McCain v. Obama in 2008? Who saw this 2 months Ago?

jasper383

• Members
although theoretically possible, it would never happen.

and if it did, it might be the best thing to ever happen to the US health care system because we'd finally stop relying on insurance companies and find our way to a better solution.

i can't stand john edwards. he made an entire career (and made himself exceedingly wealthy) by putting good, dedicated doctors out of business. that being said, he's one of the few people who has come out and said that as long as insurance companies remain retardedly profitable, healthcare reform will never benefit the majority of americans. of course, he doesn't seem too interested in tort reform, go figure...
:mad:

He just goes after the Rich....it's the new american way!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My wife works for Cincinnati Children's Hospital. They are very much in the black financially. Part of it has to be decent management. They make it a great place to work. (They employ almost 10,000 folks in the Cincinnati area.) From my perspective, they have great benefits for their employees. (I'm a type I diabetic melanoma survivor who happens to have great coverage under my wife's plan.) This, amongst many other factors contributes to them being top 10 in the country in many many areas of care.

So, anecdotally, striving for excellence is one way that hospitals get cash.

actually CCHMC did something very unique. it made them insanely profitable and very secure.

• Members

I wasn't aware that healthcare was suffering at all, let alone bankrupt. Wanna make some money? Invest in a hospital or pharmaceutical corp.

Lug beat me to it... Just for grins, google Milberg Weiss, or Bill Lerach - and check out the connection to Edwards - or the Clintons, for that matter

- georgestrings

• CMS Author

I wouldn't want to be an OB doc. The malpractice rate (caused largely by ambulance chasers such as Edwards) is through the roof. But I know what you're saying. It's hard to believe that a Hospital would have a tough time rolling in the dough.

You'll excuse me if I'm not sobbing for the OB/GYN's. When my first daughter was born in 1990, the total cost was $14,000. More than half went to the OB/GYN. When my second was born in 2000, with the same basic care and delivery, it was $48,000.

I know people who work for UHS, the parent corp that owns about 40 hospitals and facilities nationwide, and UHG perhaps the nation's largest healthcare insurance provider. Neither are hurting in the least, not by a long shot.

The only people who are being screwed are you and I who are paying out the ass for health insurance coverage that gets worse and more expensive every year.

• Members

You'll excuse me if I'm not sobbing for the OB/GYN's. When my first daughter was born in 1990, the total cost was $14,000. More than half went to the OB/GYN. When my second was born in 2000, with the same basic care and delivery, it was $48,000.

I wonder how much of that extra $ is going towards their malpractice insurance.

• Members

your OB likely spent (on average) $248,000 last year on malpractice insurance alone. complain all you want about the insurance company and the hospital, but let's see who's around to deliver your next child. you'll be lucky if you can even find someone to do it - many OBs have stopped delivering and prenatal care and only do GYN now. here in florida, it's standard practice to go bare (ie no malpractice coverage) for the OB practices.

so good luck to you. god help you if you ever need heart surgery or neurosurgery. then instead of feeling bad for the OBs, you can feel bad for yourself when there's nobody willing to help you because their malpractice rates have gone up 500% over the past five years *without* having been sued or had a judgement against them, and at the same time their salary has dropped on average more than 30%.

• Members

You actually pay your medical bills? :confused: I had heard that there were some people who actually did that, but I've yet to meet one.

• Members
your OB likely spent (on average) $248,000 last year on malpractice insurance alone. complain all you want about the insurance company and the hospital, but let's see who's around to deliver your next child. you'll be lucky if you can even find someone to do it - many OBs have stopped delivering and prenatal care and only do GYN now. here in florida, it's standard practice to go bare (ie no malpractice coverage) for the OB practices.

so good luck to you. god help you if you ever need heart surgery or neurosurgery. then instead of feeling bad for the OBs, you can feel bad for yourself when there's nobody willing to help you because their malpractice rates have gone up 500% over the past five years *without* having been sued or had a judgement against them, and at the same time their salary has dropped on average more than 30%.

Yup, and to add insult to injury an MD can be (and is more likely to be) sued by a patient that is receiving care pro-bono or Medicaid/Medicare.:freak:

The standard for suing a Doctor should be raised to gross negligence that results in permanent injury. And this joint and several liability crap has to go too, and across the board.

Finally, we need the English Rule. You sue and lose, you pay the other guys legal fees. That will end frivilous lawsuits very quickly.

• Members

so who won and who is a crybaby today ?

wow, back on topic. How refreshing!! Obama won with Hiillary at a close second. McCain won for the Repugs, mittens second, huck a {censored} in 3rd

mr paul, dead last...RIP

• Members

You'll excuse me if I'm not sobbing for the OB/GYN's. When my first daughter was born in 1990, the total cost was $14,000. More than half went to the OB/GYN. When my second was born in 2000, with the same basic care and delivery, it was $48,000....

...The only people who are being screwed are you and I who are paying out the ass for health insurance coverage that gets worse and more expensive every year.

My daughter (western US) had a baby last December (2006) in a small town where the hospital's "nursery" consisted of pushing a baby bed into mom's room. Total cost - $7000. Granted, there was no ultra-sophisticated machinery on hand if needed - they would simply have put the baby into an abulance for delivery to a larger hospital where those machines were available. There were machines on hand that covered multiple medical procedures, but not the elite machines. My other daughter (Atlantic coast) delivered in (August 2006) another small hospital for a grand cost of $6000-$8000. Her baby did have multiple medical problems and was whisked away to Wake Forest for the next 32 days, where the expenses were considerably more...and the machines were state-of-the-art.

A couple of close friends are doctors - anesthesiologist and g.p. - and each pays over $100k per year toward medical malpractice insurance to ward off the lawyers. I also know a couple of other docs who simply "retired" in their late 50's because they were tired of the race to pay rent, pay workers, pay taxes, pay insurance for workers, pay medical malpractice, etc., only to have some lawyer threaten to take away what they had earned because some patient who didn't follow doctor's orders didn't heal exactly right.

• Members

I know people who work for UHS, the parent corp that owns about 40 hospitals and facilities nationwide, and UHG perhaps the nation's largest healthcare insurance provider. Neither are hurting in the least, not by a long shot.

The only people who are being screwed are you and I who are paying out the ass for health insurance coverage that gets worse and more expensive every year.

Are you freaking kidding me?

That's insane.

My labor and delivery (vaginal) was $8600-4 months ago. Infant care in the nursery (which is bull{censored} since she roomed with me the entire time) was $2000.

Where the hell do you live?

Was it a normal delivery? Was your baby in the NICU? If so, I can see it being that costly.

As for Hilary "fighting back tears", I think it was a {censored} move and it totally turned me off.

Archived