Played with a new band today.

L-1329

• Members

Been a few months since I've played anywhere, so it was fun to get out. This was a band I answered from craigslist, and we played through about six tunes. I played pretty well, and they seemd to like it. Took my LeCompte P/J, and just the SWR 12 stack and GBE rack. This is rather meaningless, but it was kind of cool to get a lot of compliments just on how my rig looked, even before I played anything. Something about all that chrome and the blue LED's that just says 'cool'.;) They also liked the LeCompte, which I appreciate and enjoy bringing out. Doesn't hurt that it also sounds great, as long as I do my part. The music was mainstream covers, and went allright. The lead guitar player was very good, but I think that the band is a little weak with the vocals. Not bad, but not the best singers I've played with. Drummer had a nice steady rhythm, but his bass and floor tom really sounded boomy, muddy and bad. They seem like real decent people, have some goals and contacts, and will probably play out semi regularly. In previous calls one guitarist did say they had other bassists to talk with, and I said afterward to give me a call after they played with the others. I guess they were impressed enough since they said they weren't going to try anyone else out if I wanted to come back. Certainly nice to hear things like that, especially after not playing for so long. So, I think as long as this band stays focused and moving forward with set lists and learning our parts, it might be fun and I will probably get to play a few shows soon. I'd like a few things to have been better, but I have learned over time that having the right people is more important than technical perfection, and this might improve in time. So I'll see where it goes.:cool:

• Members

Thanks! I think I'll have a good time with this one, and I'm probably just bummin' a little thinking about my last band essentially just fading away. That one was super fun to play with when it was going strong, more my prefered style of songs. This one though, I think will be a solid if not great band, but it seems like everyone has been around enough and knows what they want from it. That's a big plus too. Now I really need to get my basses fixed and up to snuff. May get the Explorer back this friday (crosses fingers!), and if I do it's getting the FretFx. Maybe I should take that one up next time and see it goes!:cool:

• Members

a cover band with weak vocals? No way! Do those exist.

end sarcasm.

Seriously, if they have weak vocals I wouldnt waste my time. Cover bands are a dime a million. If the vocals suck it only adds to the emptiness of whatever dive bar you are playing that night.

• Members

They don't suck, they're just not the same level as other singers I've known in the past. And cover bands that only want to play once a month, that will fit in with the insane crazy schedule I live with, that have stable, good people, who have the means to book gigs, who know how to play, are one in a million around here. I'm not out to make a side job of playing or become the biggest best local band, just to enjoy some decent gigs now and then. :cool:

Archived