Significant equipment change ideas

countrybass

• Members

I was hanging out the other day at one of the venues we play at watching another country band and their sound guy struck up a conve4rsation with me about my gear. He made a few suggestions that I wanted to run by you guys. He told me that I should continue to use my rack, but pull the head and the cab. Instead of the head use a Line 6 bass pod and instead of the cab use in ears. Some of my band uses in ears, but I'm old school and I have grown accustomed to not being able to hear well on stage, lol!! and feeling what I play. Obviously, it would be alot easier to transport. We gig 2-3 times per week. So I don't know. It's so different for me. Actually I was thinking about adding an 18 to my rig. That's when the sound guy told me about this other way.

• Members

You will be fudged if they have a sucky PA, there is nothing wrong with what your saying imo.

It's just personal preference, try it out without getting rid of your other gear first, maybe see if you can borrow a similar/same set up for a gig?

• Members

It's all personal preference. I wouldn't...but that because I like to feel what I'm playing...like you mentioned. I'm also not really a fan of the POD or any digital modelers for that matter. Plus, what if the club you're playing only has a tiny PA that can't handle the bass..and is really only meant for vocals?

I'd use the in-ears though! Much better than floor monitors...

• Members

I've been running direct w/o an amp on stage for a while now and I like it. I just line right out of my Boss GT-6B, which sounds great to me. Both guitarists run direct and the drummer is using Roland V-drums, so stage volume is practically nothing even with floor wedges.

If acoustic drums were part of the equation, then I'd definitely want in-ears if I ran direct.

• Members

It's about what's gonna inspire you to play better, give you that edge. The only thing I prefer over a real rig, is change. ;)

I ran DI-only for a few years when I was playing 1-4 worship services a week. Just my DI box to the snake, and a Yorkie 1x10 wedge for my signal. I dug it for awhile, but missed having a rig, even in that setting.

I can see myself digging a Line 6/in ear setup for awhile, but I know I'd miss my real rig. Then again, I'm got gigging 3+ times a week any more.

• Moderators

A predictable reaction when repeatedly exposed to Poltergeist's "pearls of wisdom"... Maybe someone should ask him how well that set-up has worked for him???

- georgestrings

Reading his posts puts me back in the mental state I was living with my wife when she was sick. You start doubting your own grasp of reality when faced with so much absurdity. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. Though, you guys agreeing with me isn't helping my argument that I'm sane... :freak:

• Members

There is nothing wrong with going direct. If you have the PA to handle it yourselves, that puts you in a particularly good situation to do this. Unless you need the flexibility of a bass pod, I would suggest skipping that and finding a preamp that gets you "your tone" and going direct with that instead.

• Members

It's all personal preference. I wouldn't...but that because I like to feel what I'm playing...like you mentioned. I'm also not really a fan of the POD or any digital modelers for that matter. Plus, what if the club you're playing only has a tiny PA that can't handle the bass..and is really only meant for vocals?

I'd use the in-ears though! Much better than floor monitors...

All valid points - I also don't care for IEMs because they make me feel "disconnected" from my bandmates and the audience... I also like to be able to move around a bit, and hear "different" stage mixes - IEMs take that away from you(although some like that about them)... They definetly have their uses, but I prefer my rig and a wedge in front of me to IEMs - to each his or her own, though...

- georgestrings

Archived