fretless fender jazz

SunofNothing

• Members

I want to get a fretless bass. Something cheaper, just to mess around on mostly. I know the squire fender fretless jazz bass is cheap.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

I saw one at guitar center and played it but wasnt impressed by the tone.

So my question is, should i get that one and replace the pickups or just spend more money and get this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Fretless-Jazz-Bass-?sku=516046

i mean obivously the second one is going to sound better, but is it worth the 200 bucks? Plus i really like the looks of the squire better.

Thanks.

• Members

Personally, I thought the Vintage Mod Squier sounded BETTER than many of the MIM Fenders I've played. What amp did you plug in to?

Do you have an idea of tone that you want? Most fretless Js will do the Jaco thing if you solo the bridge pickup, beyond that it starts to get complicated.

If you intend to buy and upgrade, try an SX. I'd rate them more on par with standard Squiers all around but they also cost less, and make good platforms for mods especially if this isn't going to be your No. 1 gigging bass.

www.rondomusic.com

Given the chance, I'd go back to GC and try some different amps with the fretlesses they have. Also, consider boosting the mids on whatever amps you use. Most shops cut them, and fretless sings a lot better with more mids.

• Members

i pluggged into a ampeg ba115 combo. And yes sir i did boost those mids.

Tonewise i like alot of mids and bass. Normally i keep tremble at 5, mids at 10 and bass around 7.

Sounds like i should go back and try it some more, maybe i could dial it in better.

And speaking of SXs my friend has a P-bass of their with flatwounds. You're right they are real nice for the price and the tone is more what i want. Heck i could buy it off him and defret it.

• Members

So here is what i think i will do-go back to gc and try messing with the squire tone more and then play the SX again and go off that.

I really the like the look and bulid of the squire more but im a total tonewhore, so i think i will end up with the SX.

Thanks dudes!

• Members

I have had two inexpensive fretless jazz basses:

A DIY defretted SX and Squire VMJ

I prefer the tone and playability of the SX. For some reason, I just can't get used to the Ebonol fingerboard on the Squire. I had and sold a Cort Curbow for the same reason.

• Members

I have had two inexpensive fretless jazz basses:

A DIY defretted SX and Squire VMJ

I prefer the tone and playability of the SX. For some reason, I just can't get used to the Ebonol fingerboard on the Squire. I had and sold a Cort Curbow for the same reason.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess - I really like ebonol boards...

- georgestrings

• Members

I just picked up the Squire fretless about a week ago.

Actually, 2 weeks before that, I bought a used MIM Jazz with the intent of getting a fretless neck from Warmoth, but loved the way it played while slapping. So, after that, and getting $200 in GC giftcards, I ended up going for the Squire VM.

I'd played the model many times at GC, and initially, I wasn't impressed with how it sounded. Actually, I wasn't impressed because of how much it sounded like a fretted bass when I played it (typically, I'd play it on either their GK head/cab, or the Ampeg combo), hardly any "mwah."

Anyway, in the store, I'd played it with everything at max, plucking near the bridge. Once I got it back home, I got to experimenting with it, and found that if you want the "jaco" sound, you need to solo the bridge pup, and roll off the tone knob (actually, found that out during an internet search).

Now, for more "mwah," I found that playing over the neck pickup and rolling off more tone gets you pretty close to an upright sound. Plucking while using the neck as a thumb rest almost makes it sound like a sitar. lol!

I got back into playing over a year ago (after a 12 year hiatus), and wanted a fretless since the early 90's. As my first fretless, I'm pretty satisfied with the Squire.

If you go back to play it, try some different configs with the control knobs, along with some different right hand positions.

• Members

The VM Squier I played, believe it or not, was very well set up. I attribute that and the very low action to a large part of the playability and tone. I'm sure the right tweeking will make the Squire mwah like anything-- the one I played did.

• Members

I want to get a fretless bass. Something cheaper, just to mess around on mostly. I know the squire fender fretless jazz bass is cheap.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

I saw one at guitar center and played it but wasn't impressed by the tone.

So my question is, should i get that one and replace the pickups or just spend more money and get this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Fretless-Jazz-Bass-?sku=516046

i mean obviously the second one is going to sound better, but is it worth the 200 bucks? Plus i really like the looks of the squire better.

Thanks.

If it isn't a sound your after, than it won't necessarily be better. The MIM fretless jazz's I have tried sounded nice, but they are warmer sounding than the VM fretless. That is to expected, though, the MIM has a RW FB and had flats on it. If you're looking for mids I would play around with the SVM more.

My friend has an SX fretless P that he got new for $109 + shipping. With new strings that would be a great bass. It plays well and sounds good, but the necks are a little strange. Its really wide(1.75" nut) but thin front to back.

There is another option. When I was looking for a nice fretless I ended up falling in love with my Warwick Corvette. You can find them used for $600 or so. I got mine at GC $750 new. I know its more money than you want to spend but they are really nice basses. And it will have more mids( and a mean growl too) if thats the sound you are after. My point in this rambling is there are more basses out there the Fender and fender clones. If they don't deliver what you want then why settle when there are many more options out there.;)

Archived