Alternate Fingering

Womber

• Members

I had an instructor tell me to always use alternate fingering with my right hand when playing my bass. I have also heard other people say it doesn't matter. In general I try to do the alternate thing but sometimes when working from the G string toward the E string I may not alternate. Is this a bad habit that I should nip in the bud or is it no big deal and should I spend my practice time working on other things? Any insight is welcome.

• Members

I had an instructor tell me to always use alternate fingering with my right hand when playing my bass. I have also heard other people say it doesn't matter. In general I try to do the alternate thing but sometimes when working from the G string toward the E string I may not alternate. Is this a bad habit that I should nip in the bud or is it no big deal and should I spend my practice time working on other things? Any insight is welcome.

I play Bass with my thumb so I really don't know.

But alternating fingers seems to only effect speed.

• Members

I alternate 2 fingers on my right hand. It's faster and it looks better. But if I'm just riding the same note over and over I just use my middle finger, it's not as fast but it's more pulsating and sounds alot better. And if I need to skip from the E string to the D or G I usually use my middle finger becasue it's longer and lot quicker.

• Members

Use whatever feels most comfortable and sounds best.

There's no set technique, so it's up to you really.

I switch between one finger, two fingers, and three fingers depending on what I'm playing and how I want it to sound.

• Members

you should thump and play alternate fingerpicking... you should go through all the techiques you can, cose they will all allow you to sound/play better in different occasions...

i use my thumb, fingerpicking with 2 and 3 fingers... sometimes i even use my pinky, but that's less normal for me use then the others...

• Members

Well man all I can say is that I play with 3 fingers and some of the stuff I play just requires that quick of a transition for me. Maybe it's all in how you play it but I feel I use my 3 finger style a good damn bit. :wave:

• Members

I alternate two when I'm playing quarters, eighths and triplets, switch to 3 fingers for 16th at about 120bpm. I play chords with 2 or three fingers depending on the chord and I play with 4/5 fingers + palm muting when slapping.

Knowing lots of different techniques is good, just don't be lame and use either your index or middle finger all the time =P

Archived