Jazz pieces

Pyralus

• Members

I've been playing Jazz for about a year now and I have been moving through less complicated pieces (some Pat Metheny a little Duke Ellington) and was wondering, as I would consider myself still to be an intermediate/beginner Jazz musician, what would be good pieces to get me moving towards more complicated and advanced material. I'm not playing upright (sin, I know) and tend to like playing fusion more than swing (though some of the swing stuff is hella fun) and I love to hear some of your guys' favorite licks.

• Members

Your next "logical" step, would be to start listening to Dizzie Gillespie and Charlie Parker. Then move toward Benny Golson and Thelonius Monk. That's where Jazz started getting a little more experimental with chord substitutions and passing tones.

But really... you can go anywhere you want. That's what's cool about Jazz. You don't necessarily need to follow any specific steps.

I like Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, Buddy Rich, Art Taylor, Ella Fitzgerald, and Dave Brubeck (to name a few).

But for a bass player... anything with Paul Chambers on it will be golden. He was (arguably) the best Jazz bassist that ever lived. He's worked with Chet Baker, Miles Davis, Benny Golson, Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Red Garland, Herbie Hancock... the list goes on. And he's done some outstanding solo work as well.

• Members

Doesn't have to be complicated to be great.

+1 to PaulyWally's suggestion - you can mine bebop and post-bop for years, nay, decades. :thu: If that's where your head's at.

Fave licks? Just about anything recorded by Ray Brown. He gets the nod over Paul Chambers for my favorite bassist, and mind, I love Paul... Ray, however, is the definition of tasty + energy + groove. Look for his records as leader, and especially as sideman with Oscar Peterson. As well as his duet records, one with the Duke, and separately, with Jimmy Rowles on keys.

• Members

Definitely Ray Brown. The 2-CD "The Last Recordings" or something like that is great stuff.

For some great piano trio work that's a little bit different, I'd suggest the Bill Evans Trio ("Sunday at Village Vanguard" and many others). Scott LaFaro was way ahead of his time, and every bass player Evans had could swing like crazy.

Archived