THE scariest movie EVER!

Westsailor

• Members

I stumbled across this 1984 BBC Docu-drama rummaging around google videos. It is a depiction of the lead up & aftermath of a nuclear exchange between the Soviet Union and the United States that (almost as an aside) includes the United Kingdom.

If this isn't THE most scary movie you'll ever see I don't know what is. While it's not chock full of the latest digital SF/X, it still makes movies like The Day After, etc. look like a old 'duck and cover' filmstrip. In fact, the very lack of such effects make it even that much more realistic/compelling.

The character dialog is somewhat hard to follow (thick English accents) but no matter, don't let that keep you from watching this. You'll want to pay more attention to the much easier to understand background newscasters & narrator anyway.

Although this is what nightmares are made of you owe it to yourself to watch this film. It DEFINITELY makes you think 'Jesus... what if...'.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5275628490749222181&q=threads+site%3Avideo.google.com&total=1011&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4

• Members

There was a whole string of "omg bomb" movies in the eighties. There was an American one as well...what was it called? The Last Day or something? The Day After, maybe? There was also a semi-lame one with David Rasche, but most of these were scary in one way or another, even that cartoon one.

• Members

There was a whole string of "omg bomb" movies in the eighties. There was an American one as well...what was it called? The Last Day or something? The Day After, maybe? There was also a semi-lame one with David Rasche, but most of these were scary in one way or another, even that cartoon one.

Yeah "The Day After".

• Members

Yeah "The Day After".

I remember those too but to me they were all Hollywooded up. Even tho they tried to convey the horror of nuclear war I still always felt they glossed over the actualities.

Unlike those however, there is a gritty, pull no punches, 'essence of reality' about Threads that strikes home and makes you shudder at the thought.

• Members

wasnt there one called the long winter or the dark winter...atomic winter

etc

which depicted after the bomb society

not only scary but possible

no special effects needed to shoot your people in the head so you can eat them

• Members

Ah yes, Threads.

A film of horror, and the ending is one of the most sickening mind-twisting things you could care to witness. No gore, no outrageous effects. You don't even really 'see' anything. But it will stay with you, haunt you, rape your will to live. It will dare you to forget to be greatful for everything you have.

Watch it.

• Members

'The character dialog is somewhat hard to follow (thick English accents)'

wtf

Had a quick look, the characters have pure Sheffield yorkshire accents, so to be fair it's probably not the easiest for americans to follow.

If it was van dyke cockney or beatles scouse they might have a chance :p

Archived