Bass for rock band?

Bassist101

• Members

I'm hoping on someone else's intake on this... I play bass for a wicked band and our style is between metallica GNR & ACDC Type of music I would say... what type of bass should I purchase for this type of genre?? I currently have a {censored} bass with a peavy 300 combo wich I love the amp... Just looking for a different bass.. wondering wich way I should be heading Thanks!!!

• Members

I'm hoping on someone else's intake on this... I play bass for a wicked band and our style is between metallica GNR & ACDC Type of music I would say... what type of bass should I purchase for this type of genre?? I currently have a {censored} bass with a peavy 300 combo wich I love the amp... Just looking for a different bass.. wondering wich way I should be heading Thanks!!!

Budget?

I'd say a precision for that kinda stuff although a jazz will work too.

A PJ gives you the pbass thump and the J pick up gives a bit more treble which can be nice when playing with your fingers.

of course loads of manufacturers make ps and js so it will be your budget that decides that.

Just my 2cents

Chris

• Members

I currently have a cheap yamaha typhoon SUPER cheap lol.. but i was broke when I bought it... My budget would be approx 600$

Well, you might be able to find a used Stingray in that price range. I would also look at P's, J's, and P/J's...but that really kinda leaves a big window.

Of the two bands you mentioned Cliff used a Stingray, and Duff uses a P/J.

• Members

If you plan on using the same tone/timbre on every song (a common practice with heavy rock), my suggestion would be

If you are a finger player:

A Jazz Bass (or similar mid/bridge PU system) or a StingRay

If you play with a pick:

Fender Precision

If you play both fingers and pick and switch tones quite a bit:

Fender Jazz (or similar), G&L L-2000/ASAT, or Ibanez SRX

• Members

id say the G&L L2000, but you can get a used USA one for the budget on. Just gotta look around.

Or a Ernie Ball SUB 4 if your on a tighter budget, i toured with one for a a bit, cool bass.

Best sounding P/J bass I have played is my Warwick Fortress one. Or back in the 90's fender made this active bass, I think it was called like a p-bass special, its a mexican made with p/j and kubicki controls on it. had a smaller body, and a pickguard. I had one and it was great sounding. I wish I still had it actually.

I agree with the Jazz Bass, a p-bass is always nice. I loved my 77 fender p-bass. Or even some of the Squier MIJ 80's ones are nice.

• Members

Damn...

Just after I replied to your Rondo post.

Which is it: a $119 SX or a $550 Tribute?

:D

Hey pal, I play a rondo bass, and LOVE it. :cop:

Everyone that sees my bass (And knows what a bass is) is impressed by it, especially the quality. No one believes I paid $200 for it :D

Not to mention my Agile LP copy... it owns an Epiphone LP

Archived