OT: Bandwidth

xdamagexx

• Members

My computer is hooked up with a wired LAN from my fathers computer next door. so im mooching off his internet. but as of the past couple weeks for some reason my computer has been eating all the bandwidth. he will get on and it shows that he has a 6% rate. when he unplugs my computer it goes up to 70%. so there is something on mine that is using it up. before there was no problems. and the only thing i can think i have downloaded is Limewire and iTunes. which maybe lags it abit but not when im not using them and they are Exited off. Any sugestions or HELP.?? i don't wanna have to get my own internet. I likes to mooch. thanx

• Members

torrents.??? i know how to play games and get on here.. lol all i know is that i used to be able to play poker and listen to Sirius with no problems. i was talking to my wife just now about it and she told me she leaves her Limewire up. i have noticed that when i exit my LW it still stays up with a quick connect on the bottom right near the clock. so im gonna try to disconnect it from the File menu, and have him check his and see if that works.. hopefully that will be it. cause we spareingly use Limewire so hopefully that will work..

Thanx for the superfast responses..!!!!!!

BASS ON.

im at work Zeromus-X so when i get home either at lunch or after 5 i will try to download it.

• Members

Here's something. Limewire downloads can slow things down BUT limewire UPLOADS can do it even worse. The way networking works, your machine downloads a little, then sends a little info back for error checking. If uploads are severe, it can hamper another PC from sending the error checking info upstream, delaying it from downloading more.

• Members

cause we spareingly use Limewire

That's the problem. With peer-to-peer software... it doesn't matter if you never use it. Other Limewire users are downloading stuff from your PC. And that's what is using your bandwidth.

That is the first thing I would check before I download and install anything else.

• Members

thanx Pauly and everyone else for chimming in. Hopefully i can figure it out and get my pops off my back. gheese, slowing down alil bandwidth and making his pictures loading on Fotki slow has caused WW3 around here. plus im tired of having to call him and tell him to plug us back up. but who can complain when the net is free.

• Members

Right-click the limewire-icon next to the clock, click "Exit" or "quit" or whatever it says. Now Limewire is properly shut down.

that should do it for limewire. when you hit the X to close out of the program it does not really close. gotta kill it in the sys tray.

Archived