End-Of-The-Year Gear Wrapup

Thunderbroom

• Members

I did a search for a thread like this but didn't find it though my guess is it's been done already. This is the thread where you list all the gear you purchased this year, AND if you're up for it post your thoughts on each item.

Furthermore, if you've got planned purchases for 2008, you can add those as well.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lakland DJ5 - Audiophile sound quality, light, so well made, string spacing spot on.

Perhaps a bit to much of a bass for me, so i've decided to keep my JM4 over it if I can help it.

GK700RB-II: I was skeptical of it, because I know how hype can distort reality... but I can't see why anyone would need more power, tone shaping or quality than this sucker can provide in up to a medium gig type enviroment in most genres. The second hand market for GK is as bad as Rickenbacker, so expect to pay nearer retail than most other amps... and there is a reason for that... they are worth it.

GS112: I wasn't happy with the bedroom/practice tone, but my god in a band environment these cabs perform, they really do sound that good :thu: that said they are a pain because they don't stack well with any other cab except the GS112, DB112...etc of the same proportions. The horn on it sounds fantastic, but it isn't very sensitive or perhaps it's because the cab is tuned for so much in terms of lows that it can't cut through very well.

Sandberg JM4: Everything I want in a bass, it's perfect for me.

Planetwaves PW-CT-04 (strobe/chromatic tuner pedal): Very solid well made pedal, sensitive and useful, well priced. I don't have any other experience of strobe tuners but this is enough to convince me that they are worth the extra cash. I don't think this is as easy as a rack mount tuner to use while on stage however, I had to go down on one knee to tune up... but I think was because it was a bar gig so all the lights were on makeing the LCD display harder to see :p

SR4: En route

Guttermouth pedals: En route

Planned purchases for 08:

Ashdown ABM C210T

Ashdown ABM 410T

P Bass

A couple of J Basses

Rickenbaker 4003/1

• Members

This was a banner year for me seeing that I am not a real gear junky. My first purchase was a used SWR Henry 8x8. Then to drive it I bought the

GK 700RB-II.

Over all the rig performs like a gem :thu:. Great low end, clarity, punch and depth of feel. The 8x8 sounds great no matter what I have used to drive it (even an old Peavey). The GK is great as well. Plenty of volume, tone shaping options, light weight, and inexpensive.

Other than small stuff like a rack mountable tuner I won't be buying anything this year.

Recommend a decent inexpensive tuner, would ya. Thanks.

• Members

I think all I bought this year was a Boss GT6B. Of course, in '06 I got a whole new rig and several basses, so I guess a year off to catch my breath may have been a good thing :) I did buy a new Tele body (MIM, wine colored) just to have fun with, but thats really it.

• Members

EBMM SringRay5 HS Natural

Ibanez RD900 MM+J with SD Basslines

A Behringer compressor (pedal)

a bunch of cables and strings.

for 2008 i woul like to get a Aphex punch factory, sadly it should be an international order, because none one here has decent compressor (pedals).

• Members

1) Neo-pak 3.5 - got one of the $410 ebay specials. I haven't had a lot of time with it, but I think this will likely become my #1.

2) Schroeder 1212R - This is an amazing cab. it is quite compact for a 2X12 and it absolutely kills. It can easily carry any room we play and has monster tone - the low end from this thing when I engage the low end tone shaping from on the GB...look out!

3) Lakland 55-01 - This is my second 55-01 and this one is a keeper. It is a little bight lighter then my other one (which I sold recently) and has a maple fretboard. It plays like a dream, but needs an electronics upgrade. I am putting nordstrand Dual Coil pickups in it and customizing the wiring. Depending on how those sound, I may convert it to a passive bass, or upgrade the preamp with a Bart, OBP-3, or Glockenklang - depending on which direction I want the tone to go.

4) Bunch of upgrades to my SX Jazz. I am especially happy with the way the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz have worked out in this bass. Sounds nice and full and gets a great slap tone.

In 08 I plan to beef up my investment in the PA.

• Members

I had a big end of the year with gear purchases and sales.

-Neo-Pak 3.5 ebay special. Still haven't plugged it in because I sold a cabinet to finance it.

-Sold my Avatar 410. Said cab helped pay for Genz head.

-Sold my fender P to finance a

-SVM fretless from Spark. It's going to Kindness (eventually) for a set up, strings, pots, and tuners.

• Members

DSC00317.jpg

Fender USA 75 Jazz Bass reissue. Awesome bass, I was unhappy with it for a while, I thought it was too clanky but it shines in a band mix, really cuts through.

DSC00307.jpg

Warwick Corvette $$. Lots of sounds in this one, versatile. It can go from huge and bassy to midrange honk to hi-fi treble tones

• Members

Well, got my Stingray 4 HS you see in my avatar.

Next year(2008):

GK 700RB-II or an 800RB with Avatar B212 cab.

Fretless Jazz. May get a MiM Fretless and mod it up replacing hardware here and there...project bass.

And maybe a few effects thrown in with the GK stuff. Dunno though.

• Members

Gear:

1995 Warwick Fortress One 5'er: Hot damn, this is one really tight sounding bass. The previous owner put new MECs and an active Seymour-Duncan preamp in it, and it really brings out the tonal range of this maple beauty. An excellent compliment to my Corvette.

Euphonic Audio iAmp Micro 300: Not much needs to be said, since there's a thread about it looming in the HCBF archives. Cribnotes version: ultra clean, lets the sound of the basses shine through.

Schroeder Mini 12R w/red rhino lining: A beast of a cab which the sound folk in the theatres in town love to death.

Phil Jones Bass Buddy: One handy little piece of equipment hands down. As a DI, practice tool (with headphones or driving the Schoeder) or just an EQ, it's probably the best piece of gear I've purchased. It came with a carrying case too, which was a bonus.

Accessories:

Bobelick 3/4 padded URB bag: BEST. BAG. EVER. Over an inch of padding, reinforced where it matters, huge zippers, ever bigger pockets (and a lot of them) and handles in convenient spots. Given the fact that it was half the price of a Moordian or Reunion Blues bag, it's even better.

Kolstein Heritage URB strings: Great strings for those wanting the feel & tone of gut strings, but the durability (and price point) of steel. Fantastic strings.

• Members

a pair of jbl mp418's, pretty nice fill up the bottom pretty well in small clubs, real chest thump though. They work well with my srx715's for small rooms.

4 ADJ led par64 pro's. versatile, low power draw, no heat could be a little brighter.

4 Chauvet 200bs, similar to the 64 pros, not quite as bright, wider beam, a good wash light.

2 martin scx500's, pretty kick-ass, bright, tight beam, easy to use.

LeMaitre radiance, absolutely bad-ass, it would fill a small club in no time, uses very little fluid.

dmx 55, decent, easy to program, same limitations of all MI controllers, nothing great, but a decent value.

cant remember when I bought my rb800, nothing to add here, it kicks ass.

bought a cheap ibanez, so I can take it apart and put in my dufle bag, it works.

just bought a Boss mini 4-track to record gigs, haven't checked it out yet.

Thats all I remember right now.

• Members

Lakland Darryl Jones DJ4 - For me, the ultimate jazz bass. Down sized body, block inlay, black sparkle finish, neck binding match head stock. Refined top notch construction and a great passive jazz bass sound. It plays so nice, like butt'r, you can't put it down. The best bass I've owned yet, and I know I've said this before about other basses, but I doubt I'll ever let this bass get away from me.

Schroeder 1210R Cabinet - Almost 30 lbs lighter and much smaller than my SWR 4x10 yet all the volume and lows I ever need. More defined punch and a much better horn. Another top notch piece of gear I don't foresee letting go for a long long time.

Boss TU-2 Pedal Tuner - Definitely serves the purpose I bought it for. It tracks pretty fast, is affordable and is very rugged.

EBS Multicomp - I'm very pissed about this because it's been almost two months and I still don't have it. I tried to support my locally owned store buying it through them and he told me it would be two weeks. They made me put half down and the {censored}ing loser store monkey doesn't even bother to check with what's up on my order. He says call him Friday, I do, oh, they are closed now and I was too busy to check on it. That guy is such a useless {censored}. If he doesn't know SOMETHING by tomorrow I'll be demanding my deposit back. I just hate to raise stink at a store I really like because of one loser.

Lakland 55-02 Deluxe - I bought it NYE from a guy on TalkBass. Don't have it yet, it will be here Friday.

2008 - I plan to buy a Tascam MP3 Bass Trainer

• Members

Agile AL-2000 in Silverburst: Amazing guitar, absolutely wails with the right setup. Never played a Gibson LP but I feel I don't need to now. This guitar is all I need.

Brice HXB-406: My new main bass, 6 strings of fury. Another one from Rondo that I adore. The quality is superb for only $200 and I can pull off some great tone with this puppy. Everyone told me I wouldn't need a 6 string bass but now that I have one, anything less seems limiting to me.

Behringer V-Amp 2: The ultimate effects box in my opinion. For only $100 bucks I doubt I will need anything else but a wah pedal. Great effects for both guitar and bass.

Hartke HA3500 Bass Amp: Haven't gotten the chance to try it out as I don't have a cab to run it through but I got it from a nice guy off talkbass so I'm not too worried. Great price I got it for too. :wave:

• Members

Marshall MB15 practice amp - nice, small good sounding practice amp for very little money. :thu:

Aria Pro II SB-1000CB - Awesome bass, I wrote a HC review for it that should be online soon. :)

Aria Pro II SB Elite II - Another awesome bass, I'm hooked on these things.

Tascam MP3 Bass Trainer - probably the best thing I have bought in 2007. I can practice a lot more than I normally do because of this.

Morley Power Wah Fuzz - huge chunk-o-metal, in both senses ;) Fun to play with. The fuzz isn't that pleasant but I prefer using my big muff for fuzz.

Boss CEB-3 - nice sounding chorus pedal, sounds cool on fretless and also sounds great for making noise. :D

Build Your Own Clone Screamer "TS 808" - hours of fun and frustration. I'll have to buy another byoc pedal.

Zoom H-4 - great little recorder that looks like a taser. :lol:

Lots of parts and other bits and pieces...

Stuff I'm currently waiting on:

B. Hefner 60's spec alder Jazz bass body finished in nitrocellulose sherwood green metallic.

Alesis SR-16 drum machine

Stuff I plan on buying in '08:

Pedalboard

Akai Headrush

Compressor pedal

Markbass LMII + cab(s) - undecided on which cabs to get. I'm going to wait to get the Markbass until I move. :)

Archived