backline 210 combo for $375? And out of this whole thing I'm losing $75 extra becasue I have to ship the old amp back to MF. There's a small music store around here that sells Ashdown and I think they have the 210 combo, so I'm going to go try that out tomorrow. And GC sells GK but I know they don't sell combos. What model should I try that is the closest sounding to the combo?

I wouldn't bother with the Backline stuff, personally.

• Members

I like the MAG combos, I have used the 4x10 and 2x10. I dont know if I can say to send the 1x15 back and try the 1x12 all I know is I have never experienced this issue and I use huge amounts of drive sometimes

I'm taking my Bass-Drive tomorrow to see if they get along. Isn't the purpose of bigger speakers to get more lows? I want the exact opposite. Still pissed about shipping it back though.

• Members

I'm taking my Bass-Drive tomorrow to see if they get along. Isn't the purpose of bigger speakers to get more lows? I want the exact opposite. Still pissed about shipping it back though.

yeah bigger speakers will give you better lows at the expense of top end. I still dont think it is right what you are having happen though.

• Members

When I go looking for a job it's not in a tight Volcom t-shirt and loose torn jeans. I wear a nice button-up shirt (Kirra but it's nice) and good jeans. It's not like I'm applying to a real job. More like bagging or taking orders. No peircings or jewelery. No criminal record (never gotten caught). And A's and B's in all my classes, all the real classes are honors, band, auto and construction don't count.

With that attitude, i'm not surprised you haven't gotten a job, at all.

• Members

With that attitude, i'm not surprised you haven't gotten a job, at all.

Hey, that's not sarcasm is it? But no, I'm just pissed that I can't figure my own problems out, and that I don't have the money to fix it anyway. I'm going to start importing heroin from Tijuana and distributing it children under the age of 10.

• Members

Hey, that's not sarcasm is it? But no, I'm just pissed that I can't figure my own problems out, and that I don't have the money to fix it anyway. I'm going to start importing heroin from Tijuana and distributing it children under the age of 10.

No that isn't sarcasm, you need to do what I said.

I've only failed one job interview and that was when I was 16, i've gotten every job i've gone for.

I can see your problem as plain as day, you think your to good for the job:

"It's not like I'm applying to a real job."

Very immature.

• Members

No that isn't sarcasm, you need to do what I said.

I've only failed one job interview and that was when I was 16, i've gotten every job i've gone for.

I can see your problem as plain as day, you think your to good for the job:

"It's not like I'm applying to a real job."

Very immature.

I've never even gotten an interview. I'm not to good for the job, I have no experience and no measurable people skills. But I'm done talking about it. It's not helping with my low self esteem. :cry::lol:

• Members

yeah bigger speakers will give you better lows at the expense of top end. I still dont think it is right what you are having happen though.

Sounds like a pedal issue to me. :idk:

I've got the 15" Ash and it covers the whole frequency spectrum just fine.

• Members

I have Ashdown Electric Blue 15-180 and it really rocks!

Its the best i have ever heard for this money!

Yeah, I like my EB 15-180 too, which I use with an Ashdown Mag 210T cabinet. I don't know if an extension cab would improve on your tone, although you certainly will be able to get more volume and get the full amp wattage.

It's pretty tough to ascertain how any amp or bass is going to sound from posts on this forum. Your best bet is to take your bass (and effects if you use them) and go try them out with the actual amp(s) you are considering. That may limit your choices, but it probably beats having to pay the extra $75 to ship amps back that don't meet your needs.

Just my $0.02,

John

Archived