The Career In Music

Hotblack

• Members

It's been an interesting year.

Last year, I gave up my 9-5 to pursue a career in music. So far, so good. I've done a wide variety of jobs, have multiple bands, always networking, etc... etc...

...but I gotta' tell ya'. There are some "interesting" people out there. Thankfully, most everyone has been well intentioned. Nevertheless, DAMN!

Is it just me or does this business have a wider variety of personalities than most? -or- There is a general "business code of conduct" in most day jobs. Does the music business have no code or just so many codes that I can't follow?

• Members
It's been an interesting year.

Last year, I gave up my 9-5 to pursue a career in music. So far, so good. I've done a wide variety of jobs, have multiple bands, always networking, etc... etc...

...but I gotta' tell ya'. There are some "interesting" people out there. Thankfully, most everyone has been well intentioned. Nevertheless, DAMN!

Is it just me or does this business have a wider variety of personalities than most?
-or-
There is a general "business code of conduct" in most day jobs. Does the music business have no code or just so many codes that I can't follow?

This business is like a cereal. It is filled to the brim with fruits, nuts and flakes.

• Members

i was always too much of a {censored} to give it a serious go.

Well... for me, it was either that or leap off my roof. My former job was really taking me to the edge. Luckily, I got some financial help before I made the switch, and I've been very fortunate thus far.

As scary and as uncertain as it has been at times, it is soooo much better than what I used to do.

• Members

I'm not good enough to make a living off of playing music. :lol: But, I agree. I do meet a wide spectrum of people, and so far, it's been a good experience. As long as you keep an open mind, it'll be a fun experience.

• Members

When I see all the "musicians" out there that DO make a living out of it, while they can hardly play at all I think to myself "I could do that".

Guess it's more nerve than anything. 90% is just showing up.

There's a difference between making a living (ie paying your bills) and making a career. If you want to make a career and be able to finance a retirement in music, you'd better know your s*** and be a true musician, not just someone that's making some cash floating around in local bands.

• Members

That...and not minding living in a broom closet of an apartment with a coffee table made from old stacked newspapers and an old pizza box.

Hence the reason I don't do it! I'd love to have a career in music..and like L said, be able to finance my retirement with it too...not just make some cash right now.

• Members

There's a difference between making a living (ie paying your bills) and making a career. If you want to make a career and be able to finance a retirement in music, you'd better know your s*** and be a true musician, not just someone that's making some cash floating around in local bands.

Never thought about it that way. Yes that does make a lot of sense. To be a session player, establish a reputation for yourself, a professional reputation.

The ones I see that can hardly play yet still manage to get into superstar bands just gets to me though. But I can let that go....:cool:

Archived