Are Rancid & Social Distortion considered punk?

guitargod0dmw

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think older SD is, and their new stuff is more like a punk influenced rock type thing. It's actually really good...Sex, Love, and Rock & Roll...pick it up and give it a listen.

They are both considered punk by everyone except for punks.

Real punks don't consider bands like that punk because they don't fit with the punk dogma: If it's popular then it must be bad.

That's kinda what I figured...

• Members

They are both considered punk by everyone except for punks.

Real punks don't consider bands like that punk because they don't fit with the punk dogma: If it's popular then it must be bad.

even a real punk couldn't deny Rancid's credentials.

they could accuse them of selling out, but their history can't be denied.

Operation Ivy is the greatetst punk band from just about the greatest punk scene ever.

• Members

Operation Ivy is the greatetst punk band from just about the greatest punk scene ever.

Agreed. I don't worry about labels too much, but I was remembering a conversation I had in high school with some kid...and he was asking me if Green Day was punk...in which I replied...maybe their old stuff like 39 Smooth & Kerplunk...but otherwise no. It got me thinking...thats all

• Members

+1 Million!

Especially on the Op Ivy comment. :thu:

Jesse Michaels is my favourite songwriter, the lyrics he comes up with are genius.

Rancid are considered Punk. I'd say that Social Distortion is more punk rock, but I haven't listened to a lot of their stuff just a few songs.

• Members

Agreed. I don't worry about labels too much, but I was remembering a conversation I had in high school with some kid...and he was asking me if Green Day was punk...in which I replied...maybe their old stuff like 39 Smooth & Kerplunk...but otherwise no. It got me thinking...thats all

I usually think of Green Day as Punk Rock, even the older stuff. Maybe the older stuff is a bit more punk. :)

1039 Smooth is an awesome album! I could listen to it over and over, and I do! :love::cool:

• Members

I agree with everything you said.

The tricky area is what defines a real punk. There are some "punks" who will call Anti-Flag sell outs.

• Members

I think older SD is, and their new stuff is more like a punk influenced rock type thing. It's actually really good...Sex, Love, and Rock & Roll...pick it up and give it a listen.

That's kinda what I figured...

+eleventy3

I have a Social D tattoo on my arm. Love the band, and that is a great album, one of their best yet.

They were punk at one point, I think they matured more into just rock and roll. And if you ask Mike Ness about it, which I have.... he will say "It's only Rock and Roll baby. That's as simple as it gets."

• Members

That reminds me of a story I heard Billie Joe once tell...

"A kid came up to me on the street one time and said 'What is punk?'

So I kicked over a garbage can and said 'That is punk.'

So the kid kicks over a garbage can and says 'I'm punk.'

To which I replied, 'No, that's trendy.' "

• Members

That reminds me of a story I heard Billie Joe once tell...

"A kid came up to me on the street one time and said 'What is punk?'

So I kicked over a garbage can and said 'That is punk.'

So the kid kicks over a garbage can and says 'I'm punk.'

To which I replied, 'No, that's trendy.' "

That's funny! I guess Tim Armstrong once asked Billie to be in Rancid, but he turned it down wanting to stick it out with Green Day.

• Members

There is a link in Rummy's sig...

That's funny! I guess Tim Armstrong once asked Billie to be in Rancid, but he turned it down wanting to stick it out with Green Day.

Not sure how I missed the link, thanks.

I had never heard that before, considering at their lowest (once they broke commercially) Green Day has still always outsold Rancid, you have to wonder about that.

• Members

I had never heard that before, considering at their lowest (once they broke commercially) Green Day has still always outsold Rancid, you have to wonder about that.

I read it on Wikipedia...

While Rancid was writing for a follow-up album, Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong, a friend of the band, joined them to co-write the song "Radio". This led to him playing a live show with the band. Tim Armstrong eventually asked Billie Joe to become a member of the band, but he opted to stick with Green Day. Tim had previously asked Lars Frederiksen of the UK Subs to be Rancid's second guitarist, but he also turned down the request. After Billie Joe declined, Frederiksen changed his mind and decided to join Rancid.

• Members

Both are always punk. Rancid's allowed certain punkrock manifesto digressions because of the Op Ivy history and that they never changed sonically for anyone.

Social D is/has always been themselves regardless of when the records are made. it was punk in the early 80s, punk rock in the early 90s, rock in the early 00s, but its all the same music since day one.

Has anyone heard Tim Armstrong's latest? its badass.

Archived