Have a pest problem for my fellow Bass-players

bassordeath

• Members

We bassists are the most clever people on earth. So here goes: I have squirrels tearing the crap out of my yard! Anyone know of any effective methods to get them to go away? I cannot shoot a gun in my neighborhood and have no problem chasing them to my neighbors yards! And I have a dog that uses the back yard so I cannot put down anything that might make him sick. (Lazy mutt should be getting rid of the squirrels!) Any help would be apprecited. I will report back on effectiveness of your ideas.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The squirrels do like to eat the bird food from the bird feeders. Occasionally, they will dig up bulbs, too. :mad:

My dog used to keep our yard free from squirrels. Now he can't hear or see them, the poor guy. :( It's fun when one gets close enough for him to sense, though. Then, it's on! :D

• Members

I've got a crapload of squirrels, but I honestly don't think they do a bit of harm to my yard. What can a squirrel do that's so bad?

They planted a ton of walnut trees in back yard of my last house. I was yanking those things out almost daily. No squirrels where I live now, just skunks, moles and gophers. Pretty sure the skunks keep every other above ground critter way. I'd rather have the squirrels.

• Members

This is good stuff. My dog can catch up to them be he cannot stop accurately (he is obese) and so he just sort of rolls over them. And they are absolutely tearing the yard to bits digging and burying their little nuts and who-knows-what-else. I just want to discourage them somehow and google did not give me anything good or sure-fire. I'll try anything you guys say that makes some sense.

• Members

JacieFB urine.

Truly. Damn opossums were pooing in our yard and for some reason, our dog thought it was perfume. :mad: Occasionally during the summer months, I'd help the dog do a little large carnivour scent-marking along the fence line, and we've been mostly opossum-free. Aparently, this type of thing works for skunks, too.

• Members

BB guns don't work, I'm sorry to say. I guess, that is, unless you are at close range and can actually hit one in the eye with high enough PSI to lodge the BB into the beast's brain.
:freak:

Nonsense!!! A pellet gun would be better than a BB gun, but I've taken down plenty of small game with both. Hell, that's what my childhood summers were made of. Most of the shots were at a good distance too. You don;t have to hit them in the head to kill em' either. A well placed vital organ shot will certainly kill them. Even a bad shot that only hurts them at the time will kill them eventually. They don't have a hospital to go to, so they will bleed to death or get an infection.

This is a PCP pellet gun...with the barrel shroud I was talking about...

talonss_angle_lg.jpg

talonss_side_lg.jpg

In .22 cal this gun with the right pellet will take out racoons, skunks, opossums, porcupines, rabbits, and other critter of that size. A cute little squirrel would be no problem at all! :thu:

Don't bother with a .177...just get the .22.

• Members

A .177cal air rifle that will reach or exceed 800fps velocity will most definetly kill squirrels - and can be had for around $100, if you shop around... Be advised that in most states, there is a season on squirrels, and you would be considered "hunting" - so an appropriate small game license could come in handy, should any of your neighbors try to get you busted for it...

- georgestrings

• Members

Nonsense!!! A pellet gun would be better than a BB gun, but I've taken down plenty of small game with both. Hell, that's what my childhood summers were made of. Most of the shots were at a good distance too. You don;t have to hit them in the head to kill em' either. A well placed vital organ shot will certainly kill them. Even a bad shot that only hurts them at the time will kill them eventually. They don't have a hospital to go to, so they will bleed to death or get an infection.

This was kind of a problem for me. Maybe my gun wasn't that powerful? It is one of the older pump style...pump it 10 or so times...okay, I'm not gonna lie...pump it 20 times. :D I first tried just aiming for its ass. I pegged it pretty good at about 15~20 yards. Didn't phase it. I'm sure he had a brused little rump afterward, but after a couple of shots, it didn't even knock him off the bird feeder. It was like the pain was so unimportant when compared to the need to eat. My wife is a bit of a softie, too, so if I didn't take care of it in a couple of shots, I was...umm...compelled to quit shooting. As to your other point, neither of us could really stomach having the poor things limp off to bleed to death.

• Members

-snip-

That's a funny story! I'm guessing it wasn't powerful enough too. I'm surprised though...even getting shot with a red ryder hurts like a bastard. Like bleeding welts kinda hurt...

I can't say that I would ever enjoy watching something limp off, but it has happened. It's totally inhumane, and as a hunter I'm against it.

• Members

That's a funny story! I'm guessing it wasn't powerful enough too. I'm surprised though...even getting shot with a red ryder hurts like a bastard. Like bleeding welts kinda hurt...

I can't say that I would ever enjoy watching something limp off, but it has happened. It's totally inhumane, and as a hunter I'm against it.

I found that I was a pretty good shot with the thing. I could have hit the thing in the head. But I couldn't take the possibility that it wouldn't have killed it.

I've got the blood of a soldier and a hunter in my veins...but it's pumped by the heart of a big vagina.

:D

Archived