Anyone know anything about Gibson stuff?

Goofball Jones

• Members

Is that supposed to be Jimmy's page's again? Or another famous stolen guitar I'm not aware of....

(Jimmy Page's was serial number 91703 according to google)

No, actually just got that number and picture off the Vintage Les Paul Guitar Registry. Like the look of it. It's a '59 and probably could go for $250-500K easily.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/registry/index.php

• Members

True story...2 years ago a buddy that is not a regular ebay seller asked me to help him sell his Les Paul ... Neither one of us new much about Les Pauls but we were able to determine that it was a 1970 model sunburst and that was about it...He had paid about $1000 bucks for it...A local dealer had offered him $1500 when he was thinking of selling but the guy was a jerk so he didn't do it...He wasn't sure what to do...We listed it on ebay starting the bidding at $1.00 with no reserve...It sold for $5500.00 ....Turns out it was a rare transitional model '59 reissue with no volute and and special pick-ups and a special one piece bridge...Vintage instruments are a whole other world...The thing was nice but it wasn't that nice.

• Members

I like the part about fretting the fingerboard and THEN glueing the fingerboard to the neck...
:eek:

That was standard practice in the 1950s, I have a book that chronicles the Gibson factory with pictures of assemblers with fretted fingerboards before they glued them to the neck.

There is a vintage guitar shop not far from me that always has at least one original 1958/59/60 sunburst LP in stock. I got to try one with the warning that it was worth $400,000. The vintage guitar market is crazy.

Archived