MM style pickup options

FebruaryStars

• Members

So I'm drawing near the end of my custom bass... and It's time to make a decision on a pickup. I'm already committed to a MM style humbucker.

I currently play a MM Sterling and want something with a similar tone. I have tried the Bartolini MMC and it lacks the mid that the sterling offers.

I was looking at the Nordstrand MM4.3 but the more I research it the more it seems it sounds more like a Stingray than a Sterling...

Anyone tried any Nordstrand or Delano pickups or any others in the MM style that might suit me?

• Members

I have the MM5.3 in my custom bass. I really can't say how it compares with the Sterling. I like it well enough; probably the most aggressive pickup I have in a bass, although it can be tammed by just turning it down a bit.

You need a deep pocket for the 3rd coil. I hope your bass is close to 1.750" thick.

• Members

Thanks for the quick input.

James, any idea which Delano's have a midrange bite... much like the Sterling? I'm looking for a little tone dif but want to stay tonally somewhere between my Sterling and my G&L SB-2.

Anyone ever tried the EMG-MMTW? I'm not a big EMG fan but it's a 3 coil pickup and I wouldn't have to rout the pickup cavity again...

• Members

Oh crap I forgot to get back with you on that. I'm at work so I can't really checkout ebay, but if you have the link handy you should PM it to me so I don't forget to look later

Ooops! When I didn't hear from you, I took it as a lack of interest.

I'll PM the link to you.

• Members

I've had a Nordy equiped Valenti at the house for extended review and recording. I really feel the Delano stuff has much more to offer.

All 3 of my Delanos are ceramic (FE) type. All have a good amount of mid bite when EQed that way. They pick up every little detail of your playing... it's amazing how much 'extra' dead and ghost notes come through.

I'd put them in all my basses if I could.

Archived