i just bought a t-40

michaelcpoulin

• Members

and couldnt be happier with it!

i know there are some haters on the board and people think they are not worth a damn thing, but i whole heartedly disagree. ive owned my share of high end bass gear and nothing plays like this. my gibson grabber, my geddy lee Jazz, and the rick are all second best to this new guy. the sound is something else, too. the fender definitely take the cake when it comes to versatility but the t-40 is a beast. dirty dirty sound which is exactly what i want.

its in perfect condition electronically and damn near perfect condition cosmetically.

i paid $250 for it with the OHSC.

Here is a link to some pics that the previous owner took:

http://mixpix.smugmug.com/gallery/4018908#233888368

let me know what you think. whether you hate em or love em.

• Members

damn I thought my white t-40 at $250 was a good deal, but the electronics are scratchy and not in nearly as great condition as that... And that's the color I wanted :love:

Glad you're diggin it :thu:

I like the feel of mine and what I've heard thus far is good, but I think 2 of the knobs and one of the switches don't work, and they scratch when the nobs turn. But I guess if I like it in lieu of all that, it can't be too bad of a bass :D

• Members

Far from a T-40 hater here. I don't really have GAS for basses because my T-40s cover all of the ground that I need.

That is definitely a beauty. Looks to be in the same stellar condition that my sunburst fretless is, just with a fretted maple neck.

Oh, and be sure to join the T-40 forum.

http://peaveyt40.forumotion.com/index.htm

• Members

I'm keeping my eyes open for mine still. Natural with maple board and bladed pups. In the New Year some time.
:)

They are all bladed pickups. The first couple of years the blads were not exposed like on this one. I had a '77 9new) and it didn't have exposed blades on it. I had an '80 I believe and the pickups had exposed blades.

Same pickups though. Really makes no difference tone-wise.

• Members

thanks for all the kind words on the bass.

im new to this whole t-40 thing, so i could be wrong but i think the bladed pick ups that are in the later models have a hotter sound. a little bit more edge to them. the other pick ups are supposed to be warmer and came in the earlier ones. i dont know if peavey intentionally made a difference in the sound between the two, but probably not. i think its mostly people who have played a bunch of both styles and hear a slight difference.

doesnt really matter to me. they both sound rad and probably so close in sound that 99% of us couldnt hear a difference.

• Members

They are all bladed pickups. The first couple of years the blads were not exposed like on this one. I had a '77 9new) and it didn't have exposed blades on it. I had an '80 I believe and the pickups had exposed blades.

I meant exposed blades, thanks for clarifying. I've heard mixed reviews as to whether it matters to tone or not. I don't care, they just look cooler. :cool:

• Members

If you're referring to the one that I have as exposed blades, the blades are most definitely covered, and it is that bass why I just bought a set of the earlier pickups to replace the exposed blade pickups in the fretless. :)IMHO, the covered blades sound better. They aren't quite as hot, but I really love the sound better.

Archived