Your opinions on bass gear

Ori0n

• Members

I have been a huge fan of SWR bass amps for a very long time, going on 8 years now, before that I used crate because it was loud and I could afford it.

SWR has some sweet sweet tube tone, and I used their Bassic Black (pre-lawsuit model) until it died a very deserved death, and their 350x has served well ever since.

But I've noticed on here that alot of you prefer Gallien Kruger stuff, and I'm curious as to why you do prefer them, and your opinions on GK vs SWR.

I've never been that impressed with GK it all sounds very generic, but I am also not going to condemn anyone for their choice, to each their own.

Just wondering why you all enjoy it.

Thanks!

• Members

I'm not at all a fan of the SWR sound. Some guys like it and some guys hate it.

GK gets a lot of love here for making an affordable, good sounding amp, that is well built and lasts! I use GK in a metal band and it helps my basses be heard with integrity to sound of the actual instrument. It also adds a little something called "GK Growl" which is very nice...

I've also heard of SWR having many problems. I used to have an SWR cab...but I sold it. I enjoy lots of different gear...but SWR ain't one of them. I do like their Super Redhead combo...even though it's too damn heavy.

• Members

Ive only ever got as far as trying the working mans (or something like that) stuff in the shops. It all sounds good, but not good enough for the ticket price I thought.

But it is about personal taste and diversity, so if SWR floats your boat, then go nuts!

• Members

I will definitely look at GK next time I see one... i've never had the opportunity to play through one at any of the shops I've ever been too. They just never carried them

perhaps the "local" guitar center up near my university has one, i will see

thanks for the opinions!!

which model do you prefer?

• Members

Backline are entry models, very generic if you ask me.

Micro series are great for small clubs and uprights.

Artists series are where it's at and you basically have 2 options : the old fashioned RB800 or any newer model. Newer heads all sound about the same, they only differ in features and power. Th RB800 sounds warmer and thicker than the rest with an 80s signature, you may or not enjoy it.

• Members

I'm a fan of the SWR sound. Here's my old rig-

BassRig05.jpg

Rig.jpg

I sold it to pay bills. However, when it came time to replace it, I went with a different flavor. If I'm to revisit SWR, they sure as hell better have their QC issues under control. In the meantime, I'm enjoying other flavors-

NewRig07-2.jpg

I've been considering buying another GK head as well(the 800RB). I miss my old 400RB and played one thru my Bergie the other day. =:cool:

Another thought- if your in love with the SWR sound, you owe it to yourself to play thru a Thunderfunk.:idea:

• Members

I bought a GK800RB brand new in 1988.

I still use it, after hundreds of gigs of all kinds: country gigs, top 40, wedding stuff, hard rock, with singer-songwriters...name it, I did it, with that amp and an Eden 2x10 I bought in 1992, which I also still own.

It sounds great, it's easy to tote around, it's indestructible, and it's loud.

I love my GK head and that Eden cabinet.

• Members

The only SWR i tried was the red head in 2x10 combo. I could'nt find a tone i like.. Very thin sound, clanky as said Jazz. Not my taste.

In opposite, as soon as i plug my bass in a 400RB, it was there. EQ quasi flat, sounded tight, loud and fit perfectly to tone i was after.

Today i play a 700RB115 combo, and all i need is in this box. No more amp GAS....

• Members

It also adds a little something called "GK Growl" which is very nice...

I have to agree on that one. I love my 1001RB. Good amount of power, and I can dial in some good tone. I'm a fan of just your standard eq, I hate band eq's. Thats one of the biggest features(if you want to call it that) I love about that amp. Seems like its good construction, but one of the things I don't like is the fan for it is on top. Since it's rack mount I left the rubber feat on mine, and I also leave about 1 space open on top for ventilation. Also the preamp/tuner output is on front, making me have to run cables the the front of my amp(another reason why I leave a space open)

Other then that, GK all the way. I only paid like 600 plus some change for shipping when I got it, practically new.

• Members

I never was a fan of SWR. Too bright, too clanky. I like a solid, thick tone. GK can do that and respects the tone of my instruments. I play on EBS though.

I kinda see SWR the same way, although I don't have the warm fuzzies for GK so much - I've always been able to get a decent sound out of anything GK, but it just seemed like I had to work at it a bit too much...

- georgestrings

• Members

I've never been a fan of the GK sound.... I've payed a few SWR's that I liked.

I"m more of aN ashdown/Genz-Benz guy, and I actually really like my Yorkville and Peavey combos...

to each his own.

+1, except for the SWR part... I've always been able to get "my" tone out of Peavey, Ashdown, Yorkville, and of course, Genz-Benz... Other brands I really like are Markbass, Aguilar, TF, Mesa, and of course Bergantino... I also always liked and BagEnd stuff I've played...

I've always been able to get a usuable sound out of nearly anything Ampeg, but like GK, had to work at it too much - although they're completely different critters... The Ampeg exceptions are the B2R/RE, which I thought were totally lame, and extremely wimpy for it's rating - and SVT tube heads, and the SVT410 and 610HLF, which I thought both kicked mucho ass, and wouldn't mind having either(would LOVE to have the 610!!!)...

Of course, YMMV...

- georgestrings

• Members

$.02

Im pretty good at getting my sound through almost any amp, but I have preferences...At this time, I currently own an old (90s) SWR Red Head, a Hartke head, several Fender heads, and a Genz Benz GBE-750 (as well a couple bass combos including a Yorkville which I like a lot)......Over the years that I have played professionally (since the early 80s) I have played/gigged through just about every amp imaginable including Peavey, Ampeg, and GK.....

The Genz Benz is head-and-shoulders higher above everything that I have ever played through and is literally the greatest amp that I have ever owned and will be the only amp manufacturer I will play through for the rest of my career :thu:

• Members

Yeah, like georgestrings, I've found it to be a chore to get likeable sounds out of Ampeg's heads('cept for their all tube stuff). Otherwise, it's good stuff.

Genz Benz is growing on me, although it hasn't hit me over the head as it has so many others on here. :idk: I believe much of it has to do with the cab I'm playing thru. In fact, I believe the key to all this head love/hate is matching up with the right cab. I would never had bought the MarkBass head I have if I didn't play it thru a new Peavey Tour Series stack and was blown away. The same head sounded VERY blah thru MarkBass cabs. Likewise, I didn't like how the SWR750 head sounded thru an Eden 2x10 cab, but a GK head thru an Eden 2x10 is dreamy.

I still think more attention should be paid to more inspiring head/cab matching.

• Members

but one of the things I don't like is the fan for it is on top. Since it's rack mount I left the rubber feat on mine, and I also leave about 1 space open on top for ventilation. Also the preamp/tuner output is on front, making me have to run cables the the front of my amp(another reason why I leave a space open)

Sounds like you need a 2001 RB! It pretty much alleviates everything that you don't like about your 1001. And adds more power! :thu:

• Members

+1 on what Jazzy said about the SWRs, I don't like their tone. Wayy too clanky for my liking. Now, I like bright tones but not like that.

IMO, the amps have a tone that's a bit to bright. The cabs on the other hand are :love:. Indestructible, efficient, clean, just perfect.

• Members

IMO, the amps have a tone that's a bit to bright. The cabs on the other hand are
:love:
. Indestructible, efficient, clean, just perfect.

Yeah, I prefer their cabs to their amps.

Funny, with MarkBass, I MUCH prefer their heads to their cabs. I wonder what my LMII would sound like under my old Goliath Jr.III? :evil:

• Members

when it comes to SWR i've played a Workingman 400 through a 4x10 SWR cab.... it is very versatyle, it must be really intresting to use it in the studio....... but their gear really had a "thin" sound to me, even though i'm into brighter tones...

... i'm totally sold on GK gear now, and i've recently ordered a 1001RBII head... really sounds much better and really makes the instruments sound like they should sound.... it's quite transparent, though it adds a very cool growl to the sound, which i love...

• Members

Sounds like you need a 2001 RB! It pretty much alleviates everything that you don't like about your 1001. And adds more power!

Yeah I know, but its a 4 space amp! I mean yes it does have the preamp send/receive, fan, etc where it should be, but I don't need a multi channel stereo bass amp lol. Plus I would have to buy multiple cabs and this snowball effect of more gear I don't have money for lol.

Archived