Why do your basses rule all other basses?

willsellout

• Members

Professional standard seems somewhat skewed today. there are bassists I respect who make far less money than bassists I know they are better than. Professional seems (in this capitalist identity) a word that centralizes around money. A professional makes a living off of what they do. I know professional bassists that barely seem to grasp the concept of their instrument, compared to starving artists who float notes into poetry.

Professionalism in the musical world seems skewed...

• Members

SXJ-57: The first bass I really took my time on, in regards to rewiring and modding it. Spec for spec, it's a '62 Fender which impressed the hell out of the old Gibson guys in town when I took it in to get setup.

SXP-57: It was fun to beat the crap out of it and relic it, but also to learn (in a crash course manner) about routing out holes for batteries and preamps. The only thing I may do to it now is rout out a spot for a J pup near the bridge, side mount the input jack and get a new pickguard in the style of the one on my J.

Warwick Corvette: It's the longest owned one I have, so there is a lot of smoke and sweat ingrained in it now from 11 years. Still feels like "home."

Warwick Fortress One: I would've probably bought this back years ago if the Corvette wasn't used (and thus, half the price). The sound on this is super tight and dry, which really lends itself well to any situation.

• Members

always like seeing that big 7 but...my girlfriend walks up behind me and wants to know where you got your sheets

My mother in law got them for us for Christmas.... catalog order, maybe Domestications or Brylane. She gets us a 'bed in a bag' set most every year. I'll ask the wife which catalog this one came from later.

[edit]it's on clearance CHEAP!!!! if you need full or queen...

http://www.brylanehome.com/decor/Wish-You-Were-Here-Comforter-Set.aspx?PfId=10810&DeptId=15328&ProductTypeId=2&PurchaseType=0

it's a real light weight Summer set. The wife thinks it'll be back in the catalog for summer

[/edit]

• Members

Waterstone TP 12 string bass - it's the ULTIMATE bass guitar!!

Waterstone Brighton 64 - warmest, ballsy-est tone of my 4 stringers

Waterstone Indra I - Short scale, one PU, flatwounds = vintage heavenly thump

Waterstone TP 8 string bass - easier to play than the 12ver, sounds HUGE and looks kick ass!!

Rickenbacker 4000 - my first bass, has that KICKin' RIC tone, piano-y metallic sound

Fender Highway One P-bass - gotta have one in the collection!

• Members

normally I would post a picture of my 2001 jetglo 4003 and say something stupid like....because its a Ric and well it does rule based on that alone but this time I am going to have to go with the SX 75 J copy I got a few months back

I love the feel and sound of it.

• Members

normally I would post a picture of my 2001 jetglo 4003 and say something stupid like....because its a Ric and well it does rule based on that alone but this time I am going to have to go with the SX 75 J copy I got a few months back

I love the feel and sound of it.

This post has me rethinking. If I picked just one, like you've done, it would be this one:

ducttapelove01a.jpg

It cost me $29 (minus the cost of the botched paint job underneath) plus the cost of the duct tape. It was setup by Kindness with flats, a new jack, new pots and a fretjob.

It is BY FAR my favorite bass of mine to play.

• Members

Warwick Thumb 6 bolt-on, with SD Basslines pickups: It's just awsome. Mid-90's model, got it used from a former Warwick endorsee. Not the most versatile bass in the universe but a sound that cuts through any mix, and the Basslines make it stand above standard Warwicks. It's aggressive as hell, which is good because I play metal. A rich, deep, full sound.

It took a bit of getting used to but none of the horrible neckdive I expected. I like the way the neck feels really full in my hand.

It's not too pretty, but it's still hot... like that girl in school who had a pretty ok body, a reasonably ok face but was an absolute monster in bed.

When I brought it to band practise the first time and plugged in, my bandmates noticed the difference immediately. And that says it all.

Me

Washburn XB-120: my 'cheapo' bass. For the price, build quality is very, very good. Pretty to look at, translucent blue finish. HOT HOT HOT pickups, crazy loud bass. I use it for black metal. Solid build, fat thick sound, cheap as hell and now unique as Washburn has discontinued them. Nice!

• Members

Professional standard seems somewhat skewed today. there are bassists I respect who make far less money than bassists I know they are better than. Professional seems (in this capitalist identity) a word that centralizes around money. A professional makes a living off of what they do. I know professional bassists that barely seem to grasp the concept of their instrument, compared to starving artists who float notes into poetry.

good point...perhaps i could make a living playing root 5 and penta whirls...

but i like to be creative..make mistakes...:rolleyes:

• Members

Gibson EB2 Because It thumps even with the bass boost turned off with it on it can out thump even thumper and it's 44 yrs old so it's older than most of the people here or at least a large majority of them/

Schecter C4 Because it has a very fast 5 pcs. maple and walnut neck,Mahogany body with a maple top,antiuqe amber finnish. S TEK bridge (what a bitch to set) and EMG HZ pick ups maybe not the best choice in pups but they work and the preamp is pretty versital. And it's mine.

Epi T BIRD Not a Gibson but it is one of the best Ive played. And Again It's mine.

• Members

80's Tobias Basic: Plays great, sounds awesome, looks great, very hard to find these days.

Mouradian CS 74: Plays great, sounds awesome, looks great, almost impossible to find.

Alembic Exploiter: Sounds viciously wicked, looks awesome, not many black ones around.

Ristola Fretless: The best playing/sounding fretless I've ever encountered, looks nice, and there isn't another quite like it.

Ristola 5 string: The best playing/sounding 5 string I've ever encountered, looks nice, and it was the first of its kind.

80's BC Rich Bich 8 string: come on, I don't need to explain this one, do I?

I can't really pick a favorite. I've toyed with the idea of slimming down the collection since realistically I don't NEED so many basses, but I can never pick one. They're all awesome, and irreplacable; knowing that I could never find another one keeps me from selling any of them.

• Members

Welcome to the musical status quo.

:wave:

• Members

G&L SB-1 1988 model, lefty, four string. Discontinued in 2002-2003??? Think Precision on steroids. Ultra-hot passive pickup. Huge sound. Great neck.

Alembic Orion 1998, lefty, four string. Absolutely straight neck, practically perfect. Excellent string action throughout the neck. No dead spots. Gorgeous woods, excellent workmanship. Excellent tones can be dialed in.

MTD Kingston 2005, active pups, lefty, five string. I bought this after I met and talked with the man MT himself, asking for suggestions on lower-medium priced basses. Asymetrical neck, which I will never, never, NEVER buy another bass without one. Excellent comfort, especially after four hours of gigs. Great bass for the money. Available in black only! :mad: This is the only bass that I might do some modifications on later.

Carvin LB75 1992, lefty, all mahogany, neck and wings, raw finish (must be oiled). Stacked active humbies. Black hardware. When all is said and done and I have played all the other basses at home or at practice, this is the one I walk out the door to gig with. I can make her do anything at any time, almost at will. Just by increasing or decreasing finger pressure it changes from boomy-country type sounds to metallic-modern sounds, without changing a knob at all. It might be the amp or it might be the guitar, but it has a sweet sound that I can get without coaxing at all. And, with a little coaxing, I can get several good, usable tones. This one is my workhorse, my taxicab (for you guys who know what I mean ;) ). This is the one I earn money with. Some of you unlucky guys have heard an early CD (years ago) of my playing with my band, and most of what you heard came through the Carvin. I know that guys will put them down and complain about the electronics, but I am playing her stock...no changes whatsoever. I never felt the need to change anything out. This is the one that I would replace.

Archived