Help to learn chords?

lowndown

• Members

Does anyone know any (web) links to tutorials on how to best learn chords?

I was at my first ever jam/audition last night; and I've learnt bass through tabs, but really need to know chords to play along with the guitards!

I was thinking about doing the old 'put stickers all over the fretboard' thing, but there must be a better way to learn then doing that.

• Members

You do know when you play the chords you play them as arpeggios and not strum all the strings together....I mean, I'm sure you know that, but just throwing it out there.

Good book to look into is "The Bass Bible". Will show you all you need to know. It's a little on the expensive side, but worth it. As far as online goes look into:

http://www.studybass.com/

• Members

Playing a chord requires the sounding of at least two notes at the same time, and there's nothing wrong with doing it on a bass.

That said, the most value a bass player learns from knowing chords is for things like arpeggios and walking bass lines.

• Members

Try starting with one of these:

51MEFTF66EL._AA240_.jpg

There are several versions. I found one at a local music store to help me figure out some of the harder ones.

Also look for a book like:

93261.jpg

Then just start memorizing away. Then you can start learning the theory of chord construction and the triads, minors, blues, and other scales...

• Members

I play chord frequently. In fact, with this modern country, I play ALOT of arpeggiated chords, but there are occasions that I do strum s 5th chord. In order to get a good sound out of it I hit the higher note first while strumming. It sounds cool, but it has to be used tastefully.

• Members

Playing a chord requires the sounding of at least two notes at the same time, and there's nothing wrong with doing it on a bass.

That said, the most value a bass player learns from knowing chords is for things like arpeggios and walking bass lines.

Never played two notes at the same time on the bass. I've seen others do that, just never came up for me.

Think of it this way....playing a chord on a guitar is usually like saying a word. like "DOG"...while on the bass playing a chord you spell out the word "D-O-G".

Yes yes yes...shoot me down with all the theory and "so-and-so" plays it this way all you want...but for the most part that's it. I'm just trying to break it down into simple terms. That's all...

• Members

Are you wanting to learn chords to play on the bass?...or learn chords so you know what the guitarist is playing?

Chords for bass... so when the guitard says play F,D,G (or something similar) then I know roughly where to start!

• Members

Chords for bass... so when the guitard says play F,D,G (or something similar) then I know roughly where to start!

Well, ultimately when the guitarist is playing a G or an F chord....you're playing the root of that...namely a G or F note. But then you can get notes along that scale depending on the structure of the song. Sure, playing just the root is boring, but it works.

Can refer to this too:

20080104-b9m51uy3m49n9xaqsfcf8ars4a.jpg

• Members

Sounds like first you need to learn the names of the notes on your fretboard.

So you can at least play the root.

Then you can go on to scales, chord construction, and aripeggios.

Bingo! Thinking about it I could just draw up a table myself of all the notes on the fretboard on some paper, then pin it up and "look and play" doing it that way.

Think I just need to practice and memorize the notes!

• Members

Bingo! Thinking about it I could just draw up a table myself of all the notes on the fretboard on some paper, then pin it up and "look and play" doing it that way.

Think I just need to practice and memorize the notes!

Its not that hard.

First memorize the open strings.

Then memorize the notes:

ABCDEFG

Then remember this fact:

There is ONE FRET between E&F and between B&C

There are TWO FRETS between every other note.

Now pick an open string, the E, and count it up:

Open its E

1st fret its F(remember 1 fret from E to F!)

2nd fret its F#(or Gb) same note

3rd fret its G

4th fret G#/Ab

5th fret its A

6th fret its A#/Bb

7th fret its B

8th fret its C(remember 1 fret from B to C)

9th fret its C#/Db

10 fret its D

11 fret its D#/Eb

12th fret its E (you always wind up on the same note as the open string an octave higher at the 12th fret.)

Now do the same with the A string

open: A

2nd B

3rd C (remember 1 fret from B to C)

5th D

7th E

8th F( again 1 fret from E to F)

10th G

12 A

D string:

D open

2nd E

3rd F(1 fret from E to F)

5th G

7th A

9th B

10th C(1 fret from B to C)

12th D

G string:

G open

2nd A

4 th B

5th C ( 1 fret B to C)

7th D

9th E

10th F( 1 fret E to F)

12th G

Pick any note

Remember the open string note

count up, 2 frets for each letter EXCEPT B to C and E to F)

You'll have it down in no time.

• Moderators

Pay attention to what is being said in this thread, explore more on the internet and get this book (or one like it, I just happen to really like this one) so you have some sort of logical layout for the information.

Better than all of that above is get an instructor that understands your learning needs.

• Members

Also, be sure to check out studybass.com. it's all free and can help. Even have a nice fret-board config that you can print out.

+1 on this site. It explains everything in an easy to read and understand way.

Archived