Are Rancid & Social Distortion considered punk?

guitargod0dmw

• Members
Ness is a cool cat. I met him, John, Chuck, and Dennis (R.I.P), after a show in Phoenix in '96. He talked to everyone, and gave them his undivided attention. Talked about his '56 Caddy, prison, his dead friends... down to earth for sure. One thing's for certain, if his music isn't punk, his life sure was (still is?).

Got autographs, one of John's pics, and some good stories.

Worst thing about SD... tickets are now $30, and after Ticketmaster gets done raping you, they're closer to $40. Ouch.

: Aww, you guys kissed and made up... that's not very punk.

err... I mean... umm... willsellout your like... a total bitch...etc :blah::poke:

:o:D:p

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...
  • Members
2 of my favorite bands, and I never put too much thought into it before. I think yes...but what do you think?

Yes, of course they are Punk--it's silly to think otherwise.

Social D. are part of the original American Hardcore movement, in fact.
Before American Hardcore Punk became a codified, entrenched "chugga-chugga" sound, and was much more an attitude and perspective...

I'm not a huge Rancid fan, but OpIvy were cool--and were a damn fine live band. :cool:

For what it's worth, I started going to CBGB's Sunday NYHC Matinees in 1986, lived and breathed HC Punk for years, and took much from that time that still informs me today...so that's my personal POV on the question. Other folks' conceptual mileage might vary. **shrugs**

All best! :)

• Members

Yes, I think they are both punk. The first time I went to see Social Distortion was in a tiny little club with maybe 100 people there. I remember after the show, there were a bunch of skinheads listening to a bootleg tape they had just recorded of the show on a boom box. Mike Ness walked by, grabbed the tape out of the boom box, and smashed it into a thousand pieces. As you could imagine, all hell broke loose after that. It was a punk rock night for sure.

• Members
Yes, I think they are both punk. The first time I went to see Social Distortion was in a tiny little club with maybe 100 people there. I remember after the show, there were a bunch of skinheads listening to a bootleg tape they had just recorded of the show on a boom box. Mike Ness walked by, grabbed the tape out of the boom box, and smashed it into a thousand pieces. As you could imagine, all hell broke loose after that. It was a punk rock night for sure.

That's not punk! :mad:

Jerry Garcia would never have done that and he's the baddest punk of them all.

• Members

I think the problem with most people is they know a couple of songs by SD, and base their entire opinions on those couple of "radio songs"... I {censored}ing hate those radio songs. Not because it's a sell-out, or corporate, just because they are {censored}ty songs.

You want good Social D punk rock, listen to the whole Mommy's Little Monster album, the 1945 EP, and my favorite: the whole Prison Bound album. Then you can make a sound judgement.

And t3ch, wasn't it the punks that dyed their mowhawks, and not the metal heads?:poke:

• Members
You want good Social D punk rock, listen to the whole Mommy's Little Monster album, the 1945 EP, and my favorite: the whole Prison Bound album. Then you can make a sound judgement.

+1

And t3ch, wasn't it the punks that dyed their mowhawks, and not the metal heads?:poke:

:lol:

• Members

Yes, but I never said I took part in the metal scene, or any other scene. Well, apart from dressing like a slob with jeans/black band t-shirts in high school anyway. I do what I want and don't give a {censored} what anyone else says, unlike most of these {censored}ing posers I don't hold myself to others arbitrary standards just so they'll give me the time of day.

Wait, does that make me punker than most punks, or do I have to be dressed from head to toe in ugly ass hot topic clothes to even be worthwhile? :confused::rolleyes:

• Members
Yes, but I never said I took part in the metal scene, or any other scene. Well, apart from dressing like a slob with jeans/black band t-shirts in high school anyway. I do what I want and don't give a {censored} what anyone else says, unlike most of these {censored}ing posers I don't hold myself to others arbitrary standards just so they'll give me the time of day.

Wait, does that make me punker than most punks, or do I have to be dressed from head to toe in ugly ass hot topic clothes to even be worthwhile?
:confused::rolleyes:

You don't have any Hot-Topic clothes? What a {censored}in poser! :rolleyes:

• Members

The tricky area is what defines a real punk.

"punk" is more of an attitude and lifestyle rather than music style, the style just comes as a result of the expression. and it does tend to be more underground oriented and anti-mainstream publication. the music is meant for themselves and loyal fans who share similar views, not for corporate rape and pillage.

• Members
Punk is much more than music, it's an idealogy, a mindset, a way of life. The line is obviously blurred, especially when having a discussion about music, so I think some leniency needs to be given on both sides of the argument. Personally, I try to differentiate them a bit by making reference to punk music, punk rock or whatever, and plain and simple punk. Social D has not ever really been true punk rock, but Mike Ness is a punk, make no doubt about it.

Nobody I have ever known has accused me of not being punk. I am, I live it every day of my life.

Do I still live on the streets like I did when I was 15?

No.

Do I still have a shaved head, long braided goatee, multiple piercings and wear DM's 365 a year?

Well, I still wear DM's, but no on the other accounts.

My life may have changed as I aged, but one thing has not and will not ever die inside me, and that is that fire, that punk spirit. It has and always will burn inside me.

And if anyone ever tried to call me a sell out for working in an office or having a normal hair cut or dared to accuse me of not being punk for whatever reason, I'd be telling them to get in the ring with me and my size 13 8 holes but quick.
:mad:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 etc. when people ask me if im punk i figure if they have to ask, then they are clueless anyway. my answer is usually this, i am who i am, i wear what i feel like at the moment, and feel the same, and have the same {censored}ed up views as when i was a kid on the streets. i change my look day to day, but whether im wearing my tattered band tshirts and pants being held together with pins, or wearing my hair up in a nice pro style and a nice dress, doesnt matter, doesnt make me who i am and what im about.

Archived