"cleaning" dirty pots ??

Azz301

• Members

I've got a GK 700RB (I think its getting a little old now) and a few of the knobs produce a crackling sound when turned, but are ok when they are left alone.

I'm told these are just dirty pots. So how hard are they to clean? Can I do it myself, or should I take it in for a service?

I have very little electrical experience.

• Members

You can try spraying down the shaft but you need to spray it from the inside or you'll just waste a lot of cleaner. The method differs depending on the pot but usually you can get the extension in an opening around the three terminal lugs which in your case will be against the PCB. Sometimes you can spray through the back. Just look for an opening in the shell. Given your experience, you'd probably be better off taking it in.

• Members

You can try spraying down the shaft but you need to spray it from the inside or you'll just waste a lot of cleaner. The method differs depending on the pot but usually you can get the extension in an opening around the three terminal lugs which in your case will be against the PCB. Sometimes you can spray through the back. Just look for an opening in the shell. Given your experience, you'd probably be better off taking it in.

100% correct - no offense to guitargod0dmw, but in my experience, spraying it down the shaft doesn't accomplish much, except to waste cleaner/lube... I've had my best results with Peavey's Funk Out, but have also made out OK with Caig's De-Ox and the stuff from the local RadioShack... The key is to get something that cleans and lubricates - otherwise, you'll end up replacing pots anyways... If you ever saw the inside of a pot, you'd see the part that rotates and makes contact - it's called a wiper - that area is what's usually making the noise, and is contained in the body... The wiper is *usually* accessable through an opening either by the terminals, across from them, or both - and that's where you want to spray, using the little straw that comes with the cleaner... I've bought alot of used amps, and blowing them out with compressed air, cleaning the pots and sliders as described, then blowing them out again is something I always do - besides making sure everything is up to snuff electrically and mechanically - you'd be amazed at the difference this can make...

I also agree that if you don't think you've got the skills to take the chassis out of it's box and re-install it without hurting yourself, or damaging anything, then you probably *should* take it to a tech... If you were in my area, I'd hook you up for nothing - but a cleaning *shouldn't* cost all that much, and IMO amps should have one periodically...

- georgestrings

• Members

100% correct - no offense to guitargod0dmw, but in my experience, spraying it down the shaft doesn't accomplish much, except to waste cleaner/lube...

No offense taken. It's worked for me, but it was with a pedal. My SA GT2 actually...the pots were really scratchy, and that pedal isn't the easiest to take apart. I've never really had to do pots otherwise.

• Members

Careful....the cleaners can make more of a mess than they clean, depending on the pots. Call a tech with G-K experience to be sure.

It's more of a question of cleaners and solvents. Pots/controls are designed knowing solvents will be used on them. Any commercial cleaner designed for controls is safe.

• Members

How would gutargod0dmw's advice apply to a Marshall JCM 900 volume knob?

Not very well - you still have to get to the wiper assembly, which is accessed through the pot's housing... Look at it this way - the shaft is *supposed* to be sealed, to keep crap outta there...

Also, poking around inside of tube amps without basic knowledge can get you hurt really bad - SS amps are somewhat safer in that regard...

- georgestrings

• Members

You might be able to 'clean' the pots without a spray solvent. Just turn the pot from one side to the other 0 - 10 ( 0 - 11 on marshalls !! ) and keep doing this about a hundred times ( or less ).

If your amp is just a couple years old this will probably work okay. The problem starts because we find a good setting on the amp that we like and then leave the pots alone. After time the elements conspire to coat the surface with junk or oxidation and when we finally do decide to adjust a pot it sounds scratchy because the wiper is partially insulated from the coil part of the pot with the junk/oxide. If you adjust a pot during a performance and it stops on one of these 'dirty' areas, you can experience a degraded signal.

Periodically rotating all the pots like I described above should be enough for most recent vintage amps.

Older amps that haven't been played in a while and have been stored in less than ideal conditions will benefit from a good hosing of the pots with a contact cleaner or similar product. Store your amps with a cover if you have one, or cover with a sheet or blanket in a clean, dry area, indoors. Someone on this group said if you wouldn't live in a space ( cellar or garage due to dampness or temperature or dust) - don't store your amps in there either.

Archived